What did you do today?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
More motorcycle maintenance today: changing the tyres and the clutch plates. Tyres were a bit of a pain (glad I bought new tubes, one of the old ones ripped right off the valve stem!), clutch was easy barring the huge timewaste of scraping all the crust old gasket off and picking bits out of the oil galleries.
Old clutch plates. It's hard to see in the photo, but they're worn so flat that the metal 'tabs' around the edge are preventing them from wearing any further once the clutchpack is assembled. I suspect none of the previous owners ever replaced them and they are still the original factory plates (the original and awful Nissin brake pads were still there until I changed them)
New plates stacked in clutchpack ready to be slid into the clutch basket. You can see how the 'teeth' are much taller than the worn plates. In between these friction plates with tabs sticking outside are steel plates with tabs pointing inside. When the clutch is assembled, the engine will power the outside of the 'basket' the clutch sits in and spin the friction plates. The steel plates spin the centre of the clutch, which attaches to the transmission and wheel. The clutch 'pack' is pressed together by a set of string springs, so the engine drives the outside which spins the fraction plates which spin the steel plates which turn the wheel. When you pull the clutch lever in, this relaxes the springs, which allows the friction plates to slip against the steel plates. The outside and friction plates still spin with the engine. but the steel plates can stay stationary without the engine stalling.
Here is where the clutch sits. The clutch basket sits on the left, and you can see the concentric drive and driven shafts. On the right is where the centrifugal oil filter sits (has to be removed to remove the clutch). That green gunk around the edge is the remnants of the gasket, most of which is left glued to the face of the cover (not pictured). The clutch itself sits within the engine case and is immersed in engine oil, which is why using engine oil intended for cars in a motorcycle is not generally a good idea: Oil benefits from being 'slippery', so car oils contain substances that reduce the effective friction of the oil beyond its normal lubrication effect. When these oils are used in a car with a 'dry' clutch (some motorcycles also have dry clutches, e.g. some BMWs and Ducatis), this works just great. With a 'wet' clutch where the clutch sits in the oil, this can cause the clutch to start slipping even when engaged as the friction-reducing additives collect on the surface of the friction plates.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I would post my internet connection but because of the glorious firewall the speed is pretty much irrelevant. Supposedly I get 100M service but lucky to see half that at any time.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Excellent post, very interesting. Isn't it a very calming and relaxing hobby to work on combustion engines ?
Only when you don't have a time limit (and know what you're doing). I'd very much like to have my own workshop at some point.

Reactions: Phuncz

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Looking over Humble GameMaker Bundle which I never thought much of until I looked at AM2R and Pokemon Uranium. What say you @GuilleAcoustic and @IntoxicatedPuma ?

I haven't used these kind of tools before but they seem pretty interesting. Unfortunately I kind of lost interest in the creation of games and content awhile ago and at work just focus on management part of things. I wish stuff like this had been out 10 years ago.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I haven't used these kind of tools before but they seem pretty interesting. Unfortunately I kind of lost interest in the creation of games and content awhile ago and at work just focus on management part of things. I wish stuff like this had been out 10 years ago.
GameMaker has been around for well over a decade now. Unfortunately, such tools are not well known.

Reactions: IntoxicatedPuma

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Today I finished the audio install together with my dad in the Toyota iQ, two Focal VR165 mid-range speakers and tweeters in the front, a temporary Focal 8" subwoofer + enclosure in the back (from another car), Alpine PDR-F50 amplifier (which is quite small, SFF 4 life y0) under the seat and a Mosconi dual hi-low converter behind the stock headunit running off of amplified outputs due to lack of line-out signal. To my amazement it sounded great, I didn't expect the sound to be maintained this well. Later I'm probably going to be installing special slim subwoofer speakers in the rear so I can remove the subwoofer enclosure and get back the already cramped room the car has.

Oh and this blew my mind:

Zoom in on that sticker...

I can't remember when I've ever seen something that wasn't beer have "Made in Belgium" on it. And it's Aisin, a Japanese company. Belgians are expensive as a labor force, WTF. Now I know why Toyota charges so much for their GPS units.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Currently I'm picking up a possible new freelance gig on building a website but it's still not set in stone yet. I'm still open to freelancing to work on other peoples' websites.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Currently I'm picking up a possible new freelance gig on building a website but it's still not set in stone yet. I'm still open to freelancing to work on other peoples' websites.

Working on unplugging and knocking things off my to-do list. Using LifeRPG by Jayvant Javier Pujara do help me do so. Also just starting playing AM2R and PokeMMO.

Reactions: Phuncz

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
symmetric connections, you say? :D

(I got super lucky in that they're doing a trial of a fiber service in some new apartment complexes including mine. It's been super-duper reliable too.)

Sick with something flu-like though tried to get a bit of work done today. Didn't go very well, I expect in the cold hard light of dawn code will not hold up as acceptable. Now just pouring hot lemon, honey, & rye down me and vegging out in a minimally brained manner.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
symmetric connections, you say? :D

What a boss-class connection, that's Gbit LAN speed right there.

I've had the clutch on my Toyota MR2 replaced because it was worn down. It also fixed some other issues that I've had since I've bought it, making me think this wasn't all my own doing.

But the dealer also dropped the bomb that there was a large hole (due to corrosion) in the rear subframe that wasn't visible before because of some protective plates. It's near the exhaust, maybe I should look into some kind of heat shield as it potentially damaged the protective layers.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Holy fuck, you are one of the people who could actually use cloud gaming services.

I did briefly look at running an AWS GPU instance out of curiosity but the cards in those would give you ~70% of a 960 performance as far as I can tell. Would otherwise be feasible, though... I have about 15-20ms ping to nearest AWS endpoint, would cost about .90c/hour to run, could set up something with Steam in-home streaming I'd expect. Honestly for single-player stuff at least I imagine that'd work out for most people with < about 35ms ping.

If I'm going with steam home streaming, though, would probably just want to stick something on a rack in my closet to get noiseless + more performance. Wonder if you can fit a dual-slot PCI card in a 1u... (with a riser cable obvs)

Edit: yup, looks like you can definitely fit a dual-slot card in 1U, there's a variety of systems available for that, even. If you want to use same machine as a VM host too could also just do VT-d passthrough for basically full performance... hmmm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est