Production ZS Cases - ZS ST V1 - Update 4/18

ZS-Cases

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 21, 2020
zscases.com
ZS Cases is proud to introduce our latest concept case - ZS Vertical (name to be determined) ZS ST V1. Please watch this space for all future updates on this case (PCIE 4.0, accessories, pricing etc.) If you have any questions/suggestions, feel free to leave a comment or contact us via website.

Sorry for the long wait! We are finally moving to the production stage of ZS ST V1. We have our first production sample below, let us know what you think!

There will be no PCIE 4.0 PCB + short riser combination. We will provide PCIE 4.0 riser solution in the traditional way.

We have decided to name the new case ZS ST V1 (small tower) for now.

We have seen the feedback on making the case a bit larger to fit 25mm fan for the AIO. The designer has agreed to look into this possibility and fingers cross my next update will bring some good news. We have some new pictures to share with you guys. Keep the feedback coming!

We have redesigned the case, aim to reduce case volume below 10L.
  • 9.8L 226(L) x 134(W) x 325(H)
  • GPU support up to: 321 x 155 x 60
  • CPU AIO header: 48mm
  • AIO Radiator: 240mm
  • Storage: 2 x 2.5" HDD
Regarding AIO setup, 2 options: 30mm Rad + 12mm Fans; 27mm Rad + 15mm fans;

Features/Specs:
  • 12.3L - 240mm x 152mm x 338mm
  • GPU support up to: 331mm x 145mm x 63mm
  • AIO support up to: 280mm
  • 1 x top fan
  • Unique PCB riser solution support PCIE 4.0 (TBC)
  • Full aluminium body
  • Motherboard IO facing towards the back
  • GPU IO facing towards the back via adapter cable
  • Pricing TBA

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Is that what seems to be a riser for the monitor outputs? How would that work with different configurations?
I bet that 'riser' is not a fixed configuration. If so, it just cannot match many different output configurations.
My guess is that 'riser' is actually a series of right-angled adapters (one DP and one HDMI are shown in this concept stage) that can be moved around and arranged to fit different display cards' output config.

Most interesting is the display card riser cable solution. It is, indeed, unique. Must keep an eye on this approach.

ATM, I like to know:-
a. are the two front 140mm fans the only fan positions of the case?
b. max clearance for a CPU air-cooler

Reactions: rfarmer

Bramble

Efficiency Noob
Jan 5, 2021
I bet that 'riser' is not a fixed configuration. If so, it just cannot match many different output configurations.
My guess is that 'riser' is actually a series of right-angled adapters (one DP and one HDMI are shown in this concept stage) that can be moved around and arranged to fit different display cards' output config.

Most interesting is the display card riser cable solution. It is, indeed, unique. Must keep an eye on this approach.

Yeah it will be interesting to see what the solution will look like.

You can see in the last 2 images that there is a third fan mount (seems to be 140mm?) on top of the mobo

Reactions: tinyitx and Sashby
D

Deleted member 23607

Looking at the images, a 120/140 fan above the motherboard is possible.

Reactions: tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
My bad. It was so late at night when I read this thread. Indeed, there is a 140 fan at the top.
Judging from the last 2 images, this looks like the 3 fans (2 rad fans and 1 case fan) are exhausting.
I suppose the hardware shown in these 2 images are probably the default system configuration that this case is designed for.

I notice:-
a. in addition to the two right-angled DP/HDMI adapters at the bottom, the first 2 images show there are also 4 DP/HDMI adapters at the back of the case.

b. the GPU riser solution uses not a cable but a custom card. This card will lead its slot right up next to and parallel to the mobo's PCIeX16 slot. I cannot imagine the 2 slots will need another cable to connect them. Maybe somehow the riser card will make its own 180-degree turn and plug itself right into the mobo. This should be the most elegant solution. If so, I hope, this will increase the reliability/stability over a cable. But the strength is also the weakness because if this custom card fails, it is not replaceable except thru official ZS channel.

Last edited:

ZS-Cases

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 21, 2020
zscases.com
My bad. It was so late at night when I read this thread. Indeed, there is a 140 fan at the top.
Judging from the last 2 images, this looks like the 3 fans (2 rad fans and 1 case fan) are exhausting.
I suppose the hardware shown in these 2 images are probably the default system configuration that this case is designed for.

I notice:-
a. in addition to the two right-angled DP/HDMI adapters at the bottom, the first 2 images show there are also 4 DP/HDMI adapters at the back of the case.

b. the GPU riser solution uses not a cable but a custom card. This card will lead its slot right up next to and parallel to the mobo's PCIeX16 slot. I cannot imagine the 2 slots will need another cable to connect them. Maybe somehow the riser card will make its own 180-degree turn and plug itself right into the mobo. This should be the most elegant solution. If so, I hope, this will increase the reliability/stability over a cable. But the strength is also the weakness because if this custom card fails, it is not replaceable except thru official ZS channel.
Hi.

a. Yes you're correct. we'll use adapter to achieve back facing GPU IO.

b. the solution right now is PCB plus a very short riser cable. Reason why we doing it this way is because PCIE 4.0 is sensitive to bending in extreme angle. Therefore we want to use this combination.

Bask06

Cable Smoosher
Oct 16, 2018
Will you be able to put the front I/O to the bottom of the case?
I still think this not practical to reach USB or sound port at the top of a case.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
ZS Cases is proud to introduce our latest concept case - ZS Vertical (name to be determined). Please watch this space for all future updates on this case (PCIE 4.0, accessories, pricing etc.) If you have any questions/suggestions, feel free to leave a comment or contact us via website.

Features/Specs:
  • 12.3L - 240mm x 152mm x 338mm
Is it possible to make the dimensions something like 238mm * 150mm * 335mm while maintaining the same specs to make it sub 12L?

Reactions: 5lsff

ZS-Cases

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 21, 2020
zscases.com
Will you be able to put the front I/O to the bottom of the case?
I still think this not practical to reach USB or sound port at the top of a case.
We will look into this, At this moment the best space optimization result is to leave Front IO at top.

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Very excited to see what comes from this. If what you are describing in the "Jan 26 Update" will come to life, this will be an insta-buy from me. I have been scratching my head over a vertical case with PCI 4.0 support for quite a while and yours seem to tick most of the boxes I have in mind! Great job!

Reactions: robbee

ZS-Cases

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 21, 2020
zscases.com
Very excited to see what comes from this. If what you are describing in the "Jan 26 Update" will come to life, this will be an insta-buy from me. I have been scratching my head over a vertical case with PCI 4.0 support for quite a while and yours seem to tick most of the boxes I have in mind! Great job!
Thanks for your interest! As Lunar New Year is coming up in China, we hope to have the first prototype ready by end Feb, early March.

D

Deleted member 23607

Hopefully! I would love to see this become a readily available case.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Regarding AIO setup, 2 options: 30mm Rad + 12mm Fans; 27mm Rad + 15mm fans;
I strongly urge you to increase the clearance by 3mm for a total of 45mm. Case in point, the FormD T1 v1.0-1.1 has 42mm clearance like your design right now but since the designer has decided to expand the case in v1.2 to accommodate 45mm.

45mm gives much better compatibility since standard 30mm rad and 15mm fan can be used, or the more niche 20mm TX240 with any full size fans. From my own experience, the 12mm Scythe fans are just really poor in comparison to the A12x15

ZS-Cases

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 21, 2020
zscases.com
I strongly urge you to increase the clearance by 3mm for a total of 45mm. Case in point, the FormD T1 v1.0-1.1 has 42mm clearance like your design right now but since the designer has decided to expand the case in v1.2 to accommodate 45mm.

45mm gives much better compatibility since standard 30mm rad and 15mm fan can be used, or the more niche 20mm TX240 with any full size fans. From my own experience, the 12mm Scythe fans are just really poor in comparison to the A12x15
Thanks for your feedback! I will pass it on to our lab for consideration.

Bramble

Efficiency Noob
Jan 5, 2021
I agree with the above. I think expanding the rad space to fit 27/28 + 25mm fans, and rad height to 53 would not compromise on the size too much, while greatly expanding the cooling potential. That would make it fit a EK240 (28mm rad + 53mm block), which is one of the highest performing AIOs out there.

Or even keeping the 280 compatibility (plus extra fan). Getting the volume to be < 10L is an achievement but introduces many trade-offs. The original design was a nice, more compact improvement to existing vertical cases but the new variant feels like its a vertical T1 equivalent.