Stalled 3.5L HTPC Case- Made for Ryzen!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Why not just Wraith Stealth? I believe that was the cooler that was being talked about, which is the stock one for Ryzen 2200G and 2400G. The regular Wraith is taller, as you've noticed, and doesn't come with the APUs anyways.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Huh? I thought the wraith came with it....... Do you have a model of the wraith stealth....

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I don't have a model of the Wraith Stealth. But the only difference between the two is that the Stealth has a shorter heatsink, but they use the same fan.

The Wraith Stealth's heatink is approximately 20mm, and total wraith stealth height is 54mm also referenced here.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
So just a bunch of picks of what ive done as of now.... Click on the image to view all the images, something is broke i think...

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018
Yeah I agree, the Wraith Spire is way too chunky for this case. Its not really 'applicable' either, as it does not bundle with an APU. The Wraith _Stealth_ should however be a better fit, and is the cooler that is bundled with all Ryzen APUs.

Edit: What is the approximate height of the case in the previous model with the noctua cooler?

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
As @CC Ricers , if we use the Wraith steal, it will be at least 20mm shorter......

I think it's perfectly fine to limit the cooler height to 54mm (Wraith Stealth). It's a 65W-rated cooler that ships with current AMD APUs, and in case AMD starts making APUs with higher TDP, there are many third-party sub-54Wmm coolers rated 100W or so.

By the way, the SSDs under the motherboard will very likely interfere with underside PCB components and extensions of topside components.
Most boards come with an M.2 slot on the back anyway...

Last edited:

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018
I agree with theGryphon concerning SSD type, M.2 SSDs only would be the optimal config in this case :)

However, with the added height that could come with the Wraith Stealth, maybe 2.5" SSDs can be accomodated elsewhere anyway, without sticking them under the mobo?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
As you see, one above the duplex and your probably right about the ssds

Reactions: ebc92

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
Yeah, at this size, don't put anything under the motherboard. In fact, I would perforate the panel on the back; it would help to breathe from that side to avoid hot spots.

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018
I'm on mobile so i didnt realize there was a full album - solid modeling work! :)

After seeing the full gallery, these are my thougts:
  • Reduce case height to fit wraith stealth instead of the spire
  • This will make the case too low for the 80mm fan, which i think is an ok compromise
  • Reduce case height further by removing 2.5" SSDs under mobo (can fit above HDPlex instead)
  • If the fan is removed, move power plug to sit above I/O shield and reduce case to original width

Reactions: Obelisk

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
^ Yup. The case height with 54mm cooler support would come down to ~70mm + 2 x material thickness. Given that you don't intend to support high-TDP components, I would get rid of the side fan, perforate both sides, the top (duh) and the bottom.

Beside the SSD on top of the brick, the height of the case would allow (with a little concession) to install SSD's on the side panels but I don't know if that's something you'd like to pursue.

A last idea I have is to ship with a full-cover top bracket that enables installing the SSD (which appears to be floating now :p) as well as a 120/92mm top fan. This way, no matter the heatsink, one can use any 120/92mm fan on top (plus the added few mm's between the top panel and the fan would help reduce the turbulence noise)...

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
Forgot to add, yet another plus for a top bracket is enabling a fan filter if the user would like one ;)

Edit: I just realized you already have all the perforations I was talking about :oops: :thumb:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Food for thought, to make a case that can accommodate a Wraith Stealth cooler and enough room for SSDs on the back side of the motherboard without interference, it would have to be at least as wide as the InWin Chopin. And that case is just under 3.5L so you'd have to know if you would want a layout like that (with the HDPlex in place of a proprietary power supply).

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Shouldn't... shouldn't you be using a Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 for this kinda build.

https://noctua.at/en/nh-l9a-am4

It just seems like waste space to include the support for larger coolers. Also the Noctua would be more efficient and quieter. or like the cryorig C7 Cu seems like better options

http://www.cryorig.com/c7cu_us.php
'

Many will go the apu route to save money. Originally it only supported that cooler, but I decided to support the apu's stock cooler for this reason, plus, it give me room for ssd's

mrp0p1nfr3sh

Average Stuffer
Sep 4, 2017
Makes sense. i just figured instead of investing in the GPU a cooler is a smaller cost and worth while. but the added SSD space is nice

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Pics soon, made an extrusion wraith stealth height, and placed it in the model. With the ssd mount, there will be no 300w support, and this may be the last run through, before I send the design to protocase (I guess that's who I'll use) and get a quote.
I'll leave this google form HERE, to get an idea of how many of you want one. (to assist in protocase's quoting) i may also get a quote from sliger designs aswell. PLEASE,. do not abuse this in ANY way way (spamming etc) as this is important data.

Reactions: ebc92