What did you do today?

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
Yep, rest up. I would avoid putting on social media what your doing rest wise. Not saying they will but my work tried using it against me.

Also, today I managed to rip my Ryzen CPU out from its socket while removing the heatsink. Squeaky bum time as I've not had chance to check if it powers back up yet! All the pins were straight so I would imagine its fine. But still not what you expect

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Yep, rest up. I would avoid putting on social media what your doing rest wise. Not saying they will but my work tried using it against me.

Also, today I managed to rip my Ryzen CPU out from its socket while removing the heatsink. Squeaky bum time as I've not had chance to check if it powers back up yet! All the pins were straight so I would imagine its fine. But still not what you expect
I had heard that was possible with Ryzen processors, sucks. I am so used to Intel where there is no way you could do that.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

Thanks. Don't worry, I'm not exactly a social animal, and I do closely guard my social media. Hell I don't even add friends from where I currently work. I only add (or accept their invitation) after I leave the company.

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
Sorry to hear that @step83. Need to twist back and forth to break the paste grip and then lift.

Going to see Iron Maiden tonight.???

It lives! was changing the CPU cooler, Stupid thing is I did twist, well as much as the board allowed the VRM heatsink got in the way.
Still, nice big Noctua cooler in and sat my LZ7 on its end. Slight drop in temps but the only clue its on now is the spinning fan on top.

Thanks. Don't worry, I'm not exactly a social animal, and I do closely guard my social media. Hell I don't even add friends from where I currently work. I only add (or accept their invitation) after I leave the company.

Yeah I have started to drift away from it, like you not many people and no one from work. Less hassle!

Reactions: ignsvn and TheHig

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Stressed at work, taking a leave because I need to recover physically & mentally. Sigh.
Glad to hear you're able to take some time off - rest and restitution is crucial in situations like this. Take care of yourself!

I haven't done that on a Ryzen chip, but on other PGA CPUs previously, and they've been fine. As long as the socket still clamps tightly and the pins are all undamaged there should be no reason for any damage. At least you know you had very good mating between your IHS and heatsink!

As for my day, I was back at work for the first time in a while to pack up my stuff to move offices (finally enough offices have shuffled around that I get to be in the same building as the rest of my department!) and have a meeting with my boss, essentially to inform him I'll be on sick leave for the foreseeable future. I'll put the rest of this in a spoiler tag, some people might find this a bit TMI (not gross, just ... not fun). Also, I guess I kind of need to scream into the sky/at anonymous people on the internet - read on at your own peril.
The reason for my sick leave is that a month ago I was hospitalized with severe bleeding a few days after starting my summer holiday (yay!), and have been diagnosed with colonic cancer. Really not something I was expecting at age 31. Luckily there's no spread (that an MRI or CT scan are able to pick up, at least), so my prognosis is quite good, but I still have to go through months of treatment - chemoradiotherapy for five weeks starting Monday, then eight to twelve weeks waiting before surgery to let the radiation do its work. I should be out of surgery by Christmas, if all goes according to plan. After that, the best case scenario is five years of biannual screenings to check for any sign of new tumors.

At this point I'm just extremely happy to live in a country where I can rely on free, excellent healthcare - even though the five weeks since first discovering the tumor have been quite hellish, I can't fault the doctors and nurses for doing a thorough and professional job - and can have all the (fully paid) time off that I need to recover, with no pressure whatsoever from my employer. Still, this is a pretty messed up situation to be in, particularly as I was planning to move to Sweden with my wife this fall due to her starting a new job. Instead we're having to figure out some sort of commute/work from home situation. At least she's an academic like me, which means flexible work schedules and locations. Still, while I don't think there's such a thing as a good time to get cancer, this could pretty much not have been worse. We were literally going to be moving the day after tomorrow.

Still, I'm in good hands (the hospital in my city is among the best in the country, and I literally live 5 minutes away by bus), and overall I'm still in good shape with no real symptoms (just an FYI, if you have colonic cancer and have symptoms beyond bleeding, that's bad). I expect the chemo and radiation to take a hit, but the chemo is a mild (pill) variant, not the IV stuff that makes you throw up, and the radiation should mostly only have minor side effects (skin damage similar to sunburn, lack of energy). I should be able to live a semi-normal life for the most of this, even if I'll likely feel like crap for a lot of it.
At least I'll have a lot of time to spend on the forums and obsess over hardware in the coming months. Plenty of time to finish my (finally in motion!) HTPC build too. Ordered a Lazer3D HT5 a few days back, as well as a couple of MeanWell AC-DC units and two of Guryhwa's Arch Daemon DC-ATX units. Gotta keep busy.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Glad to hear you're able to take some time off - rest and restitution is crucial in situations like this. Take care of yourself!

I haven't done that on a Ryzen chip, but on other PGA CPUs previously, and they've been fine. As long as the socket still clamps tightly and the pins are all undamaged there should be no reason for any damage. At least you know you had very good mating between your IHS and heatsink!

As for my day, I was back at work for the first time in a while to pack up my stuff to move offices (finally enough offices have shuffled around that I get to be in the same building as the rest of my department!) and have a meeting with my boss, essentially to inform him I'll be on sick leave for the foreseeable future. I'll put the rest of this in a spoiler tag, some people might find this a bit TMI (not gross, just ... not fun). Also, I guess I kind of need to scream into the sky/at anonymous people on the internet - read on at your own peril.
The reason for my sick leave is that a month ago I was hospitalized with severe bleeding a few days after starting my summer holiday (yay!), and have been diagnosed with colonic cancer. Really not something I was expecting at age 31. Luckily there's no spread (that an MRI or CT scan are able to pick up, at least), so my prognosis is quite good, but I still have to go through months of treatment - chemoradiotherapy for five weeks starting Monday, then eight to twelve weeks waiting before surgery to let the radiation do its work. I should be out of surgery by Christmas, if all goes according to plan. After that, the best case scenario is five years of biannual screenings to check for any sign of new tumors.

At this point I'm just extremely happy to live in a country where I can rely on free, excellent healthcare - even though the five weeks since first discovering the tumor have been quite hellish, I can't fault the doctors and nurses for doing a thorough and professional job - and can have all the (fully paid) time off that I need to recover, with no pressure whatsoever from my employer. Still, this is a pretty messed up situation to be in, particularly as I was planning to move to Sweden with my wife this fall due to her starting a new job. Instead we're having to figure out some sort of commute/work from home situation. At least she's an academic like me, which means flexible work schedules and locations. Still, while I don't think there's such a thing as a good time to get cancer, this could pretty much not have been worse. We were literally going to be moving the day after tomorrow.

Still, I'm in good hands (the hospital in my city is among the best in the country, and I literally live 5 minutes away by bus), and overall I'm still in good shape with no real symptoms (just an FYI, if you have colonic cancer and have symptoms beyond bleeding, that's bad). I expect the chemo and radiation to take a hit, but the chemo is a mild (pill) variant, not the IV stuff that makes you throw up, and the radiation should mostly only have minor side effects (skin damage similar to sunburn, lack of energy). I should be able to live a semi-normal life for the most of this, even if I'll likely feel like crap for a lot of it.
At least I'll have a lot of time to spend on the forums and obsess over hardware in the coming months. Plenty of time to finish my (finally in motion!) HTPC build too. Ordered a Lazer3D HT5 a few days back, as well as a couple of MeanWell AC-DC units and two of Guryhwa's Arch Daemon DC-ATX units. Gotta keep busy.

Believe me, I totally understand the situation you're in. You need a good rest as well, as the treatment will be quite exhausting.

Do eat balanced diet, take antioxidant, like brocolli and most red/blue berries. And I think this is very important: be happy. Build as many SFF system as you want.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Believe me, I totally understand the situation you're in. You need a good rest as well, as the treatment will be quite exhausting.

Do eat balanced diet, take antioxidant, like brocolli and most red/blue berries. And I think this is very important: be happy. Build as many SFF system as you want.
Thanks :) For now I'm focusing on staying positive, exercising as much as I can until the treatment prevents me from doing so, eating healthy as you say, and finding rewarding distractions. I think I'm pretty lucky that I'm generally a positive/optimistic person and generally don't get stuck on bad stuff for long periods of time, and so far I've been doing okay all things considered even if the diagnostic period has been extremely tough. But it still sucks when my brain suddenly wants to remind me that "Hey, in case you forgot, you have a potentially deadly disease!" At least I have a long backlog of games I can work on getting through now - started playing Divinity: Original Sin recently, and man, I've missed playing a proper old-school RPG like that. Excellent game.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Got a package from Mouser the other day with a bunch of MeanWell 12V PSUs: an UHP-350-12 for my GPU'ed-up Optiplex SFF, an RPS-200-12-C for my upcoming Lazer3D HT5 build, and two APV-35-12 (originally LED drivers) for more esoteric uses. Sent the former on to my brother to have him test adding filter caps to the outputs to reduce ripple. Put one of the latter units to use today, nearly finishing my brickless PFSense learning/play box. Case is a Chieftec IX-01B, motherboard is something I can't remember with a Celeron J1900 that I originally picked up as a test ITX board for case design. Pulls ~21W from the wall using this brick, which is well within its capabilities. Had to mod the case a bit to make it all fit, but I've now got a brickless, entirely fanless little ITX box. Just need to dremel out a hole for the C8 connector. And get some wifi antennas mounted into the front of the case, as the crap quality ones I got from Ebay a while back refuse to mount to the connectors on my WiFi card.

First stuck the PSU to the top cover using double-sided tape, then drilled out holes and screwed it in with some m3 screws and nuts.

Decided that I didn't feel like rewiring the DC input for the DC-ATX board, so I just terminated the MW PSU with a screw-on 5.5mm jack.

I'll probably post some outside pics once I get the C8 in place.