What did you do today?

mb67

Chassis Packer
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing tech related, but I just wiped my car off with the wrap detail cleaner for the first time in a long time.
Even though I wipe the car off every night after work, (we get a lot of condensation/dew build up along the coastline) it was eye opening to see how much of a film had built up over the past month or so.

NOTE

This picture is old but it represents the same situation that I saw today.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
It would be sick if B550 boards existed. -_-

Tonight I picked up a 3600 and open box Aorus B450i pro WiFi and honestly it’s not a bad board. It came Ryzen 3000 ready so no bios update needed and it took right off. The layout isn’t perfect and the rear IO is slim but the monochrome scheme looks great. Right now it’s in a gutted Hadron Air but thinking of going with a white SM550 for it. GPU is the MSI Gaming x 1660.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
It would be sick if B550 boards existed. -_-
Tonight I picked up a 3600 and open box Aorus B450i pro WiFi and honestly it’s not a bad board. It came Ryzen 3000 ready so no bios update needed and it took right off. The layout isn’t perfect and the rear IO is slim but the monochrome scheme looks great. Right now it’s in a gutted Hadron Air but thinking of going with a white SM550 for it. GPU is the MSI Gaming x 1660.
The only thing we really need from B550 is more m.2 as one slot is starting to be a real limitation. PCIe 4 compatibility for CPU-connected slots will also be nice, of course, but some more 3.0 ports off the chipset will be a bigger improvement IMO. Perhaps some more USB would be nice too, but let's focus on fully populating what's built into the CPU first before adding more to the chipset. Beyond that it's just down to board design (regardless of platform) and most B450 boards being slightly old designs by now.

Oh, and some boards with beefy SoC VRM stages for the Renoir iGPU, please.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I just sent another complaint to the store that sold me the gtx 1650 lp because its kinda stuck in transit. for f sake I got my zipcode wrong and I realized it a day after shipping, like on jan 21th. they did nothing and I am starting to get really anxious haha I wanna play my games

But I also got horizon zero down on the ps4 and I'm really enjoying it.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
New boss in office. Ex SV. Compared to the previous boss, some things are better, some things are worse.

Trying to build a sandwich 60% keyboard case. I never knew finding nuts & bolts could be so difficult LOL.

Reactions: owliwar

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
yeah i've decided to travel in public transport with a mask on ._. not taking my chances, i can't afford to be down with anything for the next two months, let alone dying ,_,

Same here. I heard infected healthy adult should survive with the right treatment, but now that I have a toddler.. can't take any risk.

I guess I'll need to wait longer for my nuts & bolts, or any China-sourced PC related stuffs in general.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Do wear a mask if you are in a crowded place or inside an elevator, even though having an infected person sneezing or coughing near you and his saliva getting onto your face is slim. Wash hand often too, before a meal and after getting home from outside.

Spread rate is not as important as fatality rate. If an virus does not cause death, no one would care at all. So, fatality rate is the key. 2003 SARS is about 10% while this novel coronavirus was about 5% at Wuhan the source city (peak figure) and is now down to 2-3%.

If you reside in the US, it is this season's B-type flu (22-33 million infected, 210-370k hospitalized, 12-30k deaths) that you should worry about. Read that this is the worst in the past 30 years.

JDP is the best way to summarize. (Just Don't Panic).

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
yeah i'm aware that it isn't as deadly as it appears to be (especially when the bulk of the bulk of deaths were of people who are pretty old or weakened to begin with). the thing could mutate down the road with that kind of infection rate, but that's something more unpredictable and less actionable than the weather ._.

so mask on and live on i guess

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Am I the only one who doesn't really get the ... hype, for lack of a better word, about the novel coronavirus outbreak? (For the record, I had the same feeling back when SARS happened.) I mean, I understand that it is a new and unknown virus with no known working treatment, and seemingly like SARS it seems to kill the young and relatively healthy to a much higher degree than other large-scale viruses. It also has a quite high mortality rate. That's all understandably worrying. My issue is scale and actual infection rate. The latest numbers I've seen (yesterday, so probably higher now) were around 35 000 infected total and about 800 dead - and that's with the outbreak originating in a major city, the disease spreading mainly in one of the most densely populated countries in the world, and with the start of the outbreak coinsiding with a major national holiday with lots of long-distance travel on packed planes and trains. Now compare this to bog-standard influenza, which the CDC estimated infected between 22 and 31 million people in the US alone (up to almost 10% of the population!) between October 1st 2019 and February 1st 2020. Yes, this is 4x the time compared to nCov-2019, but still - that's a few orders of magnitude higher, no? The estimated death toll there - again, in the US alone - is 12 000 to 30 000 people. For a country with less than 1/3 the population of China, and much less concentrated at that. I understand that this translates to a mortality rate of something like 0,0014 or (much) lower, but ... that doesn't matter much when its total death toll is 15-35 times higher, does it? I also know the current influenza season has been rather severe (partly due to the vaccine this year apparently not being especially effective), but the CDC still noted last year that 12 000 deaths was a low point in the 2012-2019 period (with peak numbers reaching 79 000).

With all this said, I would obviously be careful and take precautions if I lived in an area with a known coronavirus outbreak. And I understand that something like this does indeed look quite scary - it's a new and unknown disease that's killing people, after all. That much is obvious. But I still don't see how this warrants a global health crisis on this scale when its actual effects are so small when compared to seasonal illnesses that we take entirely for granted. I mean, there's no treatment for influenza either, just a vaccine (with varying efficacy) - beyond that hospital care essentially consists of ensuring you get enough nutrients and fluids for your immune system to keep fighting, while trying to avoid secondary infections. I might just be naively optimistic, but given reports of already dropping infection rates I have trouble thinking this will end up being anything much more dramatic than SARS was - which, in the grand scheme of things, was barely a blip. When you are announcing a global crisis for a possible pandemic and the total death toll ends up at just 774 people (according to Wikipedia), something is off. I also get that it's much, much better to be safe than sorry about these things, but the response still feels wildly disproportionate.

/rant

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
A few corrections are needed. First, the mortality rate of this novel coronavirus is currently at around 2-3% at Wuhan (the source city). This rate is much lower than that of SARS. Of course, this is just the current rate which could theoretically go higher. Second, of those died due to this virus, most are old people whose immune system is relatively weak and has some long term illness (eg heart disease, diabetes...etc).

I agree with your rant. One one hand, I think the WHO has to be ultra conservative in dealing with this kind of outbreak. On the other hand, I think the media, especially the western media, is exaggerating. Some do this deliberately. Some even release unchecked, unfounded and false 'reports'.

Basically, if you understand how ugly politics (international politics in this case) can be, you will understand the why of the ''wildly disproportionate response'' around the world.

Edit (2020-02-10): As of today, China CDC reports overall fatality rate in the country is down to 1.4%. If consider Guangdong province alone, rate is 0.88%. The earlier one gets in quarantine + diagnosed + receive treatment, the fatality rate is significantly lowered.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
imagine if the cable is wired up correctly, but the individual wires are braided randomly with each other
I've been wondering for a while why nobody is taking fancy custom sleeved cables to the next logical step, which to me would be braiding them. Could make for some extremely cool patterns with patterned colors and multiple braids in, say, a 24-pin cable or dual 8-pins. Of course this would make the cables even stiffer and more bulky than individually sleeved cables already are, but at least for a show build it could look spectacular.

I guess the obvious answer is that this would likely multiply the time needed for making cables (which is already ridiculous) by... let's be optimistic and say 4-5x? And it would of course add another layer of craft skill that I would guess very few sleevers possess. But still - aren't people growing tired of the samey-looking straight lined cables out there?

Reactions: VegetableStu

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I've been wondering for a while why nobody is taking fancy custom sleeved cables to the next logical step, which to me would be braiding them. Could make for some extremely cool patterns with patterned colors and multiple braids in, say, a 24-pin cable or dual 8-pins. Of course this would make the cables even stiffer and more bulky than individually sleeved cables already are, but at least for a show build it could look spectacular.

I guess the obvious answer is that this would likely multiply the time needed for making cables (which is already ridiculous) by... let's be optimistic and say 4-5x? And it would of course add another layer of craft skill that I would guess very few sleevers possess. But still - aren't people growing tired of the samey-looking straight lined cables out there?
I actually saw someone doing this once! it was amazing let me look this up

edit:
ok not exactaly what I had in mind but this one look sick

and this one is nice as well

Last edited: