What did you do today?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
While recovering from an unusually nasty bout of the Flu, I tried my hand at some basic leatherworking:
I wanted to get a nice leather belt with one of AustriAlpin's quick-release Cobra buckles, but my only options for any store in Europe that actually had stock were a too-long brown belt or one with a garish blue & green buckle.
Cut the belt down to length (first photo shows the cut-off original end), skived the leather down a bit (could probably be thinner, but I used a sanding drum on a rotary tool rather than a skiving knife, because that's what I had), and after practising saddle-stitching on the two cosmetic edging stitches, glued the leather together with regular impact adhesive then ran two rows of stitching. The belt was originally secured with only one row of machine-stitching and no glue, so I'm pretty confidant the new end is stronger than it was, even if it's not the most elegant.
It's hard to see in the last picture, but the belt loops alternately between the loops in the armoured jeans and an extra partial-belt with a zip on the upper edge, that then zips into a riding jacket. The idea being that if you go sliding off it keeps the jacket from riding up or the jeans from riding down and exposing your back/sides.

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I got home last night and my bestest buddy (the UPS guy) had paid me a visit. He dropped off a pair of 16" AOC USB monitors. I hacked together 2 different monitor stands to get the monitors mounted above my ultrawide. It's not pretty, but it's a good short term solution until a proper stand with mounting for all 3 arrives. Functionally, it works very well.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Changed out the front brakes on my 2005 Mazda 3 after work.

Also, in more exiting hardware news.
I picked up an open box Fractal Node 202 with the included PSU for 35 USD from a craigslist add! The guy took it out of the box once and decided to go ATX he said. I really don't 'need' another case but that deal... So I pulled the reference 980 from my daily driver, put my Asus z97i with a 45w Haswell Xeon in it and am using it now to hit my favorite place on the net. I ran some benches to heat load the system and temps aren't terrible nor is the noise. Had very low expectations on that front after reading reviews and user feedback but am pleasantly surprised.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Installed (customised) roof racks on my car, awaiting some timber so I can build a tray :)

Also, stress tested a PSU, confirmed a mobo review sample incoming, started testing two coolers, confirmed a case sample incoming, and worked an 8 hr shift at my day job.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Installed (customised) roof racks on my car, awaiting some timber so I can build a tray :)

Also, stress tested a PSU, confirmed a mobo review sample incoming, started testing two coolers, confirmed a case sample incoming, and worked an 8 hr shift at my day job.

Full day there!

So any chance that new mobo is say from Asus and maybe, I don't know, of the Am4 variety?!

Looking forward to more reviews no matter what it is so thanks in advance. :)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
<rant>

FACEBOOK. HAVE IT NOT OCCURRED TO YOU JOCKS THAT PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO TRANSFER THE BACKUP FILE FROM AN ANDRIOD DEVICE TO AN IOS DEVICE FOR WHATSAPP? WHY HAVE YOU NOT CODED THAT IN YET SINCE YOU BOUGHT THE EVERLOVING CRAP OUT OF THEM?!

GOOGLE. I WOULD LIKE TO DOWNLOAD SAID BACKUP PLEASE. LET ME FREAKING GRAB THE FILE IN YOUR DUMB BACKUPS SUBCATEGORY

</rant>

level headed EDIT: TIL that's not going to happen without possibly shady 3rd party wormhole programs.

Last edited: