What did you do today?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I began to sort through my CD collection recently and today come across one which I bought back in 1984. Time has flown by and many things have changed. For one, I am no more a HiFi enthusiast than I was back in 1984. But the CD still sounds perfect in my humble bookshelf system today. (I think, HiFi is even more a money sucking hobby than PC is.)

Anyway, if someone wishes to begin to venture into classical music, Mendelssohn and Bruch violin concerto are good starting points. Unlike the pre-internet 80's era, you can now listen to a lot of 'free' music online, without the need to buy a CD.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Watched some educational videos on YouTube and looked up what I need to complete my build and setup. Went of a nature walk with a friend behind a park.

• Love
Reactions: _ONE_

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Watched the recent LTT living room PC rebuild video and now I'm convinced once again that I need to get a Cerberus. The good thing is this time around I might realistically be able to afford it at some point. Definitely not soon (HTPC upgrade takes precedence money-wise, and I also need a new monitor and desk chair at some point), but maybe within the next year. At least that gives me plenty of time to figure out a water loop layout and whether I would want/need to get any new radiators or anything.

Reactions: cmyk78 and Arboreal

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Watched the recent LTT living room PC rebuild video and now I'm convinced once again that I need to get a Cerberus. The good thing is this time around I might realistically be able to afford it at some point. Definitely not soon (HTPC upgrade takes precedence money-wise, and I also need a new monitor and desk chair at some point), but maybe within the next year. At least that gives me plenty of time to figure out a water loop layout and whether I would want/need to get any new radiators or anything.
I was watching that video and thought OMG what a genius way to fill your loop until I realized he now had a loop completely filled with tap water.

• Haha
Reactions: ignsvn and Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I was watching that video and thought OMG what a genius way to fill your loop until I realized he now had a loop completely filled with tap water.
If it is all copper or all aluminium, with some biocide, it shouldn't be a problem I guess. The minerals are an issue with mixing metals though. Not sure of this but I'm here to learn :)

My day involved working, for making it a 50 hour workweek. I hope to have some time off this half of the year, as the pandemic has increased my workload even more.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
My day involved working, for making it a 50 hour workweek. I hope to have some time off this half of the year, as the pandemic has increased my workload even more.
I do hope that you'll be able to sooner rather than later.

I am currently watching a stream on Twitch. Good for learning 3D: . Yesterday, I went for a (socially distant) hike with a friend and later make some macaroni and cheese.

Reactions: Phuncz

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Today was one of those days where nothing goes as planned...

Since I'm at home on unpaid leave during lockdown, I've decided to try and work on some YouTube videos. The plan was to finish editing a Radeon RX 5600 XT unboxing video that's taking far longer than planned.

Woke up at 5am, made some tea, dragged all of the clips into Premiere Pro and onto the timeline, and that was the end of my poor Lenovo Carbon X1 (a laptop I never bought for video editing). CPU and RAM both at 95%+, nothing responding, and the same after restarting several times.

Luckily I have a Skull Canyon Intel NUC from the office, which I can use till the end of the month. So the day turning into putting my own SSD into that and installing Windows, all the updates, Creative Cloud, etc, etc.

I did find the offending sequence that killed everything:

So, tomorrow I'll try again!

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I began to sort through my CD collection recently and today come across one which I bought back in 1984. Time has flown by and many things have changed. For one, I am no more a HiFi enthusiast than I was back in 1984. But the CD still sounds perfect in my humble bookshelf system today. (I think, HiFi is even more a money sucking hobby than PC is.)

Anyway, if someone wishes to begin to venture into classical music, Mendelssohn and Bruch violin concerto are good starting points. Unlike the pre-internet 80's era, you can now listen to a lot of 'free' music online, without the need to buy a CD.

Can I join your gang ? I have it on tape ;)

Reactions: tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Can I join your gang ? I have it on tape ;)
Most welcome!
I still have tapes and a working cassette player too. But most of my tapes are not classical but chinese pop songs of the 80's and 90's. Here is one I got back in 2001.

As the local folks here say, you and I are 'old cakes'.
BTW, I notice music album is being resurrected in recent years. Local music stores now carry more and more LPs. They even have turntables on sale. But, I am not going to go down that hole again.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Today, I discover two new products of Coke. Being a fan, I must try them.
Coke has been quite aggressive to push out new products. I recently tried peach flavour and strawberry flavour.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Today, I discover two new products of Coke. Being a fan, I must try them.
Coke has been quite aggressive to push out new products. I recently tried peach flavour and strawberry flavour.
Eww, what a waste of coffee. I don't mind coke, but mixing the two? Eww.

ParallaxStax

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 24, 2019
(Yesterday, but...) I took my AP english language and composition exam. To make the test virtual, the college board shortened the time to 50 minutes, but the essay still had to be the same length. I'm now done with school stuff for the year, so now I have more time to be in lockdown :/ .

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Eww, what a waste of coffee. I don't mind coke, but mixing the two? Eww.
I don't think the word "coffee" is remotely tied to the ingredients in those drinks.

Today I baked some bread (low carb mixed with Adam's Brot Gold) and set out to wash the windows and interior of the car. Mainly the leather seats needed some care. I saw a few recommendations that a steam cleaner helps on leather seats with creases. Along with a leather conditioner, I hope it improves. No pics as I forgot to do a before and I probably need to reapply the conditioner tomorrow.

Ofcourse I was stupid enough to leave the ventilation on to counter the steam production, now I've drained the battery...

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I do not wish to start a thread just for this but I do notice today some members are now moderators.
Congratulation!
I wonder if they are going to be properly introduced either by themselves or by someone higher in the rank in an official announcement.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yes but Tenet is also directed by Christopher Nolan, who also directed the Dark Knight trilogy. Not the same movie or story, but something to look out for if his movies and sci-fi storytelling speak to you.