What did you do today?

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Hate to break it to you but the single stick of RAM will limit its performance. Lenovo got blasted for doing that in their APU-powered Y-series systems in the past. Sad to see them continuing the trend.
Well, RIP. :p

I guess I'll have to pick up the smallest size DDR4 SODIMM that I can get on eBay and shove that in, unless there was more stock of the 4+4 GB model when my dad ordered, and, looking at the "ships in 4-8 days" on the single 8GB model, decided to go YOLO and order the 4+4 model. Hopefully that wasn't confusing...

lol or... I could "borrow" some RAM from my dad's laptop.... He has 12GB in 8+4 configuration... I bet he wouldn't mind me taking the 8GB stick...

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Well, today was a roller coaster of emotions... I woke up early to get to the hospital for blood testing, which was somewhat traumatizing considering that I'm scared of needles :p. Had a delicious breakfast and walked around a bookstore for a while, then slept until I was supposed to go swimming. Unfortunately, the swimming pool on the university's new campus was really an annoyance to my younger cousin, because he apparently can't swim at all alone if he's under 15 :p. Then, I came home, opened the package with my new Xperia X screen, and then had the touchscreen still not function on my :p. I guess my phone is permanently broken now :(. On the other hand, does anyone know of any way I could repair my phone in the U.S.? UBreakIFix doesn't have the Xperia X on their repair list, and as far as I can tell, Sony doesn't offer repairs either. Or, in the off chance that one of you has an Xperia X motherboard, well.... I would be more than willing to accept it :D

EDIT: Could someone find an Xperia X motherboard on Taobao/Amazon/eBay/anywhere? I think I might need that replaced...

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
One of those days at work where what you're working on either doesn't work out or fills you with apathy. Missed out on a part I was hoping to acquire for around MSRP too. Still adjusting the list for the build as things change. Now onto the positive: AMD is hosting an Gaming Garage at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto, Canada on August 24th - 26th, 10am to 10pm EST. (https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/cne-garage) Tickets are $19.99 CAD/day each. I'm thinking of going to it.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Wrapped up a busy week at work with a couple hours at the public pool with the family. Got an email from the boss late afternoon basically saying "We'll be all hands bidding a big job starting Monday." No rest for the wicked, apparently...

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I'm back stateside! Things have been kinda hectic these few days, so I will recount it as best I can.

On Thursday, I go to the airport to get on the plane, and everything's fine until the plane gets delayed 9 hours from the original time and we're whisked off to a hotel. Then, I got about two hours of sleep in the hotel until it was time to wake up and get back to the airport. Then, after boarding the plane, I had a small migraine filling in the customs declaration and went to sleep for 8 hours. Afterwards, I watched Inception (yes, I know, I'm very late to the party), some Big Bang Theory/Young Sheldon, and a part of the first episode of Big Little Lies. The problem with the Hainan Airlines in-flight entertainment system is not that it doesn't have features, but that a lot of them don't work, such as the reading light or the game controls. After going through customs, I met up with my dad and tried to get an 8:30 AM flight to Denver, only to have it full. So, we were supposed to wait until 3 in the afternoon :p. Thankfully, time passed rather quickly, and I had two meals at LAX: Earl of Sandwich (OK) and Skewer (really kinda meh Japanese food). Afterwards, we boarded the Spirit flight to Denver, which involved a stop in Las Vegas, which went OK (someone did puke in the corridor to the plane, and I lost my appetite :p), and after a decent amount of time, I'm here! Yaaay! Tomorrow is my YouTube binge to catch up on everything I've missed!

@Soul_Est
My dad apparently ordered the 12GB RAM option of my E485! Yaaay! Unfortunately, (I have no idea why), the laptop won't ship until the end of the month (>-<).

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Double date! Had a great time, actually. On a different note I've been commuting with my moped, loving the ride but acceleration is sluggish.

I'm sure I can tune the carburator to fix that, but could maybe be the transmission. Anyhoo, my S4 sprung a couple leaks after running passively for awhile. Probably shouldn't have done that :p I'll fix it too.

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
How will I ever get anything done in the coming year ?!

First off you start by playing DOOM, but eventually you get tired of the singleplayer and decide you wanna build with friends, so you start playing Fallout 76, when you're looting, a friend decides to take what you want and not share, that is when you go full on RAGE, and the rest is a table flipped over... because you accidentally hit an LFF case on it

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
First off you start by playing DOOM, but eventually you get tired of the singleplayer and decide you wanna build with friends, so you start playing Fallout 76, when you're looting a friend decides to take what you want and not share, that is when you go full on RAGE, and the rest is a table flipped over... because you accidentally hit an LFF case on it
"accidentally" ;)

Today I slept in till 10:30! Where is my discipline? Left on a Chengdu Shuangliu Airport waiting bench (30 minute naps spaced 40 minutes apart)! Had some breakfast, read some 1984, watched some YouTube, read up on all the Big Bang Theory plot summaries on Wikipedia, went shopping with my dad, checked out Of Mice and Men, ate some lunch, read some more 1984, and after a bit of barbecue with my dad, I'm here :D. My ThinkPad still hasn't shipped after 8 days from the order date, and I'm getting really really impatient. Is having the ability to play Overwatch before school starts a large request? Please Lenovo? first world problems, my friend; first world problems.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Had brunch with an old family friend of the Mrs. Anyone know why brunch is just a late REALLY expensive breakfast?! The food was terrific so worth it. Had a spinach ,tomato and feta omelet with a side of red potatoes and toast. Loads of coffee because I stay up way too late reading this site...XD

Also built a bookshelf for my daughter and did a ton of housework and finally just rebuilt my CerbX for what I think is the last time. For a while anyway right?

Cheers all

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Helped a friend with their computer, did some chores, and ran pacaur -Syu on my computer.

FreeCAD failed to install thanks to dependency issues. Fixed dependency issues and beyond three hours for it to finish building and installing. I need to get that Ryzen 7 2700X soon. FreeCAD, from what little I saw before putting the computer to sleep for the night, looks good with some added functionality here and there. I still have a messed up configuration that prevents the default workbench from loading. I continue to have FreeCAD start with the Part Design workbench.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
A kinda off-topic question: what in the world does Fryzen mean? Very very hot Ryzen???

A.wypt

Chassis Packer
Jan 17, 2018

Bought 1 pen, arrived in a huge packet...

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

Bought 1 pen, arrived in a huge packet...
Enjoy it, I have had two Fisher pens for about 5 or 6 years and enjoy it daily. No more skipping on surfaces you touched, no more inconsistent ink release.
The only issue I've had with these is that once every X months it collects more than normal amounts of ink on the ball, that may be a seasonal thing, I still haven't figured it out.