Enclosure Rule of thumb to fit graphics card width to a compact case

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Hi all, just wondering about rule of thumb for width of case to fit a GPU width just by dimension alone. Most if not all PC case only stated something like "can fit length x mm of GPU" or something the likes. It's always about the length but never(?) about the width.

I want to build the kids a PC but since our house is quite small, I want to build something compact yet budget friendly. I live in Indonesia and we have plenty of local brands that sells OEM Chinese PC cases. A lot of them sells compact mATX cases, but one local brand stood out with this one case. At 330x145x290 mm, it's smaller than NR200 but can fit a mATX board.

With a price tag of around US$35 locally, I'm very much intrigued, yet I wonder what kind of limitations I should know about the case. Obviously, being sold in Indonesia means we don't have Hardware Unboxed/GamersNexus level detail of youtube reviews. So any pointers on what limitations have only by its dimension alone? Should I add 10 mm from a case dimension to allow PCIE power connector to GPU or something?

Let's say the case dimension, 330x145x290 mm, will it fit MSI 4070 Ventus 2X with dimension of 242x125x43 mm? Clearly the length of the GPU fits inside the case, but I assume the width of the GPU (125mm) also fits within the case (145 mm)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

paradox gaming LUXY PG NEW TEMP LUXY 05 1

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
The case only lists the length and not the width but it does list max cooler clearance at 120mm, this will most likely match the width of the graphics card. I found this review that states the max width for the graphics card is 120mm.

Reactions: Midiamp

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
The case only lists the length and not the width but it does list max cooler clearance at 120mm, this will most likely match the width of the graphics card. I found this review that states the max width for the graphics card is 120mm.
NEAT. Not aware that CPU cooler clearance also accounts for GPU width. So at 120 mm clearance, anything wider than Nvidia/AMD/Intel(?) reference card won't fit. Bummer, but I guess it's given how slim the case is.