Other What's on Taobao

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
There is this clean looking Ghost S1 clone at JD: https://item.jd.com/100006200493.html
It costs around 140USD. Anybody bought it or has taobao link?

Reactions: Kooki

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
There is this clean looking Ghost S1 clone at JD: https://item.jd.com/100006200493.html
Do not seem to find a Taobao link but jd.com is just like Taobao and perhaps it is better in certain areas. Probably better delivery and higher guarantee of product quality. So, if you are serious enough, I would suggest just buying from jd.com. Or, you can use an agent like Superbuy if you are overseas.

takatsu

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 26, 2020
Has anyone tried to order 2 cases at the same time through Superbuy? Just wondering if I could order 2 cases and sell 1 in order to save on shipping costs and make a profit? I was thinking of getting the SGPC K55. Courier would probably be DHL as there are no other options right now.

As a side note, when do you guys think everything will start to normalize and PC parts stock will go back to normal, prices will go back down, international shipping fees go back down as well?

ryanakata

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 4, 2020
finally have the Formula X1 on hand. it's gonna be a busy weekend for me guys :D

I love that color and almost wish I had tried this instead of the M1. I am pretty sure I'll pick one up if you say it's decent enough for the money and use it on a build for my parents that they're due for at the end of the year.

ChrisMCP

Trash Compacter
Jun 16, 2018

Nice clone but holes look really rough. The quality is very much subpart things like Captain S, which is probably the best I've ever seen.

finally have the Formula X1 on hand. it's gonna be a busy weekend for me guys :D

What are those faint cutouts on the cover it seems (one bigger and the other smaller below)?
Also have you intentionally mixed the colors of the sidepanels and the rest (the front seems gunmetal and the sidepanels are like lighter gunmetal)?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
What are those faint cutouts on the cover it seems (one bigger and the other smaller below)?
Also have you intentionally mixed the colors of the sidepanels and the rest (the front seems gunmetal and the sidepanels are like lighter gunmetal)?
I would guess they are CNC'd sections to allow for more clearance for the riser cable and ... GPU power connectors? Or something? As fortthe color, my guess (see above) is just poor color matching from the anodization shop. It is pretty much to be expected unless all panels for the case are anodized at the same time or the anodization shop has excellent QC. For something small scale like this I would expect poorly matched colors. But maybe I'm just a pessimist?

Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@hereforthefeast thanks! mine is reversed though - front is darker than side panels!

@Valantar you are not wrong 1 bit. the seller took 3 weeks to ship my order, my guess is he used that time to collect as many orders as possible before turning on the CNC machine.

@Yugo555 haven't opened up the case yet, that is saved for this weekend but the connector looks like the same as in the Dan A4 with the obvious difference being low profile. Not sure where to buy it separately but you could probably find it after some effort searching Taobao :)

@ryanakata thanks! I like this colour too, more than the other options (black, silver). so far it's worth the money to me but for your parents' build maybe get a cheaper option? since this is pretty much the most expensive Ghost-like cases on Taobao

@ChrisMCP as Valantar said, 1 of the cutouts are meant for more clearance to Riser cable - it's quite long and there's a lot of slack in there so couple of folds will be there; not quite sure about the other one yet. And no, I did not make any request in terms of differentiating the colours, still it comes out quite nice IMO, I don't mind the 2-tone at all, kinda gives it some character.

Also just a teaser but it looks like I might be able to fit a slim 120mm above the PSU AND a thick 120mm below the PSU at the same time :D

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisMCP

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I see, then it's probably just the seller's preference of anodizing - darker front, lighter sides :)
It might be a consequence of metal quality - if the sides are sheet metal and the front is milled from a block, they might be sourced from different foundries and thus have slightly different alloys. And different aluminium compositions absorb dye differently after anodization; one might require more heat or soak time to reach the same level of dye absorbtion as the other. If they are then all given the same due bath, the less absorbent will look lighter.

AcatFormula

Cable Smoosher
Aug 26, 2019
It might be a consequence of metal quality - if the sides are sheet metal and the front is milled from a block, they might be sourced from different foundries and thus have slightly different alloys. And different aluminium compositions absorb dye differently after anodization; one might require more heat or soak time to reach the same level of dye absorbtion as the other. If they are then all given the same due bath, the less absorbent will look lighter.
Correct. Formula X1 has been made to it's 12th version but color difference remains a problem in case of Grey color. Black and Silver/White color will have less problem on this.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Correct. Formula X1 has been made to it's 12th version but color difference remains a problem in case of Grey color. Black and Silver/White color will have less problem on this.
That's understandable; both of those colors are likely more opaque (i.e. more heavily loaded with pigment), while the gunmetal either has less pigment in the dye or depends on a shorter soak time to allow for some of the base metal color to impart that signature gunmetal look.

Edit: wait a minute - are you a representative for the manufacturer?

rainmaker33

Average Stuffer
May 8, 2020
This is the downgrade version of Formula X1 with a bit compromise on the size to fit more hardware.

Where can I view pictures of the interior of this Acat X1? The description states it can mount a top 120x12mm fan, but I am wondering how to mount it, cos when I look at the Formula X1 case interior, there's no fan mounting holes on top.