What did you do today?

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Lmfao I've hated screw terminals ever since I built my first arcade stick (I connected everything to them on the PCB I used).

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I pondered how to make my 4g/wifi router survive power cuts - found and ordered usb to barrel jacks with step up circuitry embedded! - thinking of running them off of old powerbanks. Screw cell longevity and passthrough charging, auto switching and all that, I'll just keep the powerbank plugged to its charger!

Confirmed this works. Haven't tested for long enough blackout that the battery falls too low to power the device when the power is back on - essentially simultaneously charging and discharging use case.

Then I found a video. Apparently most of these routers can run off of 5V supply. #facepalm# will try tomorrow... I do have a normal usb to barrel jack somewhere..
Nope. Doesn't work. #fakenews people.

Reactions: Biowarejak

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Lmfao I've hated screw terminals ever since I built my first arcade stick (I connected everything to them on the PCB I used).

Can't agree more, headers are there for a reason.

Below is my arcade stick prototype, the temporary PCB I used have headers for group of buttons / stick.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Can't agree more, headers are there for a reason.
Can't say I disagree, I just couldn't be bothered making something better suited yesterday. That screw-on jack is huge, though, all things considered. But ironically there's quite a lot of free space inside the case. Seeing how the DC input on the cheapo DC-ATX board is a header, it's not unlikely I'll get a suitable plug and pins and rewire it completely at some point. If the wires off the MW PSU were twice as long I might have done that right away, but they are really short.

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I've been a busy guy, and most any case modding planned, is on the backburner until this winter. What a surprise, huh guys? Lol. I have been getting a few projects done on the Grand Cherokee, including a new hidden winch mount.

The real story however, is that we've finally started the addition on our house. I'll get an extra garage bay, but most importantly a dedicated heated and cooled shop. It's been long in the planning, and should make any projects much easier to tackle.

I guess if I've got anything computer related to add, I've finally sourced an ever elusive CRYORIG C7 G. I can't wait to see how it fares against my standard C7 once it arrives in a week or so.

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
So, I've basically had my hardware in an 'open air' setup for far too long while waiting to finish, well frankly, any work at all on OSIDIAS. With a LAN coming up in less than 2 weeks, I decided to source an inexpensive case to put the parts in for temporary use. I found an open box Cooler Master Elite 110 for a steal, and it arrived yesterday. Holy crap, despite being one of the smaller cases readily available at retail, this thing is way bigger than I anticipated. Ugh, if I had the time, I'd mod one of my old Shuttle cases to fit ITX. I know it's meant only to be temporary solution so I'll try not to overthink it. I guess that goes to show how long it's been since I've actually bought a case as opposed to built...

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Nice, I love Arcade sticks ! What parts did you use ? Sanwa ? Seimitsu ? Controller ? Custom layout or replica if an official game cabinet ?

6 button Vewlix layout with a regular JLF and standard OBSF buttons. Brook PS3/4 board, but I'll be using this on PC pretty much exclusively for Street Fighter V. 9.5" enclosure from here.

The only "weird" thing I'm using is the Phreakmods Link.

Reactions: AleksandarK

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Spent 7 hours doing yard work and gardening. Phew!

On another note...

Below lies a long spiel, and it touches on touchy subjects. Remember, you can talk to people. Your local area will have services and support when you are in need, and even your online "family" are there to support you.

I've been suffering for the past 3-4 months with a severe bout of depression. As in, seriously considering self-induced leaving this mortal plane level depression. It's sucked the life out of me, leaving me in a world of greys - work, drink, sleep, work, drink, sleep... (addiction is a whole other story for me) Meaning I was of no use to anyone outside of my family. (I kept it together enough to be a good parent to my two kids, since I'm the only real parent they have). I started sliding down this hole before Computex, and it showed in my poor content production.

It's why I haven't been active here. I just haven't had the motivation to talk outside of the SFF Workshop Discord channel. I managed to complete my first ever watercooled build inside the shadow of the black dog, but even that did not drag me away from the depths of the mental ditch.

Since my early teens, depression/ bipolar/ borderline/ anxiety disorders have been my life. I've always struggled to talk to people about it - I've never really had a close group of IRL friends, the web is where my friends lived. Sometimes, I live in a world of mania, sometimes, and more often, it's the other end of the spectrum.

One thing that the black dog kills is motivation to do anything. No content writing, no video production, hell, I spent over a week away from my desktop because I really had no energy to walk up the stairs to my office.

I'm on the way up out of the ditch, it feels, as of this week. No promises, but I'll try keep more active around here.

By the way, don't be like me, don't hesitate to talk to people if you are struggling with depression. Please.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Spent 7 hours doing yard work and gardening. Phew!

On another note...

Below lies a long spiel, and it touches on touchy subjects. Remember, you can talk to people. Your local area will have services and support when you are in need, and even your online "family" are there to support you.

I've been suffering for the past 3-4 months with a severe bout of depression. As in, seriously considering self-induced leaving this mortal plane level depression. It's sucked the life out of me, leaving me in a world of greys - work, drink, sleep, work, drink, sleep... (addiction is a whole other story for me) Meaning I was of no use to anyone outside of my family. (I kept it together enough to be a good parent to my two kids, since I'm the only real parent they have). I started sliding down this hole before Computex, and it showed in my poor content production.

It's why I haven't been active here. I just haven't had the motivation to talk outside of the SFF Workshop Discord channel. I managed to complete my first ever watercooled build inside the shadow of the black dog, but even that did not drag me away from the depths of the mental ditch.

Since my early teens, depression/ bipolar/ borderline/ anxiety disorders have been my life. I've always struggled to talk to people about it - I've never really had a close group of IRL friends, the web is where my friends lived. Sometimes, I live in a world of mania, sometimes, and more often, it's the other end of the spectrum.

One thing that the black dog kills is motivation to do anything. No content writing, no video production, hell, I spent over a week away from my desktop because I really had no energy to walk up the stairs to my office.

I'm on the way up out of the ditch, it feels, as of this week. No promises, but I'll try keep more active around here.

By the way, don't be like me, don't hesitate to talk to people if you are struggling with depression. Please.

For various reasons, I've been there too. Well mainly because of prolonged work related stress.

Same symptoms. Lost of motivation to do anything (even to game when I actually have time). For every opportunity, I can only see the negative outcomes.

Thankfully it's never permanent, and I know the things I need to do to pick myself up: trying new things, meet happy & positive people (like many of you here), enjoy time with family, or.. Take some time to live only for your self. Hard, I know, especially with family commitments. But such is life. All the best!

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I've also been in and out of a funk for most of the last year. Nothing as deep as yours seems to be, but pretty crushing apathy and lack of motivation to do much outside of my core obligations most of the time. It sucks, but it will get better. Hit me up if you need to chat etc. John.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
It's good to talk about mental health, hope things get better @confusis . I would say my mind has been up and down for the past few years. I suffer from anxiety and have intrusive thoughts which can have an impact on my life. I have been more open about it to my friends and family, but there are times when things do feel rubbish. I recently saw a good show at the Edinburgh Fringe which explores mental health in men, which I found to be very relatable. I've also found my other passion in life (Art) to be a good way of expressing how I feel.