Stalled 3.5L HTPC Case- Made for Ryzen!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
As this is an APU case, I think the case at a minimum should support the Wraith Stealth cooler that comes with the 2200/2400G.
This will help keep cost down when adopting your case and will likely attract more users the way I see it. This also implies support for other cooling configurations, which is a big pro. It already requires an investment in a picoPSU, so you might not want to force the user into investing in an aftermarket cooler also. I'm guessing this implies support for HDPlex 300W support as well, but I'm not 100% sure on this.

With a case this small, I think a front I/O-less design is favorable because
  • you have very easy access to the rear anyway
  • it reduces a lot of cable clutter inside the case (this is a big pro)
  • keeps production cost down
  • it looks really good.

I'd also be interested in seeing this case in a mini-tower form factor, something akin to Lazer3D's HT5 only downscaled. This would mean stretching the width of the case, putting the PSU below or above the mobo, instead of in front.

Using this configuration you also bring some flexibility to the case - like the previous posts state, fan support could be beneficial. Maybe this additional space could support either a dual SFF fan setup, or an internal power brick, depending on the users use case?

Edit: Just checked, if you designed the case with Wraith Stealth support, that does indeed also mean supporting the 300W AC-AC. This could possibly be replaced with 2x 40mm fans if the PSU was positioned below the motherboard.

Are you planning on actually going to production with this case?

I'm going with a modular front.

Not going to put psu below, as it wastes space.

I am planning on production.

Fan support? I'll work on it....

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Whats the point of 300w support? 65w cpu is easily run with the 160w, and even if you wanted to overclock, youre still limited by the cooler. Unless there are expansion slots, there doesn't seem to be a need for the 300w.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Agreed with @Jello and even a 120w power supply will give you enough headroom to run a moderately overclocked Ryzen and RAM. At stock you can even maintain under 100W on load.

The HD Plex 300W and 160W power supplies differ by 10mm in width. So it's more of a matter of how large you want your case to be. If that is enough of a difference to warrant making the case smaller, go for it. But your mileage may vary and not sure if that will matter much for your needs.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I think the priority is like this:
1. Get enough CPU cooler room (if your ambient temp is 30C, you'll need it). Stil got room to install case fans? Awesome.
2. Support 160W internal AC-DC.The extra room also allows you to support 300W? That's a bonus :)

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
That might be what you consider the top priority, but that might not agree with the case designer. Again, why do you find it so necessary to have the internal 300w psu?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
That might be what you consider the top priority, but that might not agree with the case designer. Again, why do you find it so necessary to have the internal 300w psu?

Me? I think there's a miscommunication here.. I don't need the 300W PSU. I agree with opinion that 160W PSU should be enough for an iGPU build.

I just mentioned a possibility: a room for non-super-low CPU cooler may allow the case to also accept 300W PSU, that's all.

And yeah, @ebc92 has a good point about the Ryzen's Wraith CPU cooler. It's a good idea to accommodate this one.

Reactions: ebc92 and Jello

Feingeist

Chassis Packer
Mar 4, 2018
I think 160W is enough to power an APU solution. But the main question is the high of CPU cooling i think. At the most solution are 50mm. In my opinion thats a limited way. In fact the Noctua 9.. is a very good cooler, but in my heart i need more cooling.;)
I wish to use an Thermalright APX 100 or a Noctua 12.
Just my 50 ct
Greetings from Germany
Bert

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018
I never argued for the 300W AC/DC-brick. I did however make a case for the Wraith Stealth cooler, which incidentally implies 300W support because of the added height required by the cooler :)

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Okay- I want to tie this up. IF you use a 160w, I think I can fit a 2.5" drive there, and two will go under the mobo. There should be room for an 80mm fan or two on the c14 plug side.

QUESTION TO EVERYONE:

DO we want IO or not?

Going without and with is basically the same price. If we go modular, anywhere from 20-50 dollars more.

also, how is CPU cooler height measured? from top of CPU?

Feingeist

Chassis Packer
Mar 4, 2018
"I think I can fit a 2.5" drive there"

an ODD...?

Btw. i like front IO, or at the side for cleaner style
Bert

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
"I think I can fit a 2.5" drive there"

an ODD...?

Btw. i like front IO, or at the side for cleaner style
Bert

No, a 2.5" ssd. We shall see about IO- due to varying opinions I may have to go modular.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I believe for a HTPC or media PC, 2 x 2.5" drives + front IO would be great. You can easily plug remote IR receiver, earphone etc. It doesn't have to be modular to save cost tho. You can perhaps create 2 types of front plate without the need of going modular.

IMO what you're creating can be a good alternative to In Win Chopin, which, IMO:
- Somehow still not really space efficient
- Non standard PSU (although I believe it can use HDPLEX 160 AC-DC too)
- only 43mm CPU cooler height

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Working on new cad models now, and I've been thinking.... How many of you actually would buy one of these at an estimated 100 USD (max)? Also, i think I'm going to get rid of the modular idea. It's either IO or no io. decide now, guys.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Working on new cad models now, and I've been thinking.... How many of you actually would buy one of these at an estimated 100 USD (max)? Also, i think I'm going to get rid of the modular idea. It's either IO or no io. decide now, guys.
No front io. Just power switch.
No point in front io with a case this small.

Reactions: ebc92

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Also if you can get this going ASAP. I will lol. I’m bout to buy all the hardware for stepdaughters pc XD

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018
I'm also in the no I/O camp. A build in this case for me would be a product of SSF passion as opposed to necessity, and as such a potential order would depend a great deal on the final result. The price does seem reasonable though, and i also believe it has very little competition in the APU segment of the sff market.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
No front io. Just power switch.
No point in front io with a case this small.

My feelings exactly. But hey, some want it. Or, to those who want it, get one of these. I think the IO is just going to cause complications, and make it MORE expensive. The original goal here was simplicity, and I would like to stay with it. I belive @ignsvn and @Feingeist Wanted io. If I could have you guy's opinions, that would help me sort this out.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
LOL I feel like the bad guy here. I guess in this situation you should take decision as the case designer.

Btw perhaps you can share the latest update if any?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Not really. I halted CAD design until I get these things sorted out. You aren't the bad guy!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Okay, so adding wraith support makes this think REALLY chunky..... It's sorta ugly in my book, but if it's necessary, I'll do it.