What did you do today?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
AKON happened over the weekend. That was fun but the venue was meh. Started looking at building a Quadruped robot since my friend showed me a robot planter thing. Today has been mostly taking notes on the components I'd be using.

On the SFF side, ugh. I lost my Radian files. At least it was simple enough for me to start over.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Ended another week of work at one of my jobs. Playing Iconoclasts on my Switch and Pokemon Glazed on my Pocket-Go when I can to keep my mind active.

Listening to the soundtrack to Iconoclasts right now. Currently on Family (Settlement 17) and it really like typing to this beat.

Reactions: AleksandarK

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
got my rig running ninja quiet. Shoehorned a pair of 140mm fans into an LZ7 by binning off the GPU.

CPU fan 600/700~ rpm
System fans 650/700~rpm

CPU idle 45c
chipset 46c
"system" where ever that is 36c

PSU fans not moving probably because the 600W PSU is so under loaded now (215W or there abouts)

Next up load tests, should be amusing.

Debating going down the HDPLEX route, 400W incase I fit a graphics card in the future.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Spent the last night fidling with my pc. my ssd performance was a bit weird, coppying a folder with work files was taking unreasonably long.
I got like, several 1GB photoshop files and sustained transfer speed was down to 10mb/s or lower sometimes.
turns out my ssd is just suposed to be like that which is a bummer. I mean, generally faster than an HDD for most stuff but inconsistent.
that is the main sandisk ultra 480gb I got this year, my older 120 kingston has much better 4k rand performance. just wanted to share, cheap ssd are cheap for reasons lol

I almost formated my drives but i'm not sure that would help honestly. anyway, feels nice having some time to do anything on my pc.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Spent the last night fidling with my pc. my ssd performance was a bit weird, coppying a folder with work files was taking unreasonably long.
I got like, several 1GB photoshop files and sustained transfer speed was down to 10mb/s or lower sometimes.
turns out my ssd is just suposed to be like that which is a bummer. I mean, generally faster than an HDD for most stuff but inconsistent.
that is the main sandisk ultra 480gb I got this year, my older 120 kingston has much better 4k rand performance. just wanted to share, cheap ssd are cheap for reasons lol

I almost formated my drives but i'm not sure that would help honestly. anyway, feels nice having some time to do anything on my pc.
Is it a cacheless drive? Those can really bog down under sustained loads. Still, I know Extreme Pro is SanDisk's premium line, but I wouldn't expect Ultra to be slow...

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Is it a cacheless drive? Those can really bog down under sustained loads. Still, I know Extreme Pro is SanDisk's premium line, but I wouldn't expect Ultra to be slow...
I think it might be it. do we have an storage thread here? I'll post my crystal mark results later today. maybe i'm reading to much into it

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
After spending over a week laying a base of slabs I managed to construct a 6ft X 10ft on my own. Not easy when your dealing with long lengths of aluminium that flop around all the time. Its up an anchored.
Id say drilling the slabs was the most worrying part, not wanting to crack them. Just need to wait for it to cool down to glaze the thing now then tighten down the anchor bolts.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I bought a new pair of shoes to replace my 2 years old El Naturalista's.

Got a 50% rebate on a pair of Timberland. Hope they'll last me as long as my previous shoes....

I also fixed a long time issue with the missus's dad desk chair. Was pretty annoyed by the awkward feeling of this chair and decided to put it upside down. Noticed the "Front →" message punched on the foot pointing backward .... That explains everything.

Note for later: teach my dad-in-law to RTFM :D

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
- Getting one tooth extracted. Not my first time, and not exactly painful, but it's not something I want to experience often.

- Considering to migrate somewhere.. Australia perhaps?

- Trying to get a reasonably good microphone for 100 USD max. Any suggestion? I'd like to have USB type C on the mic side, and a stand alone mute button. Multi pattern listening is a bonus.

Last edited:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Been sick since last night, so confined in my bed mostly, just out for grubs, meds and showers.

Can't really sleep through the day though, so I pondered how to make my 4g/wifi router survive power cuts - found and ordered usb to barrel jacks with step up circuitry embedded! - thinking of running them off of old powerbanks. Screw cell longevity and passthrough charging, auto switching and all that, I'll just keep the powerbank plugged to its charger!

Will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Then I found a video. Apparently most of these routers can run off of 5V supply. #facepalm# will try tomorrow... I do have a normal usb to barrel jack somewhere..

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Been sick since last night, so confined in my bed mostly, just out for grubs, meds and showers.

Can't really sleep through the day though, so I pondered how to make my 4g/wifi router survive power cuts - found and ordered usb to barrel jacks with step up circuitry embedded! - thinking of running them off of old powerbanks. Screw cell longevity and passthrough charging, auto switching and all that, I'll just keep the powerbank plugged to its charger!

Will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Then I found a video. Apparently most of these routers can run off of 5V supply. #facepalm# will try tomorrow... I do have a normal usb to barrel jack somewhere..

Which USB port are you going to use & what is the maximum power that port can provide?

USB 2.0 spec says that it can only supply 5.0V at 500 mA.
USB 3.0 spec says that it can only supply 5.0V at 900 mA (but this is the original spec. Further reading shows they can provide up to 2000 mA. But not sure if this requires specifically USB 3.0 to barrel adapter - so far I've only seen USB 2.0 to barrel)

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
It's usb ports of a powerbank, rated up to 2A. My router is 12V/0.6A, and I believe it doesn't really guzzle more than 5W so even a 5V/1A port would work.

The 'special' usb to barrell jack adaptor cable ups the usb 5V to 12V.