What did you do today?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Currently planning a Hackintosh build with High Sierra (finally putting the Coffee Lake CPU to its full use), downloading it from a Mac VM so I can start the USB boot drive. Kinda blows that Turing GPUs are now off limits for me to shop for if I dual boot a Hackintosh, but you can blame that on two egotistical tech companies that don't want to share their toys :) Looks like for upgrades, it's ITX Navi or bust.

Reactions: Phuncz

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Today I have received my Dan Case A4, moved in from K39.
Now I’m browsing video cards longer than 180mm.
You'll be fine there. Just make sure that their coolers not more than two slots.

Currently planning a Hackintosh build with High Sierra (finally putting the Coffee Lake CPU to its full use), downloading it from a Mac VM so I can start the USB boot drive. Kinda blows that Turing GPUs are now off limits for me to shop for if I dual boot a Hackintosh, but you can blame that on two egotistical tech companies that don't want to share their toys :) Looks like for upgrades, it's ITX Navi or bust.
I would also recommend looking at VEGA (56 or 64) and VEGA II (Radeon VII) cards as well. The best ITX NAVI there is currently is PowerColor's 5700 ITX. Below that there will be a 5600 XT ITX and then there is the 5500 XT ITX.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
They have the RX 5600 XT for sale at Scan UK, so that is better availability than the 5700.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
You'll be fine there. Just make sure that their coolers not more than two slots.

I would also recommend looking at VEGA (56 or 64) and VEGA II (Radeon VII) cards as well. The best ITX NAVI there is currently is PowerColor's 5700 ITX. Below that there will be a 5600 XT ITX and then there is the 5500 XT ITX.

From the reviews I read, if money and availability are not an issue, try to avoid 5500 XT and go straight to 5600 and above.

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015

5600 XT might be too pricey for me at the moment but Dell's website is selling a Visiontek ITX 5500 XT for $149 which is half of the price of a 5600 ITX. Plus I have a RX 570 that I could sell off to help with the upgrade. I have a 1080p monitor and would rather upgrade to a higher refresh rate than a higher resolution.

Reactions: ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
5600 XT might be too pricey for me at the moment but Dell's website is selling a Visiontek ITX 5500 XT for $149 which is half of the price of a 5600 ITX. Plus I have a RX 570 that I could sell off to help with the upgrade. I have a 1080p monitor and would rather upgrade to a higher refresh rate than a higher resolution.

Yea if only they ship to SEA :/ would love to try the 8GB version.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I was bored out of my mind today :)))))

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@thelaughingman is it resulting in anything ? I would expect most of the airflow being bounced right back into the fan.

oh yes it does. the Corsair fan is plugged to the same splitter as the heatsink fan. temps just flat out better by a good margin

Ambient is 27C
  • Red line is L9a with fan duct
  • Green line is BR with A9x14
  • Blue line is BR with A9x14 + Corsair ML120 strapped to the side panel

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Now that trackball cleaning is done ... it's time for keyboard cleaning :D
  • Case and keycaps cleaning with hot water and soap
  • Hair and dust sent to No-Where
  • Dry brushed the front plate
  • Cleaned the PCB
Keycaps are drying at the moment, but here's a pic of my trusty old friend in all its glorious clean state !!

ps: For those wondering, it's an Apple M0110 keyboard from 1984 ;)

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Today I entered the world of UCFF by buying 2 used i3 NUCs locally on Gumtree that were calling to me ?.

To be honest, I bought the second one to help a friend on Bit-Tech, who had put a Wanted ad for a NUC on the marketplace.

I've only tested it really quickly with a couple of Windows SSD images, and it booted happily on Win 7 and 10. This one is the taller version with room for a 2.5" drive at the bottom and an mSATA above.

I will buy an mSATA SSD as I have none at the moment. I sold my 24GB mSATA in a thin ITX barebones kit yesterday; it was fine for Ubuntu, but no good for Win 10 any more.

It's very neat, quiet and seems fairly snappy. I can see a rabbit hole appearing in front of me.... Next stop a newer i5 NUC with an NVMe M.2 slot and trying to connect a GPU to it as it seems a good idea ?

saxovtsmike

Chassis Packer
Feb 25, 2020
ooops I did it again. Just ordered a Evolv ITx to match the last week order´d Z390itx to replace a completely perfect working Z390 ATX system, just for the itch of building.
Yay I Know it´s not realy sff more like myff or thick itx, but wait there is a catch. The Madman I am, It´s gonna be fully WC´d, good old soft tubing, Dual Radiator, Aquaero and Conections to a Mora...
So the goals are high and I might fail miserably, but well that´s live.
So Long
Mike

Reactions: Phuncz and Arboreal

jimmyxtl

Cable Smoosher
Feb 21, 2020
I ordered (almost) everything for my new build today! Ncase M1, z490, 32gb ram, 2070 super FE, etc. Got very lucky, the 2070 supers have been sold out on nvidia's website for ages, and it was conveniently in stock today when I went to look! Couldn't be better timing, I only hope the 10700k hits stores soon, or at least let me preorder it!

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
ooops I did it again. Just ordered a Evolv ITx to match the last week order´d Z390itx to replace a completely perfect working Z390 ATX system, just for the itch of building.
Yay I Know it´s not realy sff more like myff or thick itx, but wait there is a catch. The Madman I am, It´s gonna be fully WC´d, good old soft tubing, Dual Radiator, Aquaero and Conections to a Mora...
So the goals are high and I might fail miserably, but well that´s live.
So Long
Mike
Sounds good, but you will have to do some serious surgery to the Evolv to get some airflow through it. I owned one and the vents are waaaaay too small as standard. The guy who had it after me did some major hole making to get it to breathe. Good luck with the water cooling, the case does look good.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
First proper visit to these forums since ... mid-to-late march, judging by my posting history. Found 34 notifications waiting for me, yet discovered that the forums will only display 18 (unless there's some hidden "page 2" button I haven't found). Definitely losing track of some watched threads due to this. Oh well.

Have been in Malmö, Sweden for about two and a half months now, and I'm really liking it here - and not just because unlike Norway there isn't a total shutdown of society here right now. The city is really nice, the weather is amazing compared to what I'm used to (there was a hailstorm at my parents' place yesterday!), and there's plenty to see and do. There's even a well stocked computer store a nice 15 minute walk away! It's nice enough here that the two of us have managed to live relatively comfortably (without going insane!) in what was supposed to be a very short-term tiny apartment (around 35m2, 1-room) even with social distancing and working from home. While I am definitely having some desktop PC withdrawal symptoms, the OptiplRX 570 has been tiding me over fine, and will continue to do so until we can move into the apartment we just bought. Oh, yeah, I guess that's something I've done recently (if not today)! First time owning rather than renting, which is definitely a change. The mortgage is a bit scary, but cheaper than renting. And the apartment is really nice. The home office is going to kick butt, which is great given that I'll be working from there for at least the majority of the next three years. And I'm no longer on sick leave, and even if effectively restarting my work on my thesis is daunting and borderline terrifying it also feels so damn good.

Beyond that, I hope everyone here is doing okay with everything going on in the world right now.

saxovtsmike

Chassis Packer
Feb 25, 2020
Sounds good, but you will have to do some serious surgery to the Evolv to get some airflow through it. I owned one and the vents are waaaaay too small as standard. The guy who had it after me did some major hole making to get it to breathe. Good luck with the water cooling, the case does look good.
I heard of that issue. I don´t know if it was the itx evolve or it´s bigger brothers, but for some i saw aftermarket front and top panels. Dunno if these are still avaliable, or if there are some modders with acces to a cnc mill which can do propper cutouts (.at or .de). If that all fails, I´m willing to use a dremel/hacksaw or other not so propper methods of making holes into metal front facias.

Airflow will regarding exterior panels will be the last topic on my list, as these are removable and do not interfere with the use of the system
First tasks will be cramping radiators, Bulkheadfittings, res, pump and my trustworthy Aquaero into a case not designed for these, second might be preparing the case for a tripple slot gpu, the likes of a strix oc 2080ti to get it futureproof, and not have to ditch it like my old 250d which really was to small for my actual gpu.
If I can come that far, I´d be really happy and switch over to the itx, from my r6.
Maybe a lick of paint inbefore that...

saxovtsmike

Chassis Packer
Feb 25, 2020
Good news, I´ve found a Guy in Germany who allready did some airflowmods with his CNC on evolve Cases. Dunno prices yet but looking forward

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Managed to get Zotac 1660 Super Twin Fan, at around the cheapest US price + 3 USD. Rarely happens in SEA, especially now there's a stock shortage & rising exchange rate to USD :)

Edit: at the time of this post, that cheapest price was from Bhphotovideo, which was cheaper than Newegg & Amazon.

Ah.. how I wish the lockdowns will be over soon. Stay safe all!

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz