What games are you playing?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Been sinking 50 hours into Civilization Beyond Earth - I know it's late but I don't buy games at launch anymore cause I can't stand the "incomplete" version at launch. Wait a year or two, get the "definitive/GOTY" version with everything included and massive discount to top it off. All hail Gaben!!!

saxovtsmike

Chassis Packer
Feb 25, 2020
Been sinking 50 hours into Civilization Beyond Earth - I know it's late but I don't buy games at launch anymore cause I can't stand the "incomplete" version at launch. Wait a year or two, get the "definitive/GOTY" version with everything included and massive discount to top it off. All hail Gaben!!!

Played one Fraction to victory a month after release, then i lost interrest, BUT the hours spent where well invested.
Ex Pubg victim, played weak, mostly running and looting simulator Erangel /EU only (~600h), then POE Metamorph and Dilirium leage, where I lost interrest again cause of the ripyness of the leage mechanics...
Dropped back to Elite Dangerous, now I want to have a full cockpit or at least a streamdeck and a hotas...

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Been playing Assetto Corsa and Ridge Racer (PSP) mostly. Might play Dauntless or Halo next.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
After giving Generation Zero another go during the free weekend, also having free-loaded the last time it went free for a weekend, I gave up giving the game my attention.

Even though it is a promising game with many good ideas, it's filled with bad execution and frustrating gameplay after X hours of play. This game could have been a solid exploration and story-driven game like Fallout, but it's not much of both. Exploration is often disrupted by heavy and overpowered enemies that require half of the ammo and healing I'm carrying, even at the lowest difficulty and at level 10 (max 30 I think). We're talking Robocop's ED-209 or vs a kid with rusty weapons.

I'm still holding out that it follows No Man's Sky and tries to correct itself.

Reactions: Soul_Est

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Had a hankering for some strategy and went back to my favorite Total War game, Medieval 2. Realizing I have smashed this game a dozen times, I’m trying out a mod called Stainless Steel. Has made the game much harder and more satisfying.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
They all share the same DNA, really it’s what setting/timeline interests you. I love medieval European history so it’s my favorite so far.

The only real complaints on the pre warhammer entries are once you get 20-30% of the territory’s you can steamroll everything. This SS mod limits recruits and slows down your ability to stack top tier units. Gotten my butt kicked twice trying to fight two front wars, but I think I’ve got a real shot this time around.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Finally nearing the end of BotW, but given the progression system in that game (spoiler: there kinda isn't one) I'm rather terrified of heading towards the finish. As usual with open-world games I'm spending way too much time exploring, which inevitably leads to exhaustion and putting the game away for a while. But I'm going to finish it! I promise!

Also finally got around to playing Ori and the Blind Forest last week, and it was great - it's been a long time since I've played a platformer that good. And I ran through Sayonara Wild Hearts in a bit over an hour yesterday, and I have to say I never thought a rhythm arcade game would bring me to tears. That is some impeccable world building and visual storytelling, with an amazing cohesion between gameplay, aesthetics and narrative. The music fits the game perfectly too, though at times the levels felt short (ended as I felt I was really getting into the groove of gameplay) and the smooth movement and shifting perspectives were a bit odd for that type of game. I also wish the analog sticks on my elite controller weren't as worn as they are, but it was still impeccably playable. Overall, I loved it. Definitely has replay value too - I only hit gold rank on one level, so plenty of progress to be made should I feel like grinding for a bit.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Ori and Hollow Knight both have been two of my favorite releases in the last few years, and I don’t really go for metroidvanias.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Hollow Knight is high on my Switch wishlist too, just can't quite get myself to buy it given all the other games I still haven't played :p

Reactions: Soul_Est

jetmanblack

Caliper Novice
Oct 20, 2019

I know its not new, but I've been obsessed with Nier: Automata lately!

Both Ori and Hollow Knight are on my whishlist for the Switch

The first Ori is fantastic, cant wait for the new one to go on sale!

Horizon Zero Dawn is up for preorder on Steam. Currently slogging thru Anima Gate of Memories, but can’t really recommend it.
Didn't know that Horizon Zero Dawn is going on steam. I have it for the PS4 Pro, but the fans get loud!

The base PS4 is so loud it makes me wonder how it became the best-selling console of this generation - my Xbox One is so much nicer in terms of noise. Still definitely prefer PC too, but consoles do have their pros (ease of use being chief among them). I'll probably be getting both the new ones when they arrive, but then it's kind of a requirement of my job. Kind of excited for the XSX (makes me want to move my PC to a matching upright case XD ), we'll see how the PS5 compares.

If you have a regular PS4, not the pro, you can remove the bottom panel and cut a hole in it (maybe add a fan grill too). It'll make it wolds quieter. Especially if you add some rubber feet.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I recently started playing a F2P Mad-Max style brawler called Crossout and had a lot of fun with that.

Back into Siege again now though, just keeps pulling me back haha
Managed to get back to platinum last night which is reassuring that I'm still okay at the game lol

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I'm actually trying to get through Very Hard mode in Streets of Rage 4 and there's still the Mania difficulty mode after that, and then Arcade difficulty (if I hate myself hard enough).

I also bought Sonic Mania and its "plus" DLC during the weekend. I just finished Press Garden zone during my lunch break. Very nice game so far, best Sonic game I've played since .... Sonic & Knuckle on the Megadrive/Genesis.

Last edited: