Power Supply 500W FlexATX PSU

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
First version of drawing complete!

Today I've finally completed a first version of the drawing! Link to PDF.
If anyone finds a mistake or has objections, please tell me! The division of connectors to the 12V rails is not final, everything else seems pretty much fine to me.

I'll add this to the first post so people can find it easily.
Wait, what's this for? I didn't understand this thread?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
For a production run of a custom version of the FSP500-50FSPT. This drawing, after ironing out any mistakes, will be what FSP can base their quote on.

Imagine a group buy, but for a PSU :)

Reactions: ricochet

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
First version of drawing complete!

Today I've finally completed a first version of the drawing! Link to PDF.
If anyone finds a mistake or has objections, please tell me! The division of connectors to the 12V rails is not final, everything else seems pretty much fine to me.

I'll add this to the first post so people can find it easily.
Is P2 a 'jumper' to connect an outboard -12V generating solution? P11 is also absent from he pinout description.

My gut reaction would be to split P4 and P5 between the 12v1 and 12v2 rails, as almost any use case requiring two PEG connectors will have the GPU as the highest drawing load. Maybe:
P1 (ATX) on 12v1, P3 (EPS) on 12v2, P4 (PEG1) on 12v2 and P5 (PEG2) on 12v1. That way the 'low power' ATX + PEG use-case is evenly distributed between rails, and both the CPU and GPU can their draw between rails when fully populated.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Is P2 a 'jumper' to connect an outboard -12V generating solution?

That is correct.

P11 is also absent from he pinout description.

Ah yes, P11 should be implemented as a header inside the PSU or left unpopulated as most people won't need it. I forgot to remove it, thanks for the heads-up!

My gut reaction would be to split P4 and P5 between the 12v1 and 12v2 rails, as almost any use case requiring two PEG connectors will have the GPU as the highest drawing load. Maybe:
P1 (ATX) on 12v1, P3 (EPS) on 12v2, P4 (PEG1) on 12v2 and P5 (PEG2) on 12v1. That way the 'low power' ATX + PEG use-case is evenly distributed between rails, and both the CPU and GPU can their draw between rails when fully populated.

Yes, I feel like this might be the best way to do it. I kind of fear that people might use a high-powered CPU and GPU and then overload 12V2, but with both rails being equally rated, there's not much to do better there.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Ok, I submitted a corrected version of the drawing and a final list of modifications for the PSU, which are:
  1. Modified cable harness
  2. Black case
  3. No "Full-RPM" of the fan on start-up
  4. No external cable retention (my unit didn't have that, but I included it for completeness)
  5. Mounting flange at the front
Unfortunately, requirement 3 might not be possible to implement and with bad luck requirement 2 could raise the MOQ to 500, but so far I don't know for sure either way. I'll post a proper update once I get more info, and then we can still decide what route to take if there are multiple choices emerging.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Small update: I've created a spreadsheet to collect all information required for running this PSU properly.

Google Docs link

For now, information in there is limited to extension cables, but that already should be quite useful for everyone. If you have any additions, just add them to the spreadsheet.

Reactions: Phuncz and Ceros_X

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I can't give an ETA yet because I have to wait for FSP to respond to my inquiry. Depending on their schedule it could still take a few months, even if we ordered today.

GeSong

Chassis Packer
Jan 27, 2017
I can't give an ETA yet because I have to wait for FSP to respond to my inquiry. Depending on their schedule it could still take a few months, even if we ordered today.
I'm not in a hurry to get a PSU. Whenever this custom version is open to order, please shoot me a message and I will be glad to order one.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
FYI FSP tells us the FSP500-50FGGBN, a 500W, Gold-rated flexATX PSU will have -12v, with samples scheduled for June. They also have a least one other higher wattage flexATX in development.

Reactions: Phuncz and jeshikat