Prototype BASALT - a 9L vertical case that supports long 3 slot graphics card

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
This would be dope in a ATX Psu model, I wouldn't mind the extra size, I know it goes against the small form, but it's much easier to find an atx psu than an SFX, plus the extra width would allow for taller coolers like nh-l12s , just my thoughts

Yeah, I've considered a wider version with NH-L12S and 140mm top fan support at several points. ATX support would come natively in that form factor but it would be limited to 14cm depth units and almost certainly require custom cables made to length as there would be zero space left to put excess cables.

But in the end, I liked the proportions less as it became a bit too 'fat' to my liking.

Now for a little progress update. Top, bottom and front panel have been cut, The back panel will be ready in about 10 minutes. Still have some work with the magnets but the end is near now. Stay tuned for more pictures once the panels are ready!

Reactions: maibol

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
hey robbe did you finish the panels?

Hey, yes I did! I'm preparing an update tonight or tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I've thought of a name for this case: BASALT, a dark volcanic rock that sometimes appears in hexagonal columns. The black colour and hexagonal vent pattern seemed like a good fit (yes, I went with the initial hexagon pattern after all :D)

1614695632241.png

maibol

Cable Smoosher
Dec 6, 2020

Meanwhile, I've thought of a name for this case: BASALT, a dark volcanic rock that sometimes appears in hexagonal columns. The black colour and hexagonal vent pattern seemed like a good fit (yes, I went with the initial hexagon pattern after all :D)

View attachment 979

View attachment 979
no rush buddy i stayed tune destroying the f5.....nice to know you get it done ..... also like the name for it 👍

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
So here are the pictures of the finished case! Spoiler: I'll still tweak some stuff here and there but that mainly has to do with tolerances and mounting mechanisms so the look of the case shouldn't change anymore.

Went with the clean front without power button and I think I like the clean look more. @griever was definitely right in that regard.

The sides were cut using the hexagon pattern. I couldn't decide on any of the patterns I drew so I went with the initial plan. I can always cut other panel later on if I don't like these ones anymore.

Closeup from the sidepanel. So far, temperatures have been no issue at all so I haven't fully followed @griever 's advice about blocking the top part of the fans. I think the symmetric pattern looks better but I will definitely investigate further into airflow in the top part.

The back panel was cut a bit messy on the front because I had a faulty stepper on my cutter at that point. It's out of sight though so I'll be leaving it like this for now.

Closeup of the other side.

The top isn't completely finished yet. As you can see, my initial vandal switch doesn't fit the mounting hole anymore because I have a new plan for the power button. I need some stuff that's being shipped from China though and that may take some time to to Chinese new year.

I'm also cleaning up my project files and starting to create a repository on Github to open source the case. I'm documenting the case at the same time so it may take me some time to finish that. All will be finished in due time :)

griever

Average Stuffer
Apr 30, 2019
I'm very serious when I say this:

I really do think you have a winning design here.

You're design offers what many cases do not:
1. Small footprint
2. 3 slot GPU support
Some have it, but yours is one of the few.
3. Clean as can be aesthetic
So many cases have sharp industrial lines, but the curved corners really bring it together and make it organic. The lack of visible screws!
4. Flexible design
Should you wish to upscale the case for hardware compatibility, e.g. ATX psu, taller CPU cooler, bigger exhaust fan (140mm), I'm sure even radiator support could be worked out using the corner posts for a radiator mount.

One question: how is the wobble stability? Do you find it tips easily?

I love it! Wish I could have it on my desk right now. 😁

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
So here are the pictures of the finished case! Spoiler: I'll still tweak some stuff here and there but that mainly has to do with tolerances and mounting mechanisms so the look of the case shouldn't change anymore.

Went with the clean front without power button and I think I like the clean look more. @griever was definitely right in that regard.

The sides were cut using the hexagon pattern. I couldn't decide on any of the patterns I drew so I went with the initial plan. I can always cut other panel later on if I don't like these ones anymore.

Closeup from the sidepanel. So far, temperatures have been no issue at all so I haven't fully followed @griever 's advice about blocking the top part of the fans. I think the symmetric pattern looks better but I will definitely investigate further into airflow in the top part.

The back panel was cut a bit messy on the front because I had a faulty stepper on my cutter at that point. It's out of sight though so I'll be leaving it like this for now.

The top isn't completely finished yet. As you can see, my initial vandal switch doesn't fit the mounting hole anymore because I have a new plan for the power button. I need some stuff that's being shipped from China though and that may take some time to to Chinese new year.

I'm also cleaning up my project files and starting to create a repository on Github to open source the case. I'm documenting the case at the same time so it may take me some time to finish that. All will be finished in due time :)

Looking really great, curious about your power button idea... :)

I noticed you got the Blackridge? how does it perform compared to the IS-60 EVO (IS47K) I tested for the MID2?

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I noticed you got the Blackridge? how does it perform compared to the IS-60 EVO (IS47K) I tested for the MID2?

Hard to make a 1 on 1 comparison due to different setups and fan curves. My R5 3600 get up to about 75C while gaming or benchmarking on stock with a 120mm fan that is tuned to be pretty much inaudible under load. Idle temperatures hover between 40C and 45C. I could probably get the temperatures down more but I prefer silence as I'm comfortable with the current temperature.

From what I heard though, the BR is only really better than others with the 120mm fan and that requires a very specific setup, so it's not the most convenient cooler.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

maibol

Cable Smoosher
Dec 6, 2020

Wow it came nice and clean love it !!!!!!!

Reactions: robbee

maibol

Cable Smoosher
Dec 6, 2020
I'm very serious when I say this:

I really do think you have a winning design here.

You're design offers what many cases do not:
1. Small footprint
2. 3 slot GPU support
Some have it, but yours is one of the few.
3. Clean as can be aesthetic
So many cases have sharp industrial lines, but the curved corners really bring it together and make it organic. The lack of visible screws!
4. Flexible design
Should you wish to upscale the case for hardware compatibility, e.g. ATX psu, taller CPU cooler, bigger exhaust fan (140mm), I'm sure even radiator support could be worked out using the corner posts for a radiator mount.

I love it! Wish I could have it on my desk right now. 😁
completely agree ..... maybe @robbee you could consider this part the #4 a taller cpu cooler could be of benefit for higher wattage cpu's..... the exhaust fan a 140 i think more testing have to be made but could be absolutely helpful .... the atx psu in my humble opinion could be messy with the space should stay sfx other than that it looks clean man .......btw @robbee how was the cable management.

griever

Average Stuffer
Apr 30, 2019
completely agree ..... maybe @robbee you could consider this part the #4 a taller cpu cooler could be of benefit for higher wattage cpu's..... the exhaust fan a 140 i think more testing have to be made but could be absolutely helpful .... the atx psu in my humble opinion could be messy with the space should stay sfx other than that it looks clean man .......btw @robbee how was the cable management.

Robbee has stated intent to open source the files later. perhaps you Maibol could modify them to be wider? Are you proficient at this? I'm terrible at Solidworks/whatever modeler but its not too much work to modify files for 3d printing. even I can get it right after a few hours. 😅

From the look of it there's ~4 parts that would need this treatment.

maibol

Cable Smoosher
Dec 6, 2020
Robbee has stated intent to open source the files later. perhaps you Maibol could modify them to be wider? Are you proficient at this? I'm terrible at Solidworks/whatever modeler but its not too much work to modify files for 3d printing. even I can get it right after a few hours. 😅

From the look of it there's ~4 parts that would need this treatment
you feel like you are terrible at solidworks let me tell you that im null XD not a lil bit of skill there ...

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Documentation is almost finished so I'll post the link to the files one of the coming days.

I'm also considering selling kits that only require assembly but this is a bit of an adventure to me. To test the process of packaging & logistics and to know what others think of this case, I'm looking for a beta tester. The tester would receive the case at a low price if he/she agrees to share experience with shipping and assembling the case.

For logistics reasons, this tester would need to be based in the EU. Anyone feel like it?

Oops, I seem to have missed this question. Due to the heavy GPU and the weight of the PSU at the bottom, it's actually very stable. Definitely doesn't tip after a firm push, just moves around a bit.

griever

Average Stuffer
Apr 30, 2019
Documentation is almost finished so I'll post the link to the files one of the coming days.

I'm also considering selling kits that only require assembly but this is a bit of an adventure to me. To test the process of packaging & logistics and to know what others think of this case, I'm looking for a beta tester. The tester would receive the case at a low price if he/she agrees to share experience with shipping and assembling the case.

For logistics reasons, this tester would need to be based in the EU. Anyone feel like it?

Oops, I seem to have missed this question. Due to the heavy GPU and the weight of the PSU at the bottom, it's actually very stable. Definitely doesn't tip after a firm push, just moves around a bit.
I would gleefully volunteer, sadly I am in the US for the foreseeable future.

Elaman

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Damn, digging those hexagons.
Are you planning to do some further benchmarking? If this has good temps as it seems it has, it would be a very well rounded design.

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
It looks like I have another small but very important update. This update is what marks my personal version of this case FINISHED!

First part has to do with the square cutout that I teased earlier. It is indeed for the power button and the keycap guess wasn't far off. For the power button, I made this:

This is a blue cherry switch with a Lego brick attached. I soldered the two pins to a double dupont connector so I could use it as a power button for my motherboard. Nothing fancy but it works and is super satisfying to press. The switch friction fits into the printed part under the top panel.

This is how it looks when installed. Neat, isn't it?! You can also see the second part of my update in this picture.

I added dust filters to the panels. This serves a double purpose, stopping dust but also stopping fingers going through the holes. With a little one walking around here, this is much needed. The dust filter is made of a PVC sheet with .8mm holes. Temperatures haven't changed noticeably, perhaps a few degrees but too little to really notice during gaming.

A final shot that shows the full case with power button and dust filters.

Now, about the future of this case. The version I made now is my personal computer but it's not really suited for production as too many things depend on my specific hardware or setup. I was already changing this a bit in order to open source the case, but I'm also gonna try to get a small production run going for people interested in this case. This makes it even more important that the case is compatible with general hardware and setups so that still needs a bit of work.

However, I need to find out if enough people are willing to purchase this case. For this, I'm trying to gauge interest with the following form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe9wZh6kUfH_aBlzwMiRTTJ9kL3DfJ7goFQCD3wm0SAgKK2qQ/viewform

Could you help me out here and fill out the form? Thanks!!

griever

Average Stuffer
Apr 30, 2019
Form complete.

that lego button, lol so awesome.

Great idea with those dust filters. Gives it a nice aesthetic too.