What did you do today?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Spent 7 hours doing yard work and gardening. Phew!

On another note...

Below lies a long spiel, and it touches on touchy subjects. Remember, you can talk to people. Your local area will have services and support when you are in need, and even your online "family" are there to support you.

I've been suffering for the past 3-4 months with a severe bout of depression. As in, seriously considering self-induced leaving this mortal plane level depression. It's sucked the life out of me, leaving me in a world of greys - work, drink, sleep, work, drink, sleep... (addiction is a whole other story for me) Meaning I was of no use to anyone outside of my family. (I kept it together enough to be a good parent to my two kids, since I'm the only real parent they have). I started sliding down this hole before Computex, and it showed in my poor content production.

It's why I haven't been active here. I just haven't had the motivation to talk outside of the SFF Workshop Discord channel. I managed to complete my first ever watercooled build inside the shadow of the black dog, but even that did not drag me away from the depths of the mental ditch.

Since my early teens, depression/ bipolar/ borderline/ anxiety disorders have been my life. I've always struggled to talk to people about it - I've never really had a close group of IRL friends, the web is where my friends lived. Sometimes, I live in a world of mania, sometimes, and more often, it's the other end of the spectrum.

One thing that the black dog kills is motivation to do anything. No content writing, no video production, hell, I spent over a week away from my desktop because I really had no energy to walk up the stairs to my office.

I'm on the way up out of the ditch, it feels, as of this week. No promises, but I'll try keep more active around here.

By the way, don't be like me, don't hesitate to talk to people if you are struggling with depression. Please.

I feel sorta bad for not paying attention on SFFw. My best wishes, I hope you can pull out!

We're all supporting you!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
In fact I am in a round of burnt out myself. Been having too much recently. (Or is it depression? How you differentiate between the two?)

If you remember a few post before, I wrote about considering to migrate - So recently I tried my luck applying to this fast-growing startup in another country. They like my resume, but the next step is I have to do this HackerRank test. Doing a test when you're not in a stable state of mind is not fun.

I've been preparing myself & planned to do it like an hour ago, but suddenly felt very tired & lost. Anticlimax.

Even my new, unbuilt DZ60 RGB keyboard kit & new USB microphone fail to make me happy :/

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
Just finished painting my sm580 case. it came out...alright. I was never good at spray painting. You can't really tell from the photo but there is some blotchiness and there is also a messed up spot on the gloss black. oh well, I'm still happy with it. I also have access to a sandblaster so if it really bothers me down the road i can go fix it.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Hey all,
I've seen this posts on mental health a while ago and I wanted to share a bit about it.
I finished college last year in December and got back to where I grew up. this year was really hard for me. My anxiety hit really hard, I was looking for jobs for a few months and that was one of the major focus of my anxiety. Now I'm in a better spot and I thank that to a good doctor. I have the most supportive of families and friends, and that sure helps, but sometimes its a case for medical treatment.

I highly recommend therapy with a psychologist, I've done that for the last year and it really helped me to go through my last year of college, and this year I began treating my anxiety with a psychiatrist. my doctor seems like a good person and is really concerned that I only take medication that is really needed, and for the shortest amount of time possible, I already changed my meds six month in the treatment to something a bit lighter since I got so much better.
( there are cases and cases, but most people go between 0.5 and 2 years in treatment, while some might go longer)

In the beginning of this year I was bad, a bit paralyzed even, in the end of the first month with meds I was much lighter, the second month was a bit rough. six months in I was doing really well in the job and I was having fun again. so I can say that, this 6 months changed me a lot for the better. I'm still taking medication and that should last for a couple more months to make sure I dont go back to the state I was (that is really important! don't stop your treatment midway!), and after that I'll go back to drinking beer with my friends again haha.
(most anxiety /depression medication should not be taken with alcohol so you should expect some months without drinking. a single beer sometimes is fine tho, don't beat yourself too much)

I feel I needed to share that because, as we know its a bit of a taboo topic talking about mental health in a mainly male space, and while I agree support is important, I also think that sometimes, medical help is needed and there is no problem with that :)

Make sure to do whatever it takes to make yourself better in the long run. It will sure be worth it and you'll be able to enjoy life much better in the end.

Drink a lot of Water, try to eat well, Exercise a bit but frequently, talk to friends, build some computers.
if you cant do any of that, seek help and support, and then try again :)

(I don't know how much these kind of treatments cost where you'all live, but here it is a bit expensive. I can say that it is worth it, though )

Hope you'all have a nice week and I wish you all the best, as you all are my favorite community
Cheers

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Just did my test. Managed to work on an algorithm which worked on 80% of the test cases (the rest timed out), but in an attempt to optimize it, I ran out of time and didn't manage to revert my code back to the working one.

Sigh. I emailed the HR explaining the situation, while attaching the working code. Let's see how. Some company are OK with this, some are not. Anyway, I believe my experience & my portfolio are not to be taken lightly. Pray for me guys/girls/apache.

Anyway, what's done is done, next fun thing is to built my DZ60 :)

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I've been selling office/shop stuff online since coming back to my home country, because my parents close up our shop and we're stuck with lots of inventories that we have no room to keep.

There was this pentium laptop I've taken care of and upgraded and now trying to get rid of for weeks with no response (price has dropped 30% since)
Starting last night I suddenly got this influx of interests from facebook. Ten people within 2 hours, and more this morning.

Wondered what happened.

Now I have 2 hours to sand its speaker grill and 50 km delivery-and-back. All for 110$. Cool.

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Now that I've been actively working on finalizing the OSIDIAS design work, I'm finally to a point where I can start using my new hardware. Long story short, after moving my OS M.2 drive, windows will no longer boot. All the data seems intact when viewed from a live Linux environment. However, none of my usual recovery/repair methods seem to be able to fix the problem. I ordered a M.2 to USB adapter and will pull the data off and reinstall the OS. Just what I wanted to do just days before a LAN this weekend... Ugh.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Have to say I'm mightily impressed with the openness and honesty people are showing about some usually quite touchy subjects here. Have to see that as a sign of a healthy and supportive community (which in large part is the reason this is becoming one of my main online haunts). I've been lucky enough to avoid any significant mental illness in adulthood, but from living with a partner who has struggled with PTSD, anxiety and depression I know full well how much of a toll this can take and how harmful it can be. Getting help is crucial, and it seems a lot of you here have been brave enough to make that step - one which it has been rightfully pointed out is often much tougher for men, given the added stigma of mental illness somehow not being "manly" and other idiotic nonsense. For me it's impossible not to draw parallels between the high rates of male suicide and how men are so often taught to suppress our emotions or channel them into anger. Take care of yourself, let whatever is bothering you out, get some exercise (even a brisk walk helps - physical exercise can have dramatic effects on one's mental state), seek help - both personal and professional - and don't put everything on your own shoulders. Life generally can't be managed alone. And there's nothing wrong with that.

As for my day, I've been a bit productive with my partner out of town, tearing down our entire home office and wiring up our shared desk for power and getting some cable management hardware in there. With two desktops and a bunch of peripherals on a small desk, and my stack of consoles nearby, this gets cramped quickly. At least now I'm rid of all the extension cords. Not done cleaning up the cabling, but it's already a lot better.

The desk is now pretty much a self-contained unit, with just the single power cord coming off it. Makes pulling it out to access stuff a lot easier. And for once I have power outlets to spare, so that we don't have to go across the room to plug in laptop chargers and suchlike. Now all that remains is to do pretty much the same to the game console+PC shelf to the left of the desk...

Edit: I forgot to apologize for the blatant non-SFF-ness in the top right corner. It was the smallest off-the-shelf case that could fit a Threadripper eATX motherboard (and our budget) at the time.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Have to say I'm mightily impressed with the openness and honesty people are showing about some usually quite touchy subjects here. Have to see that as a sign of a healthy and supportive community

^ Here's a summary of why I love this place!

I think the smaller communities are, the more you get to know people, and the more you feel okay about discussing these things.
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
The desk is now pretty much a self-contained unit, with just the single power cord coming off it. Makes pulling it out to access stuff a lot easier. And for once I have power outlets to spare, so that we don't have to go across the room to plug in laptop chargers and suchlike. Now all that remains is to do pretty much the same to the game console+PC shelf to the left of the desk...
hey that's a fantastic job on this desk. is that a switch for all the power outlets? nice

today I've been playing with some hardware the company had laying around... I'm working at an inovation center here in brazil for a multinational company.. and they used to make some 3d animations for the early VR era of mobile. its rather ugly
but they had 3 pcs with each one of them having a gtx 1070 8gb. like, for what????!?
now i'm thinking on making a blender render farm server with them.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
hey that's a fantastic job on this desk. is that a switch for all the power outlets? nice
Thanks! Yeah, it is, I figured that since I was replacing all my power strips which had switches I should probably add one, so I just used a standard 16A light switch. So now I can shut off two PCs, three consoles, one printer, two monitors and a bunch of other small stuff with just one accidental press XD Only thing missing is surge protection, but that's added at the wall outlet (and not really needed given the excellent smooth power we get in Norway).

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Currently on month five for the search for new web development work. I had finished up a full-stack Ruby on Rails contract job for a smaller local company. The next job might be another remote job, but at this point I'm starting to feel the need to transition back to on-site work since you can settle into too much comfort not talking to co-workers in real life.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
For all those who are dealing with mental issues and want a virtual hug, here's one for you. I am also dealing with that and while I do not know exactly what each of you have dealt with, I know that we are all affected in some way. So, here's hug.

Today was long, tiring, stressful, and meh. Took me all day to do one project because of interrupts. Also, I won't go into specifics, but I really dislike how the director of my department is doing things atm. Still have to email the supervisor/bosses at my other jobs about certain topics.

I know what you mean with your DZ60 and USB-mic @ignsvn

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Started on my weight loss journey.. again XD

I have a very physical job, and have been struggling to lose weight. I have converted a lot of fat to muscle, in the past 3 years though! So I'm starting on meal replacement shakes.. Tasty! Sitting at 88kg (195lb for those in the colonies) (174-175cm height (or 5'9" for those reading in black and white)) so there's some ways to go. Goal weight is 80kg (175lb for those who still measure in derp) or thereabouts at this time.

Also looking into some muscle gain stuff because looking good in one's own eye helps with self esteem - and for me the beer belly and thin arms needs to change.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Followup on my hard drive issues. A bit of a mixed bag really. I was never able to formally restore the Windows install, but the M.2 to USB adapter worked beautifully, and no data was lost. I'm on a fresh and shiny new install and have the major task of reinstalling and customizing to my liking. As it turns out, I do weekly OS backups to an external drive, but with hardware changes, fresh is always best. Even if Win 10 is usually pretty tolerant to hardware swapping. So, that's all the good news there. Now for the bad. I actually did lose a drive. A little 2TB Firecuda SSHD ceased to function. No idea why, as it was kept uninstalled until everything was up and running on the new OS install. She's dead though. It will only emit steady soft buzz/clicks. Crap. 2 days to LAN. Amazon could get me a drive here Friday, but that's too late to actually install anything. Off to Best Buy I go, and get their last remaining Samsung 2TB QVO. It's basically a dedicated Steam drive for games that don't see heavy use. At this point I guess I'm fully committed to the Samsung SSD life. A pair of 860 EVO's, a 970 EVO, and now the 860 QVO...

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
So, I gotta ask. Was there a recent Win 10 update causing boot issues after restart? After resolving my main computer problem, I've just discovered that my mining computer is exhibiting the exact same thing. It normally runs without intervention, but it hung last night and I forced a restart. None of the automated repair procedures or a system roll back are working. Guess I'll have to reinstall there too. What the heck?

Reactions: AleksandarK

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Today I had to explain to my manager how the razer blade we had just died out of nowhere yesterday. they didnt really get why I was so worried about it, because they had no idea what a razer blade is.

dont buy razer notebooks if you're not in the warranty countries :)
this one died on my on a week worth of use, out of warranty (because it stayed a year in customs) and there's nothing we could do about it. I'll try removing the battery later just in case
its so expensive to fix (razer employee told me around 1200 usd) that with shipping its more expensive than buying a new one. (that I'm not going to get anytime soon)

sigh

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
(because it stayed a year in customs)
Maybe the battery died because it was not charged for a year ? Sometimes defective batteries can cause a laptop to not start up even though the power supply is plugged in. Hard to check without it being easily removable. Why didn't you choose to not accept the package after being delayed for a year ? Or was it bought second-hand ?