What did you do today?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That's excellent! Looking forward to it. 3D Hubs got a lot of flak from the shops that they worked with for how they handle orders. There was a thread in the 3D printing subreddit about it and a few viable alternatives that could be used instead.

I think 3D Hubs was being criticized with how apparently random the selection of printing facilities was handled, after giving up the ability of customers to choose their facility. I think this could be a bigger problem for people that live in remote areas, but for those such as myself that live in a large city, options are more plentiful and shipping times are reasonable.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I think 3D Hubs was being criticized with how apparently random the selection of printing facilities was handled, after giving up the ability of customers to choose their facility. I think this could be a bigger problem for people that live in remote areas, but for those such as myself that live in a large city, options are more plentiful and shipping times are reasonable.
Customer choice is a big part of the issue for the 'Hubs'. The other part is how they did not fully communicate or work with the 'Hubs' (in urban or rural areas) on the changes that were made. It all comes down to the lack of transparency and respect which was the big issue. The comments in these two threads have proved enlightening: https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/74a4po/3d_hubs_is_alive_and_well/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/74gcra/3dhubs_express_checkout_faq_by_cofounder/ I do hope that 3D Hubs does turn things around as they do provide a necessary service and were my first look into one of the many futures that 3D printing could enable.

Just having something to eat while I start planning out the software side of my next build. It will most likely be Arch Linux + LightDM (?) + i3 (or Sway) + Kodi + Steam, GOG, & Itch.io. Work today will be interesting as my To-Do list meets my co-worker's Wishlist.

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I had a really great day today :D
Part of my extended family (including me) decided to go to Emei Mountain (峨眉山). For lunch, we had to wait a hella long time for our food, but it was really worth it. Had some 水煮肉片(water boiled pork slices), 干锅鸡(chicken with potatoes and excessive frying, I think???), and this really really good mushroom soup (had 3 bowls of it :)), along with a some 土豆丝(potato shreds). Got to the hotel (a really good one) and slept for a while, then went to a nearby school(西南交大) and swam my first length over 1000 meters in about two weeks, then had dinner and ate fish, chicken, and beef. Dinner was only OK. Went walking around a reservoir and now I'm here :)

Oh yeah, I also saw a Volvo Polestar in person :D (this is probably for the car spotter thread, but I don't have pics :p. It was too dark.)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
still juggling disk space ,_, I let my PC run overnight to transcode the footage for Project Long Game to something smaller in HEVC

did the monster 50GB of large resolution footage first. took 28h 26 minutes to free up almost half the space ,_,

another 30-something and 40-something GB payloads to go ,_, after then i can move over my steam library without write-killing my SSD

,_,

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Repurposed my old Gigabyte Brix 4570R unit into my kids' first proper PC. Eventually plan to Hackintosh it since OSX seems to be what they use in school.

@GuilleAcoustic Can't imagine how stressful that must be to have your daughter in the hospital like that. Hopefully nothing serious is afoot and she makes a speedy recovery.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Today was a glamorous day for me. First, I woke up to a great breakfast at the hotel we were staying that (Fried rice and cake for breakfast :p). My gears got ground when I realized their orange juice was heated, one of my least favorite things about China. Next, my uncle, my mom, my aunt, and my cousin (along with me of course) got into the car and headed to a great outdoor market with large vats (I think?) of wine that were not at all SFF (as in I, a 5-foot-6 person, could crouch inside them), really tasty smells from baked/fried goods all around, carrots the size of a soda bottle (not organic probably :p), and the best tomatoes ever. Next, we went to get wontons 抄手 at another place because why not, and then traveled to Foshan (佛山), where we bought really good rice/egg/peanut candy and had a lunch of beef essentially (翘脚牛肉), and then we piled on the car to get back to Chengdu. Then, I received news that my dad (who's still stateside) ordered my ThinkPad E485 for my :D Now I'm happily situated to go to sleep :)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Then, I received news that my dad (who's still stateside) ordered my ThinkPad E485 for my :D Now I'm happily situated to go to sleep :)
Sweet! Enjoy the new 'puter! #RavenHype

Today was my second day at my 2nd job this weekend finishing what past-me could not finish yesterday (thanks, Windows 10). Gave myself a headache due to overwork/stressing. Rested up at home and then I bought some items that I'll need for projects that I'm working on. Currently on eBay and Kijiji looking for computer parts.

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Sweet! Enjoy the new 'puter! #RavenHype

Today was my second day at my 2nd job this weekend finishing what past-me could not finish yesterday (thanks, Windows 10). Gave myself a headache due to overwork/stressing. Rested up at home and then I bought some items that I'll need for projects that I'm working on. Currently on eBay and Kijiji looking for computer parts.
*squawk* *squawk* ;)

Woke up today to a rip-roaring start (9:30 in the morning :p). My grandparents had still not eaten breakfast, so I got home more with more than enough time to spare. Then, spent the rest of the morning clearing out my grandparents' apartment (really, there's things there I want to instantly forget...). Had a bit of lunch, took a nap (ikr?), went for a swim (20 Chinese "rupees"[everything that's valued less than a U.S. dollar is a rupee to me ;)] for a ticket in? Really?) that was kinda short (1400 meters :p I was feeling a bit tired today, as you can probably tell), bought some watermelon, tried a Chinese bikeshare for the first time (yaay!) and went for a joyride afterwards, got home, took a shower, ate some dinner, and now I'm here!

My birthday is this week (I won't tell you what day or what age I'm turning, because I'm a paranoid psychopath person who cares about privacy (lmao I almpost typed pribacy instead), so insert some airhorn noises here and instantly forget :D

Soul_Est, my thoughts go out to you and Windows 10. My "laptop" (victim to L2D) at home was bluescreening constantly with the boot device error before I left, and Windows suuuucks on that thing if I'm even doing Inkscape :p. Might as well install elementary Linux and forget about it ;)

I'm shopping for an USB to full-size SD adapter (it's 7 dollars cheaper on TaoBao than Amazon! 7 dollars U.S :D) because my E485 doesn't come with a f****** full-sized SD card slot even though it has the space on the side for it :p. Manufacturers these days.

Hopefully I didn't go full-on ramblemonster and use too many parentheses (it's a problem that I *almost*[as in always{including in essays}]) have...

What? What're you looking at me for?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Sorry for the lack of update, but there's no network where my wife's parents live.

Stuff turned out well for my daughter. Pain finally disappeared and blood + urine analysis showed no infection. Symptoms were of a pyelonephritis, so this is a relief that she's fine now.

Thanks all for the support you showed.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Sorry for the lack of update, but there's no network where my wife's parents live.

Stuff turned out well for my daughter. Pain finally disappeared and blood + urine analysis showed no infection. Symptoms were of a pyelonephritis, so this is a relief that she's fine now.

Glad to here she's okay!

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016

Glad she's doing better. Wish you and yours well.