What games are you playing?

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I know it's been out for a while, but KSP is the best game I have played recently since the original Half-life came out.

"Lets see if the game will let me do this" is really what translates to fun for me.

So when I had my Kerbal get out of the spacecraft and was able to help push my out-of-fuel capsule back into a re-entry orbit. Mind = blown!

What makes KSP tricky is picking the right amount of ambition without getting bogged down or bored.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I recently started playing Rise of The Tomb Raider as I got "burnt-out" on Factorio for a while. I was amazed how good it scaled with Crossfire. It allows me to play at 3440x1440 with all options maxed out (except textures, no improvement but low performance) and MSAA x8 at good framerates. Although it dips below 60fps sometimes and has some jerking typical of asset loading delays.

I'm nearly 3 hours in and it's again, like the Tomb Raider reboot from 2013 an very enjoyable adventure game with some RPG elements, interesting combat and entertaining puzzles.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
What makes KSP tricky is picking the right amount of ambition without getting bogged down or bored.

Very true. I got stuck up in making usable rovers for the mun that could refuel smaller rovers and spent 5 hours getting the docking to work on kerbin, only to find out that it didn't work on the mun. There are so many hard things to do in this game, just giving up on something early isn't a problem, you can always come back to it later.

Reactions: Biowarejak

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Very true. I got stuck up in making usable rovers for the mun that could refuel smaller rovers and spent 5 hours getting the docking to work on kerbin, only to find out that it didn't work on the mun. There are so many hard things to do in this game, just giving up on something early isn't a problem, you can always come back to it later.

One thing that continually happened to me in Career mode, was getting hung up on trying to rescue or salvage the crap that I had sent all over the universe on earlier missions. Also trying to do too many missions at once. It was hard to just give up on Kerbals or working parts that I left everywhere. Successfully rescuing it was difficult but rewarding.

Eventually I just said the hell with career mode in order to try and focus on specific things without going too far off path, and also not having to worry about managing savegames when I needed to re-do things. It got really hard to remember which savegame was which. Like oh "This is the save where Jeb died but I made it back to earth"...

It's a simply awesome game though, and not just a game but an application of science at the same time.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
It's a simply awesome game though, and not just a game but an application of science at the same time.
That is why I love it :) between my projects I haven't found much time to play recently, but I've learned so much by playing. That, to me, makes all the difference. That's why I'd rather pursue my projects than sit in a lecture hall.

-Edit-

I'd also like to point out that for the longest time I couldn't get to orbit... I actually wound up reaching escape velocity before I pulled it off :) Sorry Jeb! May you rest in deep space.

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 6, 2017
I've only heard good things about Pokemon Uranium so far, I wonder whether it could rekindle my love for this type of game.
It is really good IMO. I've got all 8 badges, but I haven't gotten to the league yet so I imagine I'm nearing the end.

There are a few more technical imperfections though, I'm fairly sure I have the latest updated version of the game and there's still many pokemon (mostly the ones unique to this game) that don't have moving animations in battle. There's also a time or two I noticed mistakes in the audio, most specifically I was onboard a cruise ship in the game and I got into a battle and the overworld music was playing underneath the battle music.

I can forgive that stuff for the most part though because it's a great story.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Since I blew out both of my Rx cards on ebay to the miners... I have been hitting some stuff that is easy to run even at 2k with a 1050ti.
Borderlands the Pre Sequel, Warthunder, Stellaris and even Total War Warhammer are very playable with dialed settings on my Mod Mini shown in my avatar. I can't say enough good things about the 1050ti. If you want to game it really gets it done for 140 or less while sipping the juice. A terrific 750ti replacement for sff/low power builds or even buffing an OEM box on the cheap.

Been fun going through the Steam backlog while I wait for the Asrock Am4 board. Maybe even run this until/if a Vega nano shows up.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
mmmn I'll have a go for a bit first. Used to play spiral knights without a server in asia and pvp wasn't fun with that lag ._.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak was on sale so I broke down and picked it up (first game purchase in a year or two) and it's much better than I thought it'd be.

I loved the original so I was skeptical this would recapture the feel since it's not even set in space, but I'm really enjoying it so far and it's consumed all my free time the past few days :p

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak was on sale so I broke down and picked it up (first game purchase in a year or two) and it's much better than I thought it'd be.

I loved the original so I was skeptical this would recapture the feel since it's not even set in space, but I'm really enjoying it so far and it's consumed all my free time the past few days :p
It's not my favorite game, but I enjoyed it as well.
The LOS mechanics, are more useful than Homeworld's 3 dimensional movement as far as I am concerned. The latter didn't REALLY grant that much of a tactical advantage, and it was always a bit awkward that ships maneuvered more like submarines.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Moving like submarines describes the original games perfectly. I think there's a mod to do it, but I really wish true 3D movement was the default to make "the enemy's gate is down" type tactics possible.

And now I really wish I had a VR simpit for House of the Dying Sun:

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
I recently started playing Runescape again because they announced a mobile version coming later in the year for iOS and Android. Its been kind of fun reliving my 13 year old selfs favorite game from when I played back in 06.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I hope with the release of Star Citizen, good VR headsets with high resolution are available, space and race sims seem excellent candidates for VR applications.
The flying portion of Elite Dangerous is great in VR, the driving not so much. The problem is your view is locked to the chassis as a reference point which makes it nauseating when you go over a large hill; your view shifts rapidly up and down; in real life when you hit such a hill, your body automatically compensates to keep our head as close to the same orientation as possible.
I would like a bit higher resolution for menu readability, though.

I need to play more Valkyrie. I ordered it before my Vive since it was on sale, but I haven't actually played it that much.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I started playing PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds this week. It's one of those "unpolished diamond" kind of deals. And I can't stop thinking about it. Though it's frustrating I have a friend who is patient in the wrong places (loots the entire towns dry, stands in the middle of a field gearswapping) and impatient in the right places (going full frontal assault on a clearly defensive chokepoint).

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
I think I'll try Albion. I didn't know it came out. It reminds me of the days I played Mu Online because my parents wouldn't buy me vanilla wow:p.

Reactions: Soul_Est