What did you do today?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Finally got a bare bones config up for 2nd stage of the lab-in-a-box type environment. The hAP hooks back to the rest of the network over an nstream bridge, then the 1st pi zero hangs off that with two eth interfaces in an rstp setup (mstpd) w/ the slower eth port (over SPI on the hat) acting as the alternate for if the faster eth port (the root port over USB using a pogo pin board) goes down, it also has the onboard wifi & bluetooth hanging off it & a 2nd bluetooth 5 interface over USB but none of those have been configured yet. The 2nd pi zero is a pre-W model but has a hat on it providing wifi & bluetooth but short of enabling DHCP on the eth interface & doing basic bring up not much has been configured there yet either. One of them is going to have a Bluetooth NAP interface bolted onto it eventually but i already have a working implementation of that elsewhere on the network so its not a priority. Still keeping an eye open for other protocols that can transport IP other than Bluetooth, wifi & ethernet too but the next step will be another zero w/ a GPS hat on that outputs a PPS signal to the GPIO header w/ the intention of doing network wide PTP.

Now this is SFF!

Reactions: Soul_Est and jØrd

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Learning Lumen framework to build API. It's been 3 years since last time I touched PHP.

Got some interesting tech business idea, but I need to build the basic front-end & back-end.

(I could have built it using NodeJs as well, which is still fresh in my memory. But because of some considerations, I resorted to Lumen / PHP).

Reactions: Soul_Est and August

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
designed a pcb for relocation the a300's rear io (usb3,usb2, rj45) to the front for my custom build.

lamenting cutting the gnd legs on my 1060's 6pin connector on Friday. the plan was to solder some 18ga wire to stop the ek thermosphere from hitting them. then 2h after that I got word we're going to 12h shifts with a 2 week on 2 week off cadence and I'm off this week and the next. worst timing possible to temporarily kill my gpu

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
designed a pcb for relocation the a300's rear io (usb3,usb2, rj45) to the front for my custom build.

lamenting cutting the gnd legs on my 1060's 6pin connector on Friday. the plan was to solder some 18ga wire to stop the ek thermosphere from hitting them. then 2h after that I got word we're going to 12h shifts with a 2 week on 2 week off cadence and I'm off this week and the next. worst timing possible to temporarily kill my gpu

Pictures of the PCB? Sorry about your GPU.

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
Pictures of the PCB? Sorry about your GPU.
Sorry for the slow reply.

I'm considering redoing it and replacing the USB ports with a vertical type c/ type a combo connection, I'm not sure if it would end up smaller but it would definitely be harder for me to mess up spacing lol

Last edited:

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
Wire came in yesterday, got flux and nicer than Walmart solder today and soldered the new wires into the GPU.
not the best joints, but they'll do. not super proud of them, honestly.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
After almost a year of SFFN sabbatical, I'm going to try to become active on the forum once more. There main reason was that I have had different priorities (trying to get a house built) and I was having (and still have) a lot of workplace stress due to responsibilities. Anyway, I'll try to become a regular once again and join in on the conversation.

For all the regulars I recognize: thank you for keeping SFF alive !

I haven't been sitting still on SFF though, although I have taken about a year on my current project: a new server/NAS combo in the Silverstone CS01-HS case. I'll try to get a topic started soon, but I need to make pictures. What's it about ?
- 8-core Ryzen 1800X (my old CPU)
- ASRock AB350-Gaming ITX board (my old ITX AM4 board)
- 2x 16GB Samsung "B-die" DDR4-2400 ECC memory
- LSI SAS9207-8i SAS HBA card (link)
- Mellanox ConnectX-3 MCX354A-FCBT dual 40GbE card (link)
- 2x 2,5" SATA SSD
- 6x 2,5" SATA HDD
- ADT Link R43MR M.2 M-key to PCIe 3.0 x4 adapter

Up until today I still don't know if it is stable long-term, as I have only tested it as a LAN-cache with the SSDs. I'm still fighting the SAS card to allow me to access the 6 HDDs.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Mmmm. Those look good. Haven’t seen any available since our lockdown started.

I also bake them in foil, but with a generous coating of horseradish cream. You should give it a try.

Nice suggestion and I like horseradish.

Today I did a long overdue cleaning of my trackball, including:
  • Exiled the dust bunnies
  • Sprayed bearings with WD40
  • Toothbrushed the enclosure
  • Dry brushed the PCB
  • Ball cleaning with micro-fiber
It looks much better and is butter smooth now.

Lakimakromedia

Caliper Novice
Mar 21, 2019
Still designing replacement for S4mini [already sold]. Spare parts mostly completed, already few versions later :D. Lately tested parts, and find out how important is vent plug, and also that 3x40mm rad has to small/restrictive in/out burbs :D

Reactions: Soul_Est and TheHig

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Spent way too much time working and staring at light emitting screens. Rebuilt my computer again. It is now mostly self-contained and very quiet compared to before.

Reactions: Phuncz