What did you do today?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Yeah the one I'm using is a plug-in power rated unbalanced condenser, so it's either I make a separate 5V powerbox, or (going off a post where someone put resistors in an XLR adapter) use 48V phantom power from the recorder and also figure out how to get the mic to balance

this kid asks the darnest requests ,_,

EDIT:

Well that's the gain thing settled actually ._. I'll rely on the recorder's gain.
(I'm still reading through everything you wrote ,_, thanks by the way!)
You're most welcome.

You rarely need to have a balanced connection unless you're doing long runs in an electrically noise environment (e.g. doing runs to front-of-house speakers bundled together and dressed alongside power cabling). If the mic is unbalanced, then trying to 'convert' it to a balanced connection is likely just going to add an unnecessary headache for no practical benefit.
Thank you for the insight.

Slept 12 hours. Body must be tired!
Yes it was. Glad you're fully rested for now.

Graduated EMT School.

Exhausted.
Congrats! Now do what @confusis just did! XD

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Got some new contract web dev work and waiting to be set up tomorrow.
Congrats man!

Today, I am trying to distract myself from yesterday. Long story short, there is a divorce going on, I am trying to help those involved, and I don't think that I am doing a very good job of it. Right now, I am learning about PRUs, working on a TMK USB-USB Converter, and testing out streaming on Twitch.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Upon closer inspection it looks like somebody took the time to take the barcode off a physical 1070 ITX card and stick it to this one. They also put the Gigabyte pcie and hdmi plastic dust covers onto the card.

At first I thought it was a prank by one AMD fanboy in Amazon.

But then again.. If I were that AMD fanboy, I'd have sent a Vega 56 instead of GT 730.

Or, even better, RX 580 with a letter "Future driver updates will make this card better than GTX 1070"

:cool::cool::cool:

* disclaimer: I'm not a fanboy of both.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I essentially wrapped up a case design using FreeCad, not totally sold on my construction methods though so it's all subject to change. I'll have to start a thread and get some input :) It isn't explicitly for Project TEC though. On that front I did get to solder up a new board with the humidity sensor integrated.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I essentially wrapped up a case design using FreeCad, not totally sold on my construction methods though so it's all subject to change. I'll have to start a thread and get some input :) It isn't explicitly for Project TEC though. On that front I did get to solder up a new board with the humidity sensor integrated.
Noice! If I may ask, how did you go about it? I forays into doing so with the Sheetmetal Workbench were disastrous to say the least.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Noice! If I may ask, how did you go about it? I forays into doing so with the Sheetmetal Workbench were disastrous to say the least.
Oh of course! I actually didn't use the sheet metal workbench, I instead used the part design/part workbenches to flesh out the design :) That let me export the 3d Object as an STL file, so now I'm setting up a render scene in Blender and seeing how well everything lines up. The current iteration is meant to be laser cut so I really ought have used the drafting workbench. I do think that I would like the design better if it were sheet metal based.