What did you do today?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I completed the wires for this side of my Ghost. After I get a GPU, I'll do the wires for that and it'll be done. o_o

matte black everything
nice

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
I’m still gathering parts for my new build but having itchy fingers i went ahead today and replaced the stock thermal pads on the soc and the VRMs on the motherboard (Asus Crosshair VIII Impact) with the Fujipoly Extreme pads that are the best available. Hoping that they will help with better thermals.
I‘m still waiting for the case, cpu and some other bits. Build is probably a couple of weeks away.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I’m still gathering parts for my new build but having itchy fingers i went ahead today and replaced the stock thermal pads on the soc and the VRMs on the motherboard (Asus Crosshair VIII Impact) with the Fujipoly Extreme pads that are the best available. Hoping that they will help with better thermals.
I‘m still waiting for the case, cpu and some other bits. Build is probably a couple of weeks away.
What made you go for the Impact over the Strix? My understanding from various reviews is that they are essentially the same unless you are doing LN2 overclocking. At least nothing different beyond minor creature comforts (POST code display etc.), and nothing making the major price jump worth it.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
Not many differences indeed, but I went for the impact for the better thermals (possibly), better placement for the nvme drives, the optical out and the front header (although this heavily depends on the GPU real estate). Very minor differences that do indeed come at a premium, but in the bigger picture saving ~150$ on the motherboard won’t make it any less expensive (meaningfully at least).
For example spending 350$+ for the Ncase doesn’t make “sense” either.
Waiting to be flamed now ?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
about to sit for my english test in a bit ,_, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Ya got this! ?

Today at my main job was hectic. Kept myself less insane with music and some light reading. I watched the latter half of the AMD Financial Analyst 2020 event, currently having dinner, and then to work a bit for one of my other jobs. After that: Brush teeth, shower, and bed. One more day in this week for my main job.

Last edited:
Reactions: VegetableStu

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks!

Human spammers - only so much we can do to stop them. We've made some adjustments to our software that should reduce this lot - until the spammers get smarter - it's a neverending fight.

I hope I'm not counted among them! XD

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
I just got an email saying customs charges have been raised for my Ncase M1. I’m going to drop by Parcelforce later after work to pay and collect. Hope it won’t hurt too much ?

Reactions: Soul_Est

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I keep messing around with case designs based off the Power Mac G4 Cube in between work with my laser cut cases.

I'm not normally a huge fan of Apple products, but the trashcan mac pro and the cube are awesome!

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
A monstrously first world dilemma:

Ran out of mini fit terminals the other day. I can finally finish my bloody Ghost build tomorrow. It would have otherwise been a one-sitting speed build.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
I’m getting closer to gathering all parts for my AMD build. Received the CPU today and spent some time replacing the stock (rubbish) thermal pads on the motherboard with Fujipoly Extreme. Also installed an M.2 boot drive again using Fujipoly pads for it too.
Now waiting for some Noctua fans for the radiator and the case, a storage SSD, a temp sensor and some adapters.

In the mean time I need to sort out the problem of Apogee Drive II’s ports conflicting with my RAM sticks. Unfortunately I found out that can’t replace them with lower profile ones, since the pump ports are not standard G 1/4. Most probably I’ll have to trim/file them (the ports) down carefully with the dremel, only need 1-2mm.

Reactions: Soul_Est

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Finally got a bare bones config up for 2nd stage of the lab-in-a-box type environment. The hAP hooks back to the rest of the network over an nstream bridge, then the 1st pi zero hangs off that with two eth interfaces in an rstp setup (mstpd) w/ the slower eth port (over SPI on the hat) acting as the alternate for if the faster eth port (the root port over USB using a pogo pin board) goes down, it also has the onboard wifi & bluetooth hanging off it & a 2nd bluetooth 5 interface over USB but none of those have been configured yet. The 2nd pi zero is a pre-W model but has a hat on it providing wifi & bluetooth but short of enabling DHCP on the eth interface & doing basic bring up not much has been configured there yet either. One of them is going to have a Bluetooth NAP interface bolted onto it eventually but i already have a working implementation of that elsewhere on the network so its not a priority. Still keeping an eye open for other protocols that can transport IP other than Bluetooth, wifi & ethernet too but the next step will be another zero w/ a GPS hat on that outputs a PPS signal to the GPIO header w/ the intention of doing network wide PTP.