Prototype Worst idea ever? A slightly different SFF case: the G-Design GD47

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
Really like the design! Now I wonder... How hard would it be to make little dome caps for the nose of the fans to make them look like actual speakers when they are spinning..

Reactions: GDesign and rfarmer

GDesign

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
Gorgeous case. Simple design, which improves it’s chances of success. What size are the fans?

I like the “ speaker “ esthetic. Since this would be primarily an an air cooled sub 65 watt CPU build, you could probably bump it up a notch by placing a 140 mm or even 200mm on the side facing CPU, GPU. Speaker type grills to tie it all together. Or magnetic. Or open. 5 massive fans would move a lot of air. That’s good.

I like it.

I also appreciate that you have an up and running test mule. Nice. Now carve it up to see what increased air intake you can get.

Hi Hoka Hey,
Thanks for your comments. The fans are 80 mm.

One of my main objectives behind designing the case as it currently stands is to avoid the need for side fans and ventilation. This has resulted in the need for the 2 front fans only when paired with the slightly non-standard approach to cooling the GPU and CPU to ensure the air flow is from front to rear only (details to follow as mentioned in replies to other comments). There's no reason why a case following a similar aesthetic to the GD47 couldn't be developed to have additional side fans as you describe, but this would increase the size substantially, resulting in the case moving to a larger size category where there are probably already a range of similar options available in terms of fan configurations and aesthetics.

There has been a bit of of enthusiasm towards differing sizes of the case, so I am considering the viability of both 'one-off' builds and alternate popular sizes as products for sale - the 'one-off' builds would clearly require a higher cost due to the time required to modify the design so the validity of the idea would be based on what customers would be willing to pay, but it could include an option for e.g. side fans.

Last edited:

GDesign

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
Really like the design! Now I wonder... How hard would it be to make little dome caps for the nose of the fans to make them look like actual speakers when they are spinning..

Would either need to be supplied with a pretty strong adhesive or safety goggles!

newtothegame

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2018
Good job with the design, it feels functional and also very original. In an ideal world I'd suggest giving the vertical edges a slight curve to give the enclosure a less boxy look but I guess that process would increase the price tremendously.

I'm not into Flex ATX or HDPLEX PSU builds but I hope you gather enough enthusiasm and manage to produce it. All the best mate.

Reactions: GDesign

GDesign

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
Good job with the design, it feels functional and also very original. In an ideal world I'd suggest giving the vertical edges a slight curve to give the enclosure a less boxy look but I guess that process would increase the price tremendously.

I'm not into Flex ATX or HDPLEX PSU builds but I hope you gather enough enthusiasm and manage to produce it. All the best mate.

Hi Newtothegame,
Thanks very much for your interest and well wishes for the project. I'm hoping that the boxy look will appeal to all the Volvo drivers out there :)! But you're quite right - the 'straight' edge design was initially the result of my own limitations in constructing earlier versions of the case for my own personal use using low cost materials and simple construction techniques which does keep the cost down, but also the style has actually grown on me. With minimising volume also being a high priority, I think adding curves also reduces the efficiency in terms of use of space, not by much, but every millimetre seems to count when you stray into the realms of sub-5 litre case design.