ASUS Z370-I
Zotac GTX 1080 mini
i7-8700K
G.SKILL TridentZ 2x8gb
970 Evo 500gb m.2
noctua LP NH-L9i
S4
HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX

I ordered the HDPLEX combo with the 160w add-on but decided to cancel this in favor of a brick. Do I need anything else besides what is listed or any advice on choices already made? I am completely new to this idea of a tiny gaming machine but it excited me to think that it can be more portable than my laptop.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Current layout:
ASUS Z370-I
Zotac GTX 1080 mini
i7-8700K
G.SKILL TridentZ 2x8gb
970 Evo 500gb m.2
noctua LP NH-L9i
S4
HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX

I ordered the HDPLEX combo with the 160w add-on but decided to cancel this in favor of a brick. Do I need anything else besides what is listed or any advice on choices already made? I am completely new to this idea of a tiny gaming machine but it excited me to think that it can be more portable than my laptop.

Well... a lot of people had luck with using the Dell 330 Watt brick. I did not, and I have a very similar setup as yours (minus the 8700k, I have a 7600k). I think my issue is that I did not buy directly from Dell. A lot of knock offs may not have the same performance.

I ended up going with a GUnique system, and it works great. The brick can get very hot, and he has changed the power connector to be more compatible with the S4 and with heat. But I do love the build quality of the HDPlex, and am waiting on the 400 watt ACDC brick to become available to try an internal AC-DC build.

In your position, I would try to buy a Dell brick directly from their site, and if it doesn't work for you under load (although a lot of people suggest it does) then I would return it and reach out to Gury.