Prototype New MC850 SFF case/system from Logic Supply - feedback welcome

DarekLogic

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Logic Supply
Jan 13, 2016
www.logicsupply.com
Hi all, I wanted to share an early look at one of Logic Supply's latest developments and perhaps get your feedback.

Quick background for those who aren't familiar with us, Logic Supply (www.logicsupply.com) is an industrial PC manufacturer specializing in small form factor system development for commercial clients who need computer hardware that will reliably perform in a wide range of challenging environments. Our clients' key concerns tend to be long lifecycle components, legacy I/O connectivity and a wide range of performance specifications (from low wattage Atom and Celeron CPUs all the way up to i7 and Xeon chips). We focus primarily on fanless system development to allow for fully solid state operation and to prevent contaminant ingress in dirty or dusty installations.

Recently, we've had a number of clients inquire about the possibility of enabling enhanced graphics and processing capabilities in a small form factor FANNED system. This has led us to engineer a new chassis that we're currently referring to as the MC850. Some of you may be familiar with our MC600 chassis, which has found an audience among enthusiast builders, including a number of SFF.net forum members - you guys keep cutting big holes for fans in them, you maniacs :)

The MC850 builds on our MC600 and MC500 but more easily accommodates full height PCIe cards as well as ditching risers in favor of a far more reliable and simple direct plug configuration. You’ll find an onboard power supply providing AC input as well - a feature that's also been requested by a number of our clients who are comfortable using an actively-cooled solution. And don’t think cooling has been ignored - the exhaust has been swapped over to a larger and quieter single 80mm fan.

Key Enclosure Specs
Case Materials: Corrosion-resistant galvanized steel, anodized 6061 aluminum
Motherboard Form Factor: Mini-ITX
Dimensions (W x H x D): 230mm x 146mm x 241mm
Volume: ~8.1L
Hard Drive Support: 2x 2.5” drives + onboard M.2 or mSATA
Mounting Options: Included feet, wall mounting available

We're currently in the process of doing final testing on system performance since we'll be offering fully built system configurations to our end clients, but I wanted to post here to get some initial impressions from the SFF community before we move to mass production. Interested to hear what you all think.

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
That is very cool, one thing that always puts me off when it comes to shoebox sized cases is the fact they almost always take ATX power supplies, which causes it to become way bigger than it could be. This is very compact for a case that can take a double-slot GPU!

Reactions: DarekLogic

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
First suggestion would be to move the drive cage over to allow unimpeded installation of a slightly longer GPU, specifically the Zotac 1080/1080ti mini at 211mm.

Additionally the ability to put an HDPlex 300W AC-DC and compatible DC-ATX unit for full modularity would be nice. While the Seasonic 300W you've got is a great little unit, it's going to be noisy under load and the harness solution they've provided is pretty bulky in such a small enclosure.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Is there some advantage to ducting the rear exhaust fan like that?

But even if you keep it, I think it'd make sense to add fan mount holes to the frame rear so a fan can be mounted without the duct if clearance for a bigger CPU heatsink is needed.

VitoHGrind

Chassis Packer
May 8, 2017
Nicely done. Putting the lip of the gpu mounting bracket outside of the envelope of the main case certainly allows for minimizing volume, but does create a bit of an eyesore. I'm definitely curious if you need to duct the exhaust fan like that though? It seems to protrude much further into the case than necessary and would likely interfere with most aftermarket cpu coolers. Lastly, is it possible to mount a fan in the space next to the psu? There are holes cut for airflow and at a glance I assume a 60-70mm fan would fit, but I can't quite tell if there are mounts if someone chose to go that route.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
First suggestion would be to move the drive cage over to allow unimpeded installation of a slightly longer GPU, specifically the Zotac 1080/1080ti mini at 211mm.
I'd like to add to that idea: it seems the drive cage screws into another bracket with a screw in the middle. If you added more screw holes, it would allow the drive cage to be installed to the left or right of the case, if it's preferred to have more room for the GPU or the PSU. It might be an easy fix to allow a lot more component compatibility.

In my opinion, the vent hole areas are way too small, reducing the amount of airflow considerably. In the end, it might be more prudent to have a much better ventilation as-standard and add dust/debris filters as an option. Opportunity for higher markup and again more flexibility.

The surface the PSU mounts to in the back doesn't need any additional grills, they usually have their own finger/debris guards on the PSU. Just have one large cutout like ATX and SFX PSUs. This would reduce cost and again increase product flexibility.

It's a nice looking case, especially considering Logic supply is mainly catering to industrial applications.

DarekLogic

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Logic Supply
Jan 13, 2016
www.logicsupply.com
Thanks for all the comments and feedback so far everyone! I'll be sharing these with our engineering team and they should be able to offer responses in the coming days. Keep the thoughts coming!

EDIT: See responses to some of your questions from Logic Supply Engineer Hans below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

breakfast

Chassis Packer
Logic Supply
Mar 7, 2017
Going to do my best to bulk answer, feel free to call me out if I miss something:

1.) The drive mounting is a touch different in the mass production revision, which should help alleviate GPU depth concerns
2.) An HDPlex you say? Hold on to that idea for a little while..
3.) The back fan duct is also changed and will be smaller, though it didn't conflict with even the large coolers we tested. It's there to reduce turbulence, which makes things a bit quieter.
4.) Vent hole patterns are all slightly more open, they look better too (IMO)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I know you guys usually offer full systems so you can control what parts are used, but I'd also like to see a full cutout for the FlexATX mounting.

There were a few FlexATX I saw at Computex that had a small power switch added and they would be interfere with the grill.

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
Looks pretty interesting. I too would be interested in a less wide option that could accommodate a DC-ATX plug unit like the G-uniques and Pico plugs.

duke00

Average Stuffer
May 27, 2016
I dont like that this case has no Gase fan in and only little fan out. In the case is so mich space that its looks easy to add a 120mm fan.
Why you dont try to use an standard Sfx PSU in betwen front and mainboard ?

jottwehh

Bonobo
Mar 19, 2016
Some of you may be familiar with our MC600 chassis, which has found an audience among enthusiast builders, including a number of SFF.net forum members - you guys keep cutting big holes for fans in them, you maniacs :)

I'm glad that logic supply is interested in our opinion and I feel honoured to have been called indirect. But as "maniac" let me say: Not only holes can be drilled in your product: Also RGB lighting may not be missing;)

Just kidding. actually, this was only a try to integrate an internal PSU.

To answer your real question:
I think the case has well succeeded.
the only thing i wonder about is, if there are Flex ATX PSU's that are powerfull enough for "enhanced graphics and processing capabilities" with "up to i7 and Xeon chips". If so, I haven't said anything, but if not, i feel like you are selling a VW Polo with a trailer hitch (there is simply not enough horsepower....;) )
Maybe for that Configuration a SFX(-L) PSU would be better..
And If you don't need more than 350W in general, I would definitely go for the HD-PLex instead. If I get you right, you are a big firend of fanless/dust proof and maybe quiet systems. I think HD-Plex is way better for this application. But maybe I'm just a HD-Plex fanboy and dont know your business.
keep up the good work & thanks again for asking us "enthusiast builders" & "maniacs" :cool:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I hear ya, but orange is kind of our thing :)

#OrangeMasterRace

I love that you're making this case, The FlexATX PSU allows for good cooling options for the CPU and it should be awesome to mod. It'll be awesome to see what people do with this. I also love that you only support reference height cards, no added volume for bloated coolers.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
the only thing i wonder about is, if there are Flex ATX PSU's that are powerfull enough for "enhanced graphics and processing capabilities" with "up to i7 and Xeon chips".

https://smallformfactor.net/news/flexatx-computex-2017-roundup

Seasonic has a 650W that is only 150mm long. And it'd be a tight but you could maybe even fit the 850W 220mm FSP.

Availability and noise of those units is certainly a concern, but wattage isn't a problem for FlexATX at this point.