What did you do today?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
You sure have had a very productive day there. Well done and thank you for keeping us in the loop.
Thanks, of course :) Notably today I took a test for Texas History (interesting subject but requires memorization - so many names!) and further refined the motherboard tray for Radian. Looking to mount the DC-ATX perpendicular to the tray and getting that bent out of 5 mm thick material just looks wrong. I'll adjust the radius to be realistic and see how much that helps.

- Edit -

Edit, yeah, no, that bend is gonna have to come from a separate piece.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Did you borrow a pallet from your workplace ? :D

I'd sticker-bomb it:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Today I ordered an old server motherboard, because it was cheaper and easier to get than the specific Amphenol card edge connector I need for my boombox project. To dilute the shipping costs, I also ordered some enterprise used hard disks and RAM for our lab at work. I love rummaging through old server parts, I love that bell curve on those prices.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Did you borrow a pallet from your workplace ? :D

I'd sticker-bomb it:

Thats it! I'm sticker bombing the Mazda since is waaaay cheaper than the midlife crisis convertibles and classic cars I have been suddenly drawn to. . I do like a good bargain and one can get buckets of those stickers on Ebay with the change found between the couch cushions.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
So Win10 asked to install the Fall Creator Update last Friday afternoon on my work PC. I said, OK, do it at the end of the day. I shut down on my way out of the office and it started the update process. I roll into work this morning and due to a big thunderstorm Sunday night, a portion of our internal LAN got knocked out that included my PC. When I booted up first thing, the update kept processing. Possibly due to lack of internet connectivity during this process, my primary monitor got "lost" by Windows and it installed a "generic" display driver for my Quadro K1200 (which defaulted to my secondary monitor - probably just which port it is plugged into).

Once internet was restored, I went into device manager and updated the driver and rebooted, which seemed to do the trick. A less-savvy user might have had more frustration / confusion.

So, just a PSA that the Fall Update likely needs an internet connection during the update -OR- installing the update may bork your display settings anyway.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
A lot of internet outage in my part of the country yesterday, really slowed down things at work and the worst part is we bill by the hour :( Today I bought a GT 1030 to use with my thin mini ITX board. Though now that I think about it, ASRock is making a very good case for the DeskMini GPU systems too.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
A lot of internet outage in my part of the country yesterday, really slowed down things at work and the worst part is we bill by the hour :( Today I bought a GT 1030 to use with my thin mini ITX board. Though now that I think about it, ASRock is making a very good case for the DeskMini GPU systems too.
Read about that earlier today. Is the service fully restored yet?

Saw a midday showing of Blade Runner 2049 with my newly acquired free time. Just go. See it now. Seriously.
I concur with this statement.

Today, I went to an interview. Got the job (customer service) despite having an abysmal typing speed. :cool: Have to bring up the speed 3x over by next week. Commute time is 50% and the shift is four hours long. I like that it is in the evening though so it supports my night owl habits. :D

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Got an assignment finished this morning and slept for a bit before classes, started getting caught up on my youtube consumption, and continued Radian's development. There's a version of the rear panel with SFX mounting points now, and I've adjusted the rear panel and bezel to mate flushly. Still going through the idea of having the interior on rails and revising the ventilation slots.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
After about 2 months of job searching, with some offers came and went (rejected), I finally got (hopefully) the one.

It's hard deciding between the last two:

1) Japanese MNC
They develop security & biometric solutions for govs & business. Job is more or less front-end dev + some pre-sales to customer or potential customers. Job scope seems to be broad-er (horizontally), and it seems that I can grow my soft-skills as well.

2) Tourism industry
Develop contact center AI & other cognitive apps. Machine learning & Natural Language Processing. Initial project should be some chatbot, with long term goal of utilizing AI for a better customer service experience (I'm leaning toward this one).

Some of you might know that my experience is on web based stuff, and on the long term I hope to become a solution/software architect, in which job 1) should give closer experience to that. However, I also believe that good AI is the future - doing it within the tourism industry 2) should be a good first step.

Sigh, tough time deciding.. Any thoughts / insights / experience you guys can share?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
After about 2 months of job searching, with some offers came and went (rejected), I finally got (hopefully) the one.

It's hard deciding between the last two:

1) Japanese MNC
They develop security & biometric solutions for govs & business. Job is more or less front-end dev + some pre-sales to customer or potential customers. Job scope seems to be broad-er (horizontally), and it seems that I can grow my soft-skills as well.

2) Airline company
Develop contact center AI & other cognitive apps. Machine learning & Natural Language Processing. Initial project should be some chatbot, with long term goal of utilizing AI for a better customer service experience (I'm leaning toward this one).

Some of you might know that my experience is on web based stuff, and on the long term I hope to become a solution/software architect, in which job 1) should give closer experience to that. However, I also believe that good AI is the future - doing it with this airline company 2) should be a good first step.

Sigh, though time deciding.. Any thoughts / insights / experience you guys can share?
Aside from congrats, I can only say to trust you instincts. As Louis Rossman said: Make the decision that is easy to live with.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
@Soul_Est

Thanks. If I can easily instruct my instinct (and/or logic) to take/make decision, I won't be as confused :)

@Kmpkt

I think such travel perks are normal in aviation industry.

Edit: computer/server crash I can try to restart, but I can't restart a plane mid-air.

(One fictional person I know able to restart an aircraft mid-air is A-Team's Murdock :cool:)

---

The point is that I look for a higher jump in salary / job title in the near future (well who don't), and I'm not sure which job allows me to reach that goal easier / sooner.