What did you do today?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Kind of sad why I'm working on Minecraft though... a Mass Effect Andromeda LAN was planned this weekend, but after checking some first impressions on the game prior we decided too pass on the game for the time being... :( You fell lower than UBISOFT, EA! LOWER THAN UBISOFT!
I was not interested in the game or previous ones, but the amount of "what's wrong with ME:A" and "what they need to fix in ME:A" topics on gaming news sites worried me. Oh EA, you were on the right path. Now you belong back in the "Pit of the Soulless" with Ubisoft.

Reactions: LocoMoto

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Wasted most of my Sunday trying to figure out why I keep getting "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." errors when playing games or using most GPU benchmarks. No issue when I'm using AIDA64's GPU stress testing, but basically when it's rendering something GPU-heavy on-screen, it's going to crash.

I've eliminated most logical causes:
- temperature (core and VRMs)
- clock speed (lowered clock, raised power limit)
- GPU driver (17.1, 17.2, 17.3 all have it, using DDU)
- DX11 and OpenGL both affected, fullscreen or windowed too
- close all AMD processes in the background
- Windows power options (PCIe Power Management = Off)
- reset BIOS defaults and used default safe settings

The two things I haven't been able to make certain is the SX800-LTI power supply and the PCIe Extender that came standard with the TT Core G3. Neither I'd be happy with but the latter won't be a problem for long I hope. I guess it's time to uncage the build and let it sit naked on the table, hoping it's the extender.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The two things I haven't been able to make certain is the SX800-LTI power supply and the PCIe Extender that came standard with the TT Core G3. Neither I'd be happy with but the latter won't be a problem for long I hope. I guess it's time to uncage the build and let it sit naked on the table, hoping it's the extender.

Will be interesting to see what the outcome of this is. My bet is on the PCIe riser.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It is the riser. Now I'm contemplating what I'll do:
- run the build naked until Cerberus-X arrives
- get another case or another PCIe extender
- hack the current case into "something" that doesn't need the PCIe extender

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Ordered a Core 2 Duo E7600 and updated the BIOS on my gaming computer. Finished setting up Steam and some games on my gaming computer. Later, I'll set up the emulators.

Reactions: craigbru

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
It is Monday so I'm on week two of my computer science fundamentals cram and practice sessions. I've long graduated from college and already have professional programming experience, but places I've worked at have made me more rusty in more base CS topics.

So I've hit up HackerRank and Leetcode for more problem solving practice. I'm doing better with HackerRank but Leetcode still kicks my butt, even the problems in the "Easy" category. Instead of looking at the answers I allow myself a day or two to rethink my approach, which helps more as looking up the answers cheats out of the experience. Kinda feels like studying for tests all over again.

Related to that, two companies I applied to last week responded today and are looking to schedule an interview. Woo!

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
It is Monday so I'm on week two of my computer science fundamentals cram and practice sessions. I've long graduated from college and already have professional programming experience, but places I've worked at have made me more rusty in more base CS topics.

So I've hit up HackerRank and Leetcode for more problem solving practice. I'm doing better with HackerRank but Leetcode still kicks my butt, even the problems in the "Easy" category. Instead of looking at the answers I allow myself a day or two to rethink my approach, which helps more as looking up the answers cheats out of the experience. Kinda feels like studying for tests all over again.

Related to that, two companies I applied to last week responded today and are looking to schedule an interview. Woo!
I wish you all the best. You deserve it.

Reactions: CC Ricers

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

caaaaan't waaaaait to hit 3D. If only there was an adobe illustrator plugin for maya

(initial test scaling in maya. stopped this step right when I started to outline the mounting holes.)

Reactions: Soul_Est and zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
What are you trying to draw/model that for? Making a custom CPU cooler or a mounting adapter?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Mainly something to put into my art file. I'm looking closely at component sizes and hole diameters and locations just in case I use it for reference next time for a case or something.

I'm modelling out the whole motherboard by the way. Also will be preparing it as a prop (after looking at the design of the ILM. The way the retention arms flex and how the frame goes in place feels like a case study for how to rig it for animation, like would one universal rig do the job, or have two rigs: one for proper insertion and other for abuse by clueless person). I'll post the LGA 2011-3 Socket and ILM if SFFnet doesn't have it in resources, but there might be some double checking needed because I'm basing it off the only available Intel PDFs on Google, and there hasn't been any leak of per-element dimension blueprints anywhere (I should really own a pair of digital calipers ._.)

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Congratulations! Stay safe!

The day after I got my braces off I got in a bicycle accident and knocked four front teeth out of place... :cool:

My parents were able to get me to a dentist within a short enough time that it was still possible for the doctor to just... shove them back in. Two of those teeth died (and needed root canals), but the other two are fine! My smile is still braces-straight more than a decade later. XD

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
I got my braces off!

My smile is still braces-straight more than a decade later.

Good for both of you (slight jealous sarcasm but still genuine)!

I am rocking that "too poor for braces" slightly-crooked-lateral-incisors look. At least they are both ever so off the same amount. That makes the a-symmetry symmetrical. Oh well, they are healthy. Protect those teeth, you two!

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I'm happy/fortunate/privileged to have had folks that were well off enough to engineer my teeth but the idea and process is honestly pretty insane. It's a very Western thing and in most cases is totally unnecessary, just a lot of money to make people meet a strange standard of beauty. I guess there are more bizarre things folks around the world do to themselves, but even having benefitted from it it's still just such a strange thing to me.