What did you do today?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Oh of course! I actually didn't use the sheet metal workbench, I instead used the part design/part workbenches to flesh out the design :) That let me export the 3d Object as an STL file, so now I'm setting up a render scene in Blender and seeing how well everything lines up. The current iteration is meant to be laser cut so I really ought have used the drafting workbench. I do think that I would like the design better if it were sheet metal based.
Ah understood. Do not use the Sheetmetal Workbench. As nice as the features are, you will find that certain quirks of FreeCAD rear their heads to make the use of it impossible for a design that will be undergoing revisions. I suppose using git may be a good idea for keeping track of revisions.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Ah understood. Do not use the Sheetmetal Workbench. As nice as the features are, you will find that certain quirks of FreeCAD rear their heads to make the use of it impossible for a design that will be undergoing revisions. I suppose using git may be a good idea for keeping track of revisions.
I see :) I'll keep that in mind!

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Haha yeah I definitely don't know how well this'll work. Just working in a separate file for now :)
Have a look at the latest update that I posted in the RSU thread. It's all simple until you need to change a feature several models up in the tree. ;)

Today I quoted some work for a friend of a friend for insurance purposes, worked on a site for my job, started planning another hardware project, and planned out a new keyboard build (JJ40).

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Got my cast off and replaced with a boot/brace, much more comfortable, and I can now make it a few steps with only one crutch (I can carry things again!). Still another 6 weeks before I can even think about starting to lift things (and go back to work) though.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Got my cast off and replaced with a boot/brace, much more comfortable, and I can now make it a few steps with only one crutch (I can carry things again!). Still another 6 weeks before I can even think about starting to lift things (and go back to work) though.
Glad to read that! Looking forward to your continued recovery.

I showed my boss and coworker what I've been working on for the site, continued my security audit, got paid, and hung out with friends.

Edit: HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
woo00o0ooo000ooOO00oo00oo0Ooo~

speaking of which: the malls are playing christmas music already. wtff?
My store already has Christmas decorations out. Crazyness.

-Edit-

Did homework and worked on Radian today. If I go the sheet metal route I kind of want to emboss the vents in steel and use magnetic dust filters to make things flush, but then the front panel becomes thin (I can only imagine bending ~3mm thick steel isn't cost effective) and consequently isn't as supportive for the tray without some kind of guide. Does create a somewhat nice looking wrap-around bezel though, like the S4/Catz. Sheet metal also makes things challenging to maintain aesthetics and functionality when I need to do bends for mounting the sides.

Otherwise, I'm revising the mounting position for the AC/DC and DC/ATX to ensure I have room for a pump/reservoir. There's space, just gotta use it efficiently.

Last edited:

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Been away from computer for a few days, went to the 2017 Redbull Rampage on Friday. Brett Rheeder scoping a landing

Then a few local rides Saturday and Sunday

JEM trail overlooking the Virgin river

Gooseberry Mesa, overlooking everything

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Today I researched material options for Radian and their properties to take into account for design considerations. I also debated more design details, separated more files for sheet metal experimentation, and found a reasonably priced vender for tempered glass panels which are custom cut and drilled. Oh, and I did some homework too. :p

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
That sounds interesting.

Is it some online course? I might give it a try.
Yes and no. I am going over an old course that I took in college as well as various resources that I found online. The course is CENG411. The resources are on the ARM processor or on the Programmable Real-time Unit Sub-System (RISC processors) of the BeagleBones.
I am starting with the course (which was called UNIX Programming, I think) on my computer, then moving to ARM on my Raspberry Pi, and then moving to the PRUs on the PocketBeagle I have coming in.

Today I researched material options for Radian and their properties to take into account for design considerations. I also debated more design details, separated more files for sheet metal experimentation, and found a reasonably priced vender for tempered glass panels which are custom cut and drilled. Oh, and I did some homework too. :p
You sure have had a very productive day there. Well done and thank you for keeping us in the loop.

I researched some computers for a neighbour, did some reading, ran a small errand, and watched this: