Prototype Worst idea ever? A slightly different SFF case: the G-Design GD47

GDesign

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
This is a very clean-looking case.

More pictures/build process?

Hi Windfall,
Thanks for your interest and comment. I'm planning on providing more details when I'm close to my first production run, but I'll refer you to my response to ignsvn for the reasoning behind this:

As far as internal pics, I'm holding back before releasing further details of the internal layout until I'm closer to a production run. I've adopted a slightly novel approach to cooling, and (from what I understand) whilst the design of the GD47 could be patented, the approach itself can not so I'd like to get a couple of production runs out before somebody gets 'inspiration' from the approach and does a much better job of it! Apologies for this - I hope this is understandable, but I'll provide details on this closer to the final design and manufacture of the case

She loved E

Add smallness
Compact Splash
Jun 24, 2015
Love your concept. Another idea for fan grilles without too much visual change would be clear acrylic pieces. You could have some fun with the shapes to maximize airflow and/or create an interesting pattern.

Reactions: GDesign

GDesign

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
Love your concept. Another idea for fan grilles without too much visual change would be clear acrylic pieces. You could have some fun with the shapes to maximize airflow and/or create an interesting pattern.

Hi, Thanks for your comment. There seem to be a few comments relating to the fan grills, and seeing as the case lends itself quite well to customisation, this is a really great idea!

Reactions: CountNoctua

Sumdumdad

What's an ITX?
Sep 15, 2019
Really digging this design! I'd be a buyer at <$150. I would pay more for a GD100.

This is the first case I have found that fits my criteria. I think I would prefer one around 10L, but if the price is right I will buy one and make ANOTHER build.......

Don't tell my wife!

As for changes, I think it's perfect. Love the plain design with exposed fans. Just want a bigger one for a more powerful mITX build.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Looks interesting, I've got a few questions:

1. Would you recommend using the case as a portable?
2. Have you tried using the Dynatron coolers like the A18 or G199?
3. As it is a sandwich case would you recommend having an NVME M.2 on the back of the motherboard? NVME drives on the back of a motherboard in a sandwich case tend to get toasty. (Pun)
4. Would the X570 motherboards fit the case?

GDesign

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
Really digging this design! I'd be a buyer at <$150. I would pay more for a GD100.

This is the first case I have found that fits my criteria. I think I would prefer one around 10L, but if the price is right I will buy one and make ANOTHER build.......

Don't tell my wife!

As for changes, I think it's perfect. Love the plain design with exposed fans. Just want a bigger one for a more powerful mITX build.
Hi Sumdumdad, Thanks for your interest. I'd certainly be happy to produce a different size variant if there was enough demand or alternatively (although I'm not exactly sure what it would entail or know the implications to final costings) could have an option for a custom size based on the same basic design. It would be interesting to know what the main limitations are with the current specifications (e.g. short graphics cards, low PSU wattage options, limited storage) that people would like addressing in another size option. Will have to see how the GD47 goes in the first instance.

I wouldn't worry about your wife finding out - she's just asked if she can order three !

GDesign

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
Looks interesting, I've got a few questions:

1. Would you recommend using the case as a portable?
2. Have you tried using the Dynatron coolers like the A18 or G199?
3. As it is a sandwich case would you recommend having an NVME M.2 on the back of the motherboard? NVME drives on the back of a motherboard in a sandwich case tend to get toasty. (Pun)
4. Would the X570 motherboards fit the case?
Hi Analogue Blacksheep. Thanks for your questions. In response:
1. Yes. I had initially started the project with the aim to have a system I could easily fit into a small rucksack. I have also recently had a discussion with a friend who is an upholsterer about making a custom sized neoprene carry case which I would be very keen to put into production, however, we did not discuss costs.
2. The current cooler is actually a Dynatron K199 which does a good job of keeping my i7 6700 at reasonable temperatures (73 degrees C). It seems to work really well with the design having a single direction (front to back) of air movement through the case. As suggested in other posts however, they do tend to be louder than conventional fan coolers, but whether that is an issue will be a matter of personal preference and system setup (distance sat from the system and whether using headphones or speakers).
3. Puns always appreciated - they never get stale. I'm really not sure how the temperatures of an underside mounted M.2 drive would behave (mine is located on the upper side). The front fans may move enough air over it to maintain reasonable temperatures, but I would need to test this. Thinking a bit less conventionally, with an underside mounted M.2 drive being very close to the side panel of the case (2 mm aluminium), one might be able to use a thermally conductive pad to conduct and dissipate heat through the case itself. Again, I'm delving completely into the unknown as to whether this would be viable or not!
4. It looks as though the X570 ITX models should fit in the case. I'm running my system without the motherboard backplate to keep airflow unrestricted and it looks like most of the X570 ITX models have a large 'block' with the rear I/Os which might impede air flow to a degree - I wouldn't know whether this would cause any issues with temperatures without testing.

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018
Wow, that looks so clean. Love the design, would be keen on seeing what the the front-to-back directed airflow design would look like built around different fan configurations (2 x 120mm, 1x 140mm, etc.).

GDesign

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
Wow, that looks so clean. Love the design, would be keen on seeing what the the front-to-back directed airflow design would look like built around different fan configurations (2 x 120mm, 1x 140mm, etc.).

Hi JDragon, Thanks for your comment. Slightly surprisingly, there have been a couple of people interested in a larger variants of the case (I was anticipating the case having a place in the <5 litre niche) - a variant with 2 x 120 mm fans would probably be close to the top of the list and follow pretty much the same proportions as the GD47. A design with a single 140 mm is interesting however - dimensions would probably be along the lines of 160 x 180 x 250 (7.2 litres). Might look a bit like a subwoofer!

GDesign

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
Any updates on this? It looked cool!
Hi Windfall,
It's ticking over, but nothing major at the moment I'm afraid! I've made some minor design tweaks and now have the prototype in CAD ready for CNC production (the prototype photographed was for the most part hand-built). I'm hoping to have the first CNC'd prototype ready over the next couple of weeks (I need to discuss time-frames with them tomorrow) - I expect there may be the odd minor adjustment needed after that, with a revised (possibly final?!) design ready for production mid-late November. There are still some unknowns to tackle, so there could be some variation in this, but hopefully I'm not too far off the mark with this.

I've done some further testing of different coolers and temperature testing with dust filters, but I thought it was probably worth hanging back on posting an update with the results as it's more relevant to repeat the tests with the updated design (not expecting any major differences in the results, but would like to keep it as accurate as possible).

There are some slightly less interesting bits going on in the background too, such as liaising with Trading Standards to ensure compliance with the necessary regulations (undertaking Risk Assessments, etc.), but I'll spare everyone the details on this!

Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Hi Windfall,
It's ticking over, but nothing major at the moment I'm afraid! I've made some minor design tweaks and now have the prototype in CAD ready for CNC production (the prototype photographed was for the most part hand-built). I'm hoping to have the first CNC'd prototype ready over the next couple of weeks (I need to discuss time-frames with them tomorrow) - I expect there may be the odd minor adjustment needed after that, with a revised (possibly final?!) design ready for production mid-late November. There are still some unknowns to tackle, so there could be some variation in this, but hopefully I'm not too far off the mark with this.

I've done some further testing of different coolers and temperature testing with dust filters, but I thought it was probably worth hanging back on posting an update with the results as it's more relevant to repeat the tests with the updated design (not expecting any major differences in the results, but would like to keep it as accurate as possible).

There are some slightly less interesting bits going on in the background too, such as liaising with Trading Standards to ensure compliance with the necessary regulations (undertaking Risk Assessments, etc.), but I'll spare everyone the details on this!

This is SFF Forum. We like the little details, so spare none, as it may be useful to others in the future! :)

Hoka Hey

Efficiency Noob
Oct 4, 2019
Gorgeous case. Simple design, which improves it’s chances of success. What size are the fans?

I like the “ speaker “ esthetic. Since this would be primarily an an air cooled sub 65 watt CPU build, you could probably bump it up a notch by placing a 140 mm or even 200mm on the side facing CPU, GPU. Speaker type grills to tie it all together. Or magnetic. Or open. 5 massive fans would move a lot of air. That’s good.

I like it.

Hoka Hey

Efficiency Noob
Oct 4, 2019
I also appreciate that you have an up and running test mule. Nice. Now carve it up to see what increased air intake you can get.

Sharknose

Average Stuffer
Jan 4, 2019
Looks amazing. Might be impractical, but my favorite part are those exposed fans!
And I would stick my fingers in those fans every time I sat down in front of the case. Just to see what would happen.

Sadly, it's a friends home theatre system who kindly let me use it for the photo shoot. Mine is a) considerably less impressive and b) covered in particularly hefty hand prints (I have a two year old and a five year old boys!)
And they would stick their fingers in the fans every single time.

GDesign

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
This is SFF Forum. We like the little details, so spare none, as it may be useful to others in the future! :)
That's a good point - I might try and create a post detailing some of the steps I've had to go through which as you say, might be helpful for others going down the same route (particularly in the UK).

Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
That's a good point - I might try and create a post detailing some of the steps I've had to go through which as you say, might be helpful for others going down the same route (particularly in the UK).

Many will appreciate it, including me!

GDesign

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
And I would stick my fingers in those fans every time I sat down in front of the case. Just to see what would happen.

And they would stick their fingers in the fans every single time.
There should be space for a grill over the fan if curiosity is likely to get the better of you which shouldn't impede air flow too much.

Reactions: Windfall and deeree