What is currently the most powerful GPU for the S4 Mini?

otraore

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
I want to put the best current gpu that will fit in the s4 mini. I'd prefer ones that would fit with little to no mods but I'm interested in all options. As far as I know, right now there are certain gtx 1070 minis that will fit without mods and the gtx 1080 mini from zotac with mods. I

otraore

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
Thanks, I have the hdplex 400 shipping in now, might get the 1080ti once vega comes out. Just don't want to have buyers remorse later on.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
@Zero has. Here is a link to his post in S4 thread but he has no pictures of it.
With the HDPlex 400 available now. We're eager to see more users stuffing 1080ti's into their S4 Mini cases :)

I didn't use a 1080ti Mini, I used a full-sized reference 1080ti by removing the S4 Mini bezel completely and leaving the card sticking out the front of the case like a hotrod car. It's still my card now; I've been using it for months.

The HDPlex 400 can handle it fine but the weakest link is the power brick; even the Dell 330w brick can't stand up to overclocking. You can buy some specialized power supplies like Mean Well brand that can do 400+ and 500+ wattage at 19v but they are expensive.

Edit: I have however used the Zotac 1080 non-ti Mini but I returned it because it had a lot of coil whine (I assume because they couldn't fit a lot of power smoothing components and large inductors on such a compact board). I imagine the ti would be even worse. The ti is the exact same size as the 1080 mini according to NewEgg, so it will only fit inside with the bezel removed or with the 3D bezel.

Last edited:

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
@Zero Do you have a picture of that?

Yeah, I think most users are trying to source the HP VooDoo brick for it.

I still don't think the extra 20w of a Voodoo brick would be enough if you want to overclock a 7700k and a 1080ti.

Here's my S4 Mini as I post from it; I have it mounted on a monitor arm and I leave the front plate off. I'm gonna try the Guryhwa 500w Pico PSU and that should tidy everything up a lot.

Thanks, I have the hdplex 400 shipping in now, might get the 1080ti once vega comes out. Just don't want to have buyers remorse later on.

The Vega is the same chip as the Vega FE that is already out, and there is nothing to suggest that Vega is even in the same league for energy efficiency as the 1080 / ti. I think you can safely get a 1080ti and be happy with it over the long term. Plus it hasn't ever been economical to mine cryptocoins with the 1080ti so they haven't had price/availability issues like the 1070/1080 and all the AMD stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3lfk1ng

otraore

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
I was looking forward to getting the zotac 1080 mini because I do want everything (except the power brick) enclosed in the s4 chassis to balance out performance, power draw, and heat. Although these coil whine issues are starting to worry me. I mainly game with headphones on and have never experienced coil whine before, do you think this would be an issue for me? @Zero.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
I was looking forward to getting the zotac 1080 mini
Although these coil whine issues are starting to worry me. @Zero.

Coil whine is not an issue if you use headphones or reasonable speakers. You wont hear it with some audio playing. Actually if youve never noticed it before and dont attempt to hear it you can go years without ever noticing it... but once you do... god help you because it will drive you crazy until you finally accept it and learn to ignore it. Now that you've started worrying about it tho you are going to hear it lol, its the way it works.

Reactions: cmyk78