What did you do today?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I actually saw someone doing this once! it was amazing let me look this up

edit:
ok not exactaly what I had in mind but this one look sick

and this one is nice as well

That first one is almost entirely what I had imagined. The second one is ... interesting too, though I would bet it looks a lot better when installed.

Odd_Fox

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2020
I actually saw someone doing this once! it was amazing let me look this up

edit:
ok not exactaly what I had in mind but this one look sick

and this one is nice as well

I have to agree with V, that first one is NICE. My current build is lack and white, maybe I should pick one up...

Reactions: owliwar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Post-surgery idleness has been getting to me, so today I decided to ignore the certainty of muscle cramps and pain and do something rewarding. Pretty much all I've done for the past month is watch YouTube, read books, go for walks and read every single thing on the internet. It's not bad, but it sure gets boring after a while. So today I got some work done on getting my OptiplRX 570 semi-sleeper build resurrected with its new PSU, build quality tweaks and addition of front USB. Almost at the point where I'm done cutting holes in things and start installing parts instead. I finished the heatsink for the PSU (the UHP-350-12 is only rated for full output if fitted to a 30x30cm aluminium plate, so I got a relatively large finned heatsink off AliExpress and cut it to size), so now I just need to add a ton of thermal paste and make sure I can actually install it in the case. Also finished filing the USB port holes in the front bezel today, and made a new GPU support bracket from an old aluminium 3.5" to 2.5" drive adapter (this one screws onto the case, so it actually supports the GPU!). Fingers crossed that everything actually fits - clearance between the PSU and the front USB will be minimal. I'll be really annoyed if I shortened that USB 3.0 cable for nothing - that was not a fun soldering job even if I did learn a lot from it. Also really hope my bodged-together cable hooking the UHP-350-12 to the ArchDaemon actually soldered properly - I didn't have any thick gauge wire at the time, so I ended up bundling together five 18AWG wires each for ground and 12V. Certainly thick enough, but it ain't pretty, and the joint was almost certainly cold (my iron is crap and my skills barely match it). It won't see much movement or mechanical stress though. Since then I ordered and received some thicker wire, but I'm not yet fit enough to be doing soldering (sitting hunched over in a chair for extended time periods with extreme concentration around very hot tools is not an appealing idea soon after abdominal surgery), and I don't have any more XT60 connectors, so I'd have to desolder the old one. I'll put that on the "future tweaks" list. Now "all" that remains is to assemble everything (assuming it all fits, if not tweak things until they do) + stick some temporary PVC mesh in the gaping hole in the front where the ODD and front I/O used to live.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Did some Spring cleaning today and found a very old receipt. Printed on it are:-

CPU: AMD A64x2 4200 (socket 939)
MB: Asus A8N-SLI Premium
RAM: Corsair Twin 3200CL 2x1GB
GPU: Winfast PX 7800GT
FDD: Panasonic
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST3160827AS 160GB
DVD: Pioneer DVR-110
PSU: Antec TPII-550W
Case: Chieftec BX tower

Can you guess the year of this build? (plus or minus 1 year) Of course, dont use any help...just use your memory.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Did some Spring cleaning today and found a very old receipt. Printed on it are:-

Can you guess the year of this build? (plus or minus 1 year) Of course, dont use any help...just use your memory.

1998-1999?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

200...6?

mb67

Chassis Packer
Oct 25, 2017
I made my offering to the Rain Gods yesterday: I washed my car before the storm hits today to ensure that we'll get as much rain as possible. :D

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

My guess is 2005 -06, curious what the price was on the memory.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Currently packing to leave for Sweden for the coming couple of months (flight leaves in 3 ½ hours) partly in preparation for moving permanently. Packed and sent a couple of heavy boxes in the mail yesterday, including one containing my modded Optiplex ? - no way of getting all that stuff on the plane. Packed it quite thoroughly (a tight fitting cardboard box with reinforced corners, lots of padding outside this, inside a bigger box) but still nervous about it surviving. Not that it's worth much, but I've put a lot of work into it, plus spending that time without a desktop would be a problem for sure. Of course after final assembly the day before it turned out my new shorter fan splitter for the CPU and front intake fans was faulty (everything works, but I'm getting a CPU fan error on boot -likely a weak crimp due to too thin wires for my crimper) so I also packed my crimper and some basic tools to try and fix that. Having the PC not work due to shoddy crimping would feel even worse than it being broken in transit :p

Other than that, I had a follow-up with my surgeon yesterday and got (another) confirmation that I am, at least for the time being, cancer free and that I look to be healing as well as can be expected. Have had a lot less pain and discomfort over the past week too. Now it's just five years of semiannual checkups before I can say "cancer free" for sure.

Looking forward to spending some time in a slightly warmer climate than here, even if we're currently having (by far!) the warmest winter on record so it's really not the big a difference ATM. Winter in Malmö is notoriously rainy, but on the other hand spring should be rather nice. Spring here in Trondheim typically means rain and slush and about 5°C until mid-May or later.