What did you do today?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Brake line is netalled and tucked well away. Just need to refill and bleed the assembly, which is proving a pain.
You'll be back on the road in no time!

Today was quiet. A flash downpour was the highlight of the day and had me smiling and laughing. Did try to get some RAM that I wanted from eBay. Was not successful and will try again another day.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
It's airhorn time! I've decided to cave and my birthday is today! I won't mention my age though, since then you would be able to use that to your advantage (not that I think you good guys would) :p. This snippet of text will be taken down in roughly 24 hours by yours truly so that I can preserve privacy!

I woke up today really late (9:45!!! 15 minutes late!) and had a kinda good breakfast, then waited a while for the rain to stop, then went with my mom to the Chengdu Science/Technology Museum (I think)???. Unfortunately, that required reservations, so we went to the Chengdu history museum. That had a really long line and I only had two hours for activities, so we walked to KuanZhaiXiangZi. There I had some Guo Kui (essentially pita-like bread things) with meat and veggies inside, and some fried round rice balls, then old-fashioned popsicles, then some really bad and really expensive (tourist trap) cold noodles, and then some more popsicles. I then met up with my cousin to watch a Chinese comedy at the movie theater about a little-league soccer goalie who gains the access to a 3 trillion dollar fortune left by his grandfather's brother, but he needs to spend a separate 1 billion dollars in 30 days to gain the money. I won't spoil the rest of the plot, but let's just say there were some ridiculous moments. Then, we went to an arcade (which was fun), I messed around with some shooting games (Gunblade was one of them), and then a lot of Initial D games (I suck at driving on simulators), and then we went to get cake. The large cakes needed to be pre-ordered, so we picked up 5 small slices. I then had dinner with my aunt's family (minus my uncle), my other uncle, my grandparents, and my mom at a restaurant. There was a good fish, potato shreds, two soups, long-life noodles (why not), steamed corn pastries, a ton of types of meat, and rice :D. There was also the cake (why not), with rose, matcha, tiramisu, and mousse (I think?) varieties on offer. I was dog-tired afterwards, and with much difficulty, I made my way to my uncle's apartment, where I am now. Yaaay!

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
^Solid advice for sure.

Cute pupper @FoskcoRS5 !

I’m off this week and getting a ton done around the house and hanging with the kids since school is starting soon.

This AM a buddy at work sent me a text saying that it is basically shit show there today. Good week to be off!

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Since @FoskcoRS5 has quoted your post in its entirety, @el01, you now know that editing your original post will not necessarily allow you to preserve your privacy. On the Internet, there is no forgetting. Say only those things you would have shown to the public.
After mulling it over for a while...
No regerts! Besides, there is some magicking I can do on here... (hint: Location)

Also, you don't know my age, so what use is a date to you :D jajajaja. (I mean, you also don't know my real name and where I actually live [not the vague approximation on my profile page], nor much else of my personal information :D)

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
art, fart, and got 3 sata SSDs to start

write latency on the WSS volume is pretty high, LOL. definitely an archival thing

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Today I watched more Buildzoid and daydreamed thought about my soon-to-arrive ThinkPad :D

Other than that, had a ton of food (Chinese fruit roll-ups [the traditional version]), chips, popsicles, etc. My grandma went overboard with buying snacks, and my cousins can't eat it all, so I had to help :p. I will never touch those fruit roll-ups with a ten-foot pole, no matter how much you pay me, within a month from now.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Today I watched more Buildzoid and daydreamed thought about my soon-to-arrive ThinkPad :D

Other than that, had a ton of food (Chinese fruit roll-ups [the traditional version]), chips, popsicles, etc. My grandma went overboard with buying snacks, and my cousins can't eat it all, so I had to help :p. I will never touch those fruit roll-ups with a ten-foot pole, no matter how much you pay me, within a month from now.

What thinkpad is it? I want a maxed out P51!

Reactions: Biowarejak

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
What thinkpad is it? I want a maxed out P51!
I wish... I don't really need that much performance, nor do I have the money to buy it myself (my dad and I decided to pool money for this machine, since I need to become self-sufficient :p).

It's an E485 with the 1080p display and 8GB of RAM. Frankly, I'm concerned with its ability to run Overwatch at 1080p low-med settings (despite the Vega 8, the CPU is worse than desktop Ryzen), its battery life (due to DDR4 and the Vega 8), the lack of an SD card reader (I have to carry around a dongle now :p), and build quality, since I've heard bad things about E-series ThinkPads. It looks and feels (I have tried it in a Chinese computer store) quite good, though, so I'm not that concerned about build quality. Also, not sure if the single-stick RAM will result in less performance than a dual-channel setup, especially since it totally kinda does on desktop Ryzen APUs and such.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I wish... I don't really need that much performance, nor do I have the money to buy it myself (my dad and I decided to pool money for this machine, since I need to become self-sufficient :p).

It's an E485 with the 1080p display and 8GB of RAM. Frankly, I'm concerned with its ability to run Overwatch at 1080p low-med settings (despite the Vega 8, the CPU is worse than desktop Ryzen), its battery life (due to DDR4 and the Vega 8), the lack of an SD card reader (I have to carry around a dongle now :p), and build quality, since I've heard bad things about E-series ThinkPads. It looks and feels (I have tried it in a Chinese computer store) quite good, though, so I'm not that concerned about build quality. Also, not sure if the single-stick RAM will result in less performance than a dual-channel setup, especially since it totally kinda does on desktop Ryzen APUs and such.
Hate to break it to you but the single stick of RAM will limit its performance. Lenovo got blasted for doing that in their APU-powered Y-series systems in the past. Sad to see them continuing the trend.

Reactions: AleksandarK