NFC S4 Mini brickless build power connector ground

Metblack328i

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 25, 2019
Howdy folks. Newbie in the forum here. I just joined the S4 mini cult and migrating from a Node 202 build. Below is what I currently have:
  1. Asrock Z390 ITX motherboard
  2. Intel 9400F CPU
  3. 16 GB DDR4 RAM
  4. NVME and 2.5" SSD drive
  5. Zotac 2060 Mini (twin fan model). Exactly the same dimensions as Josh's zotac 2070 brickless build
  6. Ordered these - S4 Mini case, power button, C8 wire from amazon, HDPlex 400W AC-DC and DC-DC unit
Now coming to my question, from what I understand,
  1. You cannot use a C14 Connector as there is not enough space with the brickless build. So if I use a C8 connector that is included in the HDplex package, where do I connect the yellow ground wire in the C8 female connector so that the system is safe? I did google a lot about this and I see people connecting it to the chassis. But I also read that its not safe thing to do.
  2. Withe the 2 fans on the GPU removed, can I use the Skybracket (not the duo) and mount a Slim 120mm noctua fan instead of the 2 that I remove from the GPU? The reason I want to do this is because the 2.5" SSD is required for my usecase. And the Skybracket duo was going to be used for that purpose. (I was going to buy another duo bracket but NFC is sold out).
Thanks for all your help.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
For no.1, you don't even need to connect the yellow ground wire to the case since the hdplex case is already grounded, so by mounting it inside you're already connecting the case to the brick's ground.

Now this doesn't connect the case's ground to your home (or your grid) ground if you don't use a three pronged connector like C14 or C6.

So... no use worrying about it if you're using C8. Safe or not, it depends on a lot of factor. I've had different ungrounded systems, some sting some never do.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
You cannot use a C14 Connector as there is not enough space with the brickless build. So if I use a C8 connector that is included in the HDplex package, where do I connect the yellow ground wire in the C8 female connector so that the system is safe? I did google a lot about this and I see people connecting it to the chassis. But I also read that its not safe thing to do.

if you bought a SkyReach within the last 3 months, then its the new/revised version, that is C6 compatible.

i know HDPLEX 400W AC-DC doesn't come with a C6 cable, but that's exactly what you should use.

you can buy it separately.

ungrounded power is not safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawney

Metblack328i

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 25, 2019
if you bought a SkyReach within the last 3 months, then its the new/revised version, that is C6 compatible.

i know HDPLEX 400W AC-DC doesn't come with a C6 cable, but that's exactly what you should use.

you can buy it separately.

ungrounded power is not safe.
thanks. I just ordered the s4 mini in the last 2 days. Can you please point me to the c6 inlet that works? I see some on amazon but i want to be sure they fit the cutout and mounting holes. Thanks

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
thanks. I just ordered the s4 mini in the last 2 days. Can you please point me to the c6 inlet that works? I see some on amazon but i want to be sure they fit the cutout and mounting holes. Thanks

i've never done that inlet method out of the 2 possible methods.

for just a few bucks on amazon, you can do my method instead.

use this below adapter with the cord, that already comes with your HDPLEX 400W AC-DC - unbelievably easy !!!

Metblack328i

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 25, 2019
Thanks @Choidebu. I did that earlier and have this sitting in my amazon card right now. Will wait for the S4M to arrive and measure the opening before I order it. Its has 90 degree connectors in the back. So I am hoping it will clear the brick inside.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Looks good. Easy enough to solder, even has labels to see which is which (L, N, and Gnd symbol). It should clear the brick - it's as deep as panel mount C8.

Although I'd choose one with proper metal insert for the screw holes cause plastic holes would degrade if you screw/unscrew multiple times - not that you'd need to do that of course...

Reactions: Metblack328i