Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
So first, all the components of the current build:

Intel i7-7700 (cooled by Noctua NH-L9i)
Asus Strix Z270i Gaming Mini ITX
G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 3200 8GB (x2)
Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Mini
Samsung M.2-2280 SSD 120GB

The motherboard is plugged into a Corsair 1200 HXi (from my full tower, this build is for a buddy of mine) with a 24-pin and 8-pin connector, as well as another 8-pin to the GPU. However, after trying to start the mobo and getting it to POST, all that happens is a small click within the PSU (as if it turns on then off fairly quickly). I know the GPU works just fine as I've tested it in my tower, but I have no way of testing the other components (I think).

I've already gotten a replacement for the mobo, thinking it was a bad board, but a second time tells me otherwise. Any ideas? I'm not getting any lights telling me CPU, GPU, RAM or VGA errors....so I ave a feeling its a power draw issue....

Also, this will all fit into the NFC Systems s4 mini eventually, as well have the HDPlex 400 PSU+Dell 330W. (if that helps for future issues -_- ).

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Best procedure in these situations is to run through all the parts one by one as best you can.
  • Try resetting the BIOS
  • Try each stick of RAM individually, in each slot
  • Try booting the board without the GPU installed
  • Try without SSD installed
  • etc
Also reseat all connectors if you haven't already, maybe even remove and reinstall the CPU.

ScratchJak

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
Darn. Tried all of those, and also called ASUS. Nothing worked -_-

Could the power supply be the issue? I know it works with my tower, but for some reason it doesn't like this board...

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I suppose that's possible, though that'd be very odd.

Is this setup currently installed in a case?

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
Ive read somewhere that on powerproblems you had to change the pcie to gen2 in the bios. Dont know why but one guy replied that it helped.

ScratchJak

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
Finally got my HDPLEX400 and tried booting with it and it worked fine. Seemed that the problem was with my corsair psu. Works fine now :)

Reactions: Biowarejak

rchetal

Trash Compacter
May 30, 2017
Wow that sounds super similar to an issue I had a week ago (posted here https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/cant-get-to-post-immediately-shuts-down.2774/)

I have a very similar setup:
S4 Mini Chassis
Asus Strix Z270i Mini-ITX
MSI Aero 1070 ITX
Intel i5-7600K + Noctua L9i
GSkill TridentZ 3200MHz
Samsung 960 PRO 512gb
FireCuda 2tb + 8gb SSHD
G-Unique 400W Power supply + 400W brick

Every time I pressed the button it would seem to "pop" and reset the board. I assumed the psu was dead but I sent it back and gury tested it for me with the same motherboard and it seemed to be perfectly fine. I have been using an EVGA 400W psu temporarily but I never did figure out what was wrong with it.

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
The asus z270i is a very strange board. I have it also and it behaves unpredictable all the time