Stalled 3.5L HTPC Case- Made for Ryzen!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks to @ignsvn I have some new layouts to work with. I also got a case similar to this case, which I can modify for prototyping.

Reactions: ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Glad can help.

In the first diagram, I use 80mm fans, but I might be wrong with the total stacked components height. Worse they can be slightly taller or better, shorter. If shorter then you can use smaller fans, say 60mm.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I don't think (as of now) that there will be any case fans. Just the CPU fan, so that SHOULD free some space. That will also free up room for power, usb, and audio cables.

Last edited:

Rebel640

Caliper Novice
Mar 29, 2018
Looks pretty neat. Would love to see how the front IO looks like.

If possible, USB 3 front ports would be nice!

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
hey, quick tip
I'd extend the top cover to align with the exterior of the front part. it would hide a little better these bends and can help the front look a bit cleaner overall. it will just take a extra few mm

Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Looks pretty neat. Would love to see how the front IO looks like.

If possible, USB 3 front ports would be nice!

I have been struggling to find a usb 3 + audio front panel connectors, do you have a suggestion?

hey, quick tip
I'd extend the top cover to align with the exterior of the front part. it would hide a little better these bends and can help the front look a bit cleaner overall. it will just take a extra few mm

Alright- noted. I'll take care of that in 1.2, next revision.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
So, we have two options: keep it the way it is, and use the 3M tap to adhere it. OR, lengthen it so it can mount on the bottom and make it less tall. this revision is focusing ENTIRELY on space usage.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
So, we have two options: keep it the way it is, and use the 3M tap to adhere it. OR, lengthen it so it can mount on the bottom and make it less tall. this revision is focusing ENTIRELY on space usage.

Perhaps you can update the dimensions as well so people can have idea/comparison on the height/width/depth while you're making changes on components orientations?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Alright, 1.2 is DONE. We should have enough data (now) to build a manufacturable model. Feedback is appreciated. A size comparison render between 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 is coming in a bit.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
These images are oldest design-newest, left to right. While there are issues in 1.2 (e.g. off center power button, lack of IO, and more) i succeeded in what I wanted for 1.2- as small of size as possible. It is most definitely now under 3.5L, though I haven't checked. Also, I will be posting an album with pictures of the case that inspired this, which I will mod and give to my brother for his birthday (or so I planned). For 1.3 I will include front IO, power in, and add 2.5" ssd mounts, using @ignsvn 's diagrams. Anyways, the renders and the pics of the case that inspired this:

Last edited:

Rebel640

Caliper Novice
Mar 29, 2018
Screws on the front will take away the clean feel.

Can you use one of flush-with-surface nuts embedded into the front panel? Where the power supply screw can go into?

The flush nuts can be covered when the surface is painted.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
There's another way to hide front screws- have blind holes drilled into them, so the threads don't go through the other side. This works if you use a thicker front bezel, like at least 5mm.

BTW is that front acrylic on the case custom? It makes the case look more slick.

Reactions: Rebel640

Flumper Dinkle

Trash Compacter
Feb 26, 2018
Cool idea, neat looking case.
Is this intended to work with an HDPLEX 160W out the box? You'll need a pretty big cut out for its included c14 connector. Does that fit in ok? I can't see a cutout for a power inlet on your most recent images