What did you do today?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I still feel like a chimpansee trying to figure out how to assemble a laptop when I try to understand all the "stuff" happening. Maybe I'm trying to hard to have it make sense.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I still feel like a chimpansee trying to figure out how to assemble a laptop when I try to understand all the "stuff" happening. Maybe I'm trying to hard to have it make sense.
Which laptop?

Today, I'm working on my resume and figuring out my NixOS installs. Work was a mess as usual.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Today I did a health checkup of one of my old rigs.

IIRC, just about 13 years ago, this monstrosity was born. This is the final rig before I ditched using a case. Subsequently, I began using open benchtables and open frames exclusively.

IMHO, this is one of the best air flow case of all time. Humongous CM HF932 is 77-litre and weighs in at almost 13.2 kg (almost 30 lbs for the non metric minority) just by itself with no hardwares.

HAF means 'high air flow'. Three 230 x 30mm and one 140 x 25 fans spin at max 700 rpm, moving tons of air in dead silence.

Tried to boot it up and got no response except 4 short beeps. This means the onboard timer is not working properly. After replacing with a new CR2032 battery, it boots up happily.

Quiz time for those who good eyes:- name any hardware component you see. Make a guess if you wish.
BTW, OS is Windows Vista.

In another thread, this rig could also win the Space Inefficiency award too, I suppose. But there is a reason behind the huge empty space. It is there by design.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
name any hardware component you see. Make a guess if you wish.
Corsair HX1000 PSU? ;)

I'm guessing the GPU is a GTX 580? Guess it could be a 570 too. I'm guessing you upgraded that later, and didn't use a time machine to get it :p

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Corsair HX1000 PSU? ;)

You're not taking any risk there XD .... but the full reference is HX1000W ;), the W is actually part of the model name (I have the HX520W at home, still rock solid).

I'm guessing the GPU is a GTX 580? Guess it could be a 570 too. I'm guessing you upgraded that later, and didn't use a time machine to get it :p

The "just about 13 years ago, this monstrosity was born" was a trap then XD. That notch, where the sticker lies, really is typical from the 500 series blower shroud. Nice catch :thumb:

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
You're not taking any risk there XD .... but the full reference is HX1000W ;), the W is actually part of the model name (I have the HX520W at home, still rock solid).
Corsair's product page lists it as just HX1000, though I guess it might be consolidating several variants into one? I frankly have no idea, I just went with what Google told me :p
The "just about 13 years ago, this monstrosity was born" was a trap then XD. That notch, where the sticker lies, really is typical from the 500 series blower shroud. Nice catch
Thanks! I guess we can take the "was born" metaphor a bit further than just "created" - I don't think any of us today look like we did when we were born after all ;)

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I frankly have no idea, I just went with what Google told me :p

It quite unclear and even Corsair refers to it has the HX1000 or the HX1000W in their product description ... XD

Thanks! I guess we can take the "was born" metaphor a bit further than just "created" - I don't think any of us today look like we did when we were born after all ;)

I already had long curly hairs and a beard right from the start ! It just took time for others to notice it ;)

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
@GuilleAcoustic @Valantar

The GPU is a GTX 570. It is this one in this thread (not my thread though).

The motherboard is Asus P6T6 WS Revolution indeed!! Good eyes!

The cooler is a SilverArrow. Thermalright uses this name loosely and it has many variants. Mine is the SB-E Extreme with eight 6mm heatpipes.

The PSU is, of course, Corsair HX1000. Whether its official name has the 'W' suffix, I let you guys decide...lol

Asus P6T6 WS Revolution was picked for its six PCIE x16 (2.0 back then) slots. At the peak of its power, this rig had three overclocked GTX 570s in 3-way SLI formation. This is part of the reason why a 1000W PSU was needed.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
1366 socket, so which CPU @tinyitx?

No need for justification, we won't judge you :D
These 2 quotes are related. Let me finish the story:-

The CPU was an i7 965 Extreme Edition. In those days, everyone wanted an i7 920, which was known to be a good overclocker and, therefore, had high cost-to-performance ratio. But it was all sold out. So, I grabbed the next one up the ladder. It had unlocked unlimited Multi and so it was relatively easy to overclock. That is why the SilverArrow SB-E Extreme was called upon to tame the beast. Some time later, I changed to water cooling with a TEC chiller🥶 (which led to sub ambient water temp and I got to play with insulation to counter condensation. That was fun BTW), which drew a tremendous amount of power. This is the complete reason why 1000W was needed. It was fully justified.😁

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm considering what next "console" to add to my living room setup. Quoting it because it's not from the big 3 console makers, but something that is rather multipurpose and hackable, especially to run multiple emulators and other apps.
I don't want to build another home PC for the living room, but instead going for a pre-built machine that is still "console-ish" in appearance and ease of use.

So far I have considered two choices, the Nvidia Shield TV and the newer Atari VCS 800. They have different hardware inside, Shield TV having a Tegra X1-based board similar to a Nintendo Switch and the VCS has a AMD embedded R1606G processor with Vega 3.

They both have their own pros and cons which I'm still weighing. The VCS is more expensive but it's X86 so I can run windows or Linux with ease, and can double as a lightweight Steam machine. Shield TV uses Android and limited to its Android ecosystem but a lot cheaper and still capable to emulate up to Wii games.

Gotta add, I have no nostalgia for Atari as I never grew up playing their systems but I like the sleek and classy look of the VCS 800.