What did you do today?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Having a better time with Full Circle under Arch Linux. Still a bit of a pain though so I may just downgrade to a pure work machine.

@Biowarejak
I finally have FreeCAD installed and working on this stable Arch Linux install in case you need help with the designs or tutorials.

Glad that freecad works now. What DE/WM did you install ?

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Having a better time with Full Circle under Arch Linux. Still a bit of a pain though so I may just downgrade to a pure work machine.

@Biowarejak
I finally have FreeCAD installed and working on this stable Arch Linux install in case you need help with the designs or tutorials.
Speaking of Arch...

My Manjaro VM is randomly freezing now, any idea how to fix this? I refuse to use Arch due to the difficulty of such an install, so I'll be sticking with Manjaro.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Glad that freecad works now. What DE/WM did you install ?
I installed LXQt as that gets me up and running quickly. Doing a global dark or light theme takes some work though.

Thanks, I'll let you know! I have a lot going on this week otherwise I'd probably have the first tutorial up by Sunday.
Cool beans.

Speaking of Arch...

My Manjaro VM is randomly freezing now, any idea how to fix this? I refuse to use Arch due to the difficulty of such an install, so I'll be sticking with Manjaro.
I wouldn't know without more details. It could be anything from the VM application to high load on the host system or VM. As for Arch vs. Manjaro, there is Antergos which I used to install Arch last week. Purely graphical installer with six graphical environments to choose from. I only installed Arch using the installation instructions from their wiki because I needed more control over how it all worked.

Reactions: Biowarejak and el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I installed LXQt as that gets me up and running quickly. Doing a global dark or light theme takes some work though.

Cool beans.

I wouldn't know without more details. It could be anything from the VM application to high load on the host system or VM. As for Arch vs. Manjaro, there is Antergos which I used to install Arch last week. Purely graphical installer with six graphical environments to choose from. I only installed Arch using the installation instructions from their wiki because I needed more control over how it all worked.
OK... So Windows is barely using any CPU utilization when I'm running a VM. Set the execution cap on VirtualBox to 90%, problem still persists. Who knows? Maybe it's the AMD drivers for Manjaro...

Perhaps it's an issue with AMD (and AMD GPUs)? Yeah, I won't dual-boot Linux anytime soon if that's the case.

(i wish my vm could work so i could go work on a crazy useless config that i wont even practically use is that good enough please pray to the linux gods)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
OK... So Windows is barely using any CPU utilization when I'm running a VM. Set the execution cap on VirtualBox to 90%, problem still persists. Who knows? Maybe it's the AMD drivers for Manjaro...

Perhaps it's an issue with AMD (and AMD GPUs)? Yeah, I won't dual-boot Linux anytime soon if that's the case.

(i wish my vm could work so i could go work on a crazy useless config that i wont even practically use is that good enough please pray to the linux gods)
You wouldn't be using the AMD GPU as that would be reserved for the host OS. Do you have the software that VirtualBox requires installed in the VM? I'm also wondering what options you set when creating the VM. That would give us all a better idea of what's happening.

As for AMD and Linux, the open-source driver works. My issues stem from the older kernel I'm using. Need to build a new one with right patches (thank you AUR).

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak and el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
You wouldn't be using the AMD GPU as that would be reserved for the host OS. Do you have the software that VirtualBox requires installed in the VM? I'm also wondering what options you set when creating the VM. That would give us all a better idea of what's happening.

As for AMD and Linux, the open-source driver works. My issues stem from the older kernel I'm using. Need to build a new one with right patches (thank you AUR).
OK, imma list off the hardware options:

6000MB of RAM; boot order floppy, CD, hard disk, network
PIIX3 Chipset, USB Tablet pointing device, I/O APIC, no EFI, Hardware Clock in UTC Time, 4/8 CPUs, 90% Execution cap, no PAE/NX, Default paravirtualization, VT-x and AMD-x enabled, nested paging enabled.

32MB video memory, 1 monitor, 3D acceleration, 100% scale, no 2D acceleration. No remote display, no video capture.

1 Storage device (manjaro.vdi), SATA, AHCI, 1 port, no host I/O cache.

Audio with Windows DirectSound, ICH AC97, Enable Audio Output, no audio input.

Network Adapter 1: NAT

No serial ports
USB 1.1 OHCI controller
No shared folders

I did find this:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=VirtualBox
Section about Running Manjaro within VirtualBox. I might use that to see what I did wrong.

We'll see.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
I spent most of the day in waiting and recovery rooms at a hospital today, but thankfully for good reasons.

My wife is 13 weeks pregnant, but the doctor saw signs on Thursday that what happened last time was just starting to happen again. There wasn't anything we could have done last time around, but because they specifically checked for it and caught it early enough this time around, there were steps they could take to deal with it, hence why I found myself in the hospital today.

To make a long story short, my wife is home and recovering nicely after a successful, preventative surgery. While it's not a sure thing, the odds that our kiddo will reach full term just went from something like nil to something like 80-90%. Oh, and as a nice bonus, we now actually know what happened last time and know that we'll need to deal with it in any future pregnancies as well, since up to this point, the doctors were never actually sure which one of several causes was responsible for what happened previously.

So, all around, It's been a stressful but good day.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I spent most of the day in waiting and recovery rooms at a hospital today, but thankfully for good reasons.

My wife is 13 weeks pregnant, but the doctor saw signs on Thursday that what happened last time was just starting to happen again. There wasn't anything we could have done last time around, but because they specifically checked for it and caught it early enough this time around, there were steps they could take to deal with it, hence why I found myself in the hospital today.

To make a long story short, my wife is home and recovering nicely after a successful, preventative surgery. While it's not a sure thing, the odds that our kiddo will reach full term just went from something like nil to something like 80-90%. Oh, and as a nice bonus, we now actually know what happened last time and know that we'll need to deal with it in any future pregnancies as well, since up to this point, the doctors were never actually sure which one of several causes was responsible for what happened previously.

Absolutely amazing. Glad things are turning out well for you and your wife.

Forget my day. I'm just really happy for @Aichon here.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018

Great! :D

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Finally toned out and labeled all my network cables. remembering what went where was getting super old.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I feel confused about life >_<

I need to do homework (math is getting REALLY annoying, and the other classes just assign piecemeal homework that clogs up the day), exercise so I don't die, get enough sleep to stay awake in class (which is around 11 hours for me for some odd reason), not eat too much, AND:

Work on some SFF projects, have some fun outside of that, tinker with my Linux VM, maybe play some Overwatch, and then do things good for my social life so I don't rip my head off because of homework.

AAAARGH!!!

(perhaps these are all first-world problems) ._.

Over the weekend I need to grind a TON to get the math problems graphed and the more difficult ones solved. Couple that with physics problems and you've got issues. I need to get some sleep before I go insane and die.

@Biowarejak What do you study? Hopefully my major can be inferred...

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Im running a home, not a DC. Also, imo the way their doing that w/ all the patch panels in the top of the rack and all the switches in the bottom / another rack isnt ideal. That being said my shit bears all the hallmarks of being halfassed.

:D

... but with only a few cables...

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
@Biowarejak What do you study? Hopefully my major can be inferred.
I mean I'm only in my second year, and a bit behind in math if I'm being perfectly honest, but I'm planning to get a BS in Mechanical Engineering. It's a possibility I could find an easier major and then minor in ME, to reduce the math burden, but still. I actually enjoy math, I just chose the same instructor that i barely passed before and it's rough-going lol.

Today was good! I watched Orbiter 9 on Netflix which was cool, did a group project, and did alright in precal. The more work I do by hand the more confident I feel about the upcoming test.

Speaking of upcoming stuff though, I have a 4 more pages of a paper that I need to crank out. RIP XD

Oh! And I checked out that Gilera 106ss this week. Pretty bike in bad condition. I want it, but I know it's going to be a major pain to get her in good condition again.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I do not think many would buy a motherboard from Galaxy unless he is a super fan of the brand.

Just when will this RGB/LED fad fade away?XD