What games are you playing?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Didn't The Unseen get removed a long time ago? Or is Harmony Gold pulling yet more bullshit?
::EDIT:: Ah, more bullshit from Harmony Gold it is then, fuckers.

Short history:
- FASA licensed some designs for early Battletech mechs from Studio Nue, creators of Macross.
- Harmony Gold licensed the Macross TV series from Tatsunoko (who partnered with Studio Nue for Macross distribution) to cut up and smash together with two unrelated TV series to create Robotech for distribution in the US.
- Tatsunoko and Studio Nue get into a fight about who owns the Macross franchise. It is resolved as Tatsunoko owning distribution rights for the original TV series, and Studio Nue owning everything else (designs, subsequent TV series rights, etc)
- Harmony Gold threatened FASA with legal action over the licensed designs

The Tasunoko/Studio Nue judgement means that Harmony Gold only have the rights to distribute the series. However, Harmony Gold have repeatedly overstepped the mark and claimed rights to all Macross products (toys, games, etc) and even other Macross TV series that feature the same designs. This has effectively blocked pretty much anything Macross-related from being licensed in the US (and by extension anywhere in English). Harmony Gold have enough remaining assets and a demonstrated litigious nature that nobody wants to 'pay the HG tax' and waste their money defeating them in court.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Well Harebrained Schemes game (the ones who are getting sued) are using assets from MWO for the Battletech game, and a couple of the models in MWO are dangerously close to the unseen (the Archer and Rifleman especially, but it does appear that Harmony Gold are definitely pulling some copyright trolling claiming than an Atlas looks like an Armored Valkyrie (The Valkyrie was used by FASA as the Phoenix Hawk), a Jenner looks like a Glaug (what FASA used as the Marauder) (both of these are original BT artworks not derivative of anything, and are some of the oldest mechs), and that a Shadow Hawk (Originally based on something from Fang of the Sun Dougram) resembles a Destroid Spartan (what FASA used as the art for the Archer).

I keep hoping someone can dig up money to actually take HG on in court, since they pull this shit every few years, so an actual definitive ruling rather than a settlement would stop this periodic extortion. Not to mention HG's rights have also blocked distribution of Macross in the US, and Japanese courts found that the people who sold the US distribution rights for Macross to HG in the first place had no right to do so.

raymondo

Trash Compacter
Mar 2, 2015
Basically only Cities: Skylines, Total War Warhammer and Euro Truck Simulator 2 as well as American Truck Simulator for the past year, though only offline. Some short games (Wolfenstein, Shadow Tactics) now and then but the aforementioned are the ones I consistently play. No online or competitive gaming for me.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Finally got around to playing Hyper Light Drifter. The visual and audio design is fantastic, but it's brutal if you're not a regular player of reflex-brawlers. Miss a pattern on a boss, and you're already dead.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Nothing online currently.
Before it was armored warfare, world of tanks and world of warships.

Still waiting for star citizen..:)

Right now i've just finished pillars of eternity, and i'm doing expansion pack white march..:)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm torn between getting Elite Dangerous now and Star Citizen. There's elements from both that I like. Elite Dangerous looks like a hardcore space travel sim done right, on the other hand it's just you controlling your spaceship. Star Citizen feels like you'll dive into the slippery slope of the free-mium game model, but it has seamless action where you can go on-foot or jump into many vehicles.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Neither have subscription fees, so aren't both Elite and Star Citizen 'freemium' by that measure? Or rather, neither are freemium as both have an up-front sale price, so use the same model as Guild Wars & Guild Wars 2.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Currently playing Ridge Racer, Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy, and Gran Turismo via PPSSPP.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Ffxiv, wow on occasion and splatoon 2 with my daughter. To many games for sure right now!
How are you liking Splatoon 2? I could only afford to keep a Switch long enough for the first Splatfests (before the game officially launched).

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Well, as much as I hate to admit it, I've been playing No Man's Sky in the little gaming time I have. It's received some very nice updates as of late and is an enjoyable time killer. I didn't buy it at launch due to the negative feedback, but did recently when it was on sale. No regrets so far.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Well, as much as I hate to admit it, I've been playing No Man's Sky in the little gaming time I have. It's received some very nice updates as of late and is an enjoyable time killer. I didn't buy it at launch due to the negative feedback, but did recently when it was on sale. No regrets so far.
I've also revisited it since 1.3, but I've had to wait a few patches before I could proceed with my savegame. As many others experienced, my base also ended up somewhere underground (probably due to a mod). To address this, I made a new base on another planet but the Scientist didn't allow me to continue it's questline. After a few patches this was fixed though.

There wasn't really that much to do and the extra story line is quite dull with a lot of fetch quests and only be rewarded with crap like "---kzzttt--- help me ---krrzzztt--- stuck on unknown planet". The extra inventory space is useless when you need to transfer it through other storages first to move. It's still a dull game when there is no multiplayer, challenges or real mission to speak of. I'm hoping some day for a good sequel or atleast a good expansion.

EDIT: Apparently Sean Murray already heard my cries, patch 1.35 has just been released.
Improved transferring items between inventories
Along with a dozen other Quality of Life improvements.

Last edited:

Jordy

Trash Compacter
Sep 17, 2017
Oldschool RuneScape
- This game is kinda a part of my life, started playing 11 years ago when i was 8 years old.