What games are you playing?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
My 2nd week in Overwatch- I've played about 12 hours in total and leveling up modestly. I haven't gotten a Play of the Game yet so it feels like either I am still very so-so even compared to like-leveled teammates, or my play style doesn't easily merit POTG :-/

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
My 2nd week in Overwatch- I've played about 12 hours in total and leveling up modestly. I haven't gotten a Play of the Game yet so it feels like either I am still very so-so even compared to like-leveled teammates, or my play style doesn't easily merit POTG :-/
Keep at it! What class and main have you gone for now?

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
PlayerUnknown'sBattlegrounds - Had this since the weekend on Steam as a donation from a good friend. He wanted to do Duo and Squad runs, so needed more players.
It's fun, a bit ragged (Early Access), and immensely frustrating for me. It's unlike any other game I've played. It's up to 100 players Battle Royale. You start (free falling into the game) unarmed and run round to gear up, hopefully without dying. The Battleground randomly shrinks over time, bringing the players together.
I've had a couple of top 20 places, but haven't managed to kill anyone yet...pretty much the first person I see gets me :mad:

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
PlayerUnknown'sBattlegrounds - Had this since the weekend on Steam as a donation from a good friend. He wanted to do Duo and Squad runs, so needed more players.
It's fun, a bit ragged (Early Access), and immensely frustrating for me. It's unlike any other game I've played. It's up to 100 players Battle Royale. You start (free falling into the game) unarmed and run round to gear up, hopefully without dying. The Battleground randomly shrinks over time, bringing the players together.
I've had a couple of top 20 places, but haven't managed to kill anyone yet...pretty much the first person I see gets me :mad:
i recently just picked this game up. Did a couple solo and got in top ten in my first run. Would love to find more people but i hardly play due to my time available mostly a little during the week or weekends. This game had my sweat palms and i haven't been like that in ages so it is pretty exciting.

Been playing battlegrounds, overwatch, ghost recon wildlands, and black desert online here and there. Get bored of one move onto the other.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I've not been on for a couple of days as I've been busy this week, but did get a couple of hours in last night at my weekly LAN.
Halo, CoD4, Fistful of Frags, FEAR(1), Cod5/WAW Zombies.

You're spot on with the tension in PUBG, it's different to other games, as you have 'invested' so much time/effort (relatively!) into getting down and loaded up, that you're on full alert.
It's all over when you're shot, unlike most other games there are no comebacks into that battle. Respawn? Hah, that's for lightweights.
For me, it's been a lot of Sniper Elite 3 lately, finishing off the DLC missions. I'll miss it, I like the feel and look of the game; very smooth and well lit; very much in contrast to PUBG, which is amusingly rough at the edges and unfinished.
GRW would eat my life up, and BDO looks epic, and again a time sink.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Battlegrounds is the best gaming experience I've had in at least the last half a decade! Its frustrating because I haven't been able to play it (or any other game) for the last 2 months, I moved into a new build early June and still haven't got internet yet! I've used up so much phone data my mobile bill has been through the roof! That and the pending case launch in late August means I've not been able to play. I'm hoping to get some time back mid September onwards if any of you guys are still playing then we can team up? ha ha sounds so nerdy!

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Battlegrounds is the best gaming experience I've had in at least the last half a decade! Its frustrating because I haven't been able to play it (or any other game) for the last 2 months, I moved into a new build early June and still haven't got internet yet! I've used up so much phone data my mobile bill has been through the roof! That and the pending case launch in late August means I've not been able to play. I'm hoping to get some time back mid September onwards if any of you guys are still playing then we can team up? ha ha sounds so nerdy!

Hey, I just got into that game as well. It's been so cool! I'm getting crashes quite frequently now though. Last weeks it's been almost unplayable :(

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
And now I really wish I had a VR simpit for House of the Dying Sun:
HotDS really doesn't play well with anything other than gamepad, so a simpit would be a bit wasted.
I hope with the release of Star Citizen, good VR headsets with high resolution are available, space and race sims seem excellent candidates for VR applications.
I'm really looking forward to the new crop of space sim (and arcade) games that have had a resurgence in parallel with VR. The aforementioned House of the Dying Sun, Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen (eventually), Everspace, Starfighter Inc, Rogue System, Infinity Battlescape (Infinity! A real blast from the past), Darkfield, Limit Theory, and probably a bunch of other's I've missed.

Reactions: Phuncz

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
House of the Dying Sun seems like an interesting one. Half of those names I don't recognize, though, and I have little hope left for Star Citizen. It's shaping up to be this generation's Duke Nukem: delayed for decades, eventually going to release to middling reviews.

I should mention Valkyrie is a good on to add to the list, though it is fairly arcadey.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I wasn't a big fan of Eve Valkyrie, but mostly because I'm not a fan of online-only shooters in general, and the pretty awful controls (no throttle, just a 'boost' and 'brake' button, and lack of lateral thrust).

Star Citizen seems a pretty far cry from Duke Nukem, as the development is almost completely public (even the internal dev timelines, which is unusual), and there is more "here's what we're working on" content put out than one person could even reasonably keep up with. And unlike Duke Nukem, focus has been on backend systems to start with (hiring most of the CryEngine team after CryTek's collapse) and developing core tech like the animation system (the head-centric camera attached to the actual character model is a particularly interesting one) rather than building content then hopping to a new engine and starting from scratch over and over.

Reactions: 3lfk1ng

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Keep at it! What class and main have you gone for now?

I main Lucio, Sombra and Mei, in that order. That covers 3 out of the 4 classes, and tank class is my least used class. I tend to feel more at home with faster chars with a few exceptions like Mei, but trying to do better in tracking my shots for heroes that don't have hitscan. What I've noticed is you can get POTG easily if you can get one environmental kill followed up with just one or two kills, which I find interesting.

Limit Theory

Ah yes, someone remembers this game. I feel bad that I missed out on getting the public beta of the game from the crowdfunding campaign. It does not have run-and-gun on planets gameplay like Star Citizen but I think that is a good thing as it keeps the scope of the game from going all over the place. I liked watching the developer videos, with its nice (IMO) UI, simulated space economies and faction histories. Too bad its only developer has gone AWOL for a while.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Weredawg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 5, 2017
I haven't played in game in 5 years since getting together with my now wife (I sold my games, consoles, and all PC hardware/tech when we started). She did pre-order me the new 2DS XL and it arrives tomorrow. I got a lot of catching up to do. Starting off with A Link Between Worlds

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I am playing Nier: Automata, currently on my second playthrough (successive playthroughs vary and reveal more of the story). I probably wouldn't have, but the praise it got and this video, in particular, convinced me to give it a chance. The description he gives for why it didn't initially appeal to him - "some weird Japanese hack-and-slash starring some kinky French maid dominatrix" - were pretty much my exact thoughts, and why I gave it a pass initially. I'm not sure I consider it a masterpiece the way he does, but I definitely think it's worth playing.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I wasn't a big fan of Eve Valkyrie, but mostly because I'm not a fan of online-only shooters in general, and the pretty awful controls (no throttle, just a 'boost' and 'brake' button, and lack of lateral thrust).
Well, I did say it was arcadey.
I do agree, I tend to prefer more simulator type flying games, and I think one of the one that does spaceflight next is a Freespace 2 mod called Diaspora based on the Battlestar Galactica IP. Sadly as far as I am aware, the Freespace Open Engine doesn't support VR at the moment (granted, it has been a couple months since I visited the Hardlight Forums)

Star Citizen seems a pretty far cry from Duke Nukem, as the development is almost completely public (even the internal dev timelines, which is unusual), and there is more "here's what we're working on" content put out than one person could even reasonably keep up with. And unlike Duke Nukem, focus has been on backend systems to start with (hiring most of the CryEngine team after CryTek's collapse) and developing core tech like the animation system (the head-centric camera attached to the actual character model is a particularly interesting one) rather than building content then hopping to a new engine and starting from scratch over and over.[/QUOTE]
They have rebuilt their graphics backend at least once and have redone visuals for multiple things as technology progresses, and after how many years now, despite them constantly showing stuff off, it doesn't seem to be much closer to an actual release.
The problem here is feature creep: the original scope of the kickstarter was reasonable as was the goal (though I will grant nobody ever meets the dates they promise), but after they got funded to the moon they decided to make it into an everything sim which is a LOT of work, and rather than taking the Elite: Dangerous route where they focus on one core gameplay aspect, release, and then try to add things out, they seem to want to do everything at once, and change their focus between the various aspects every few months, never completing any one.
===
Anyways, where VR is concerned, I just had a thought there: It would be neat to see a Heavy Gear VR game. It would be a fun bit of gameplay and story integration because of the lore. Last I remember it was stated that the mecha (gears) in that universe originally use regular screens in the cockpit but have since moved to transmitting the camera images to a head mounted display so the pilot has proper depth perception.
That would be a perfect excuse for a game since you as the player would have the wear a head mounted display the same as your character would be.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
rather than taking the Elite: Dangerous route where they focus on one core gameplay aspect, release, and then try to add things out, they seem to want to do everything at once
But that's exactly what they're doing. You can even download and play the iterating prototypes, today, and the space combat component is to be broken out into a separate game to be released first (Squadron 42).
It would be neat to see a Heavy Gear VR game.
I'm keeping an eye on Vox Machinae (the demo is on an old API version, so will no longer run).

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm looking forward to Vox Machinae too, but as a big MW3 fan I really hope the new single-player MechWarrior game in development will have VR support.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I'm looking forward to Vox Machinae too, but as a big MW3 fan I really hope the new single-player MechWarrior game in development will have VR support.
PGI have announced the intention to add VR support. But it's PGI, so after MWO, and the 'Transverse' farce, I'm not going to hold my breath until the game is actually released.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I just hope this Harmony Gold bullshit doesn't kill the in-development Mechwarrior or the in-beta Battletech game.