What did you do today?

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I feel your pain. Having that issue getting my articles done. We're all here to help you.

Getting your thoughts out of your head is a good way to look at them from a different perspective. What has you feeling lost and confused?

Yesterday did not go as I would have liked. It was the day of AMD VLAN with Micro Center. I had installed Manjaro (I know it's not pure Arch Linux which we prefer , @GuilleAcoustic , but I needed to get up and stably running quickly) again in order to not deal with the reboot bug that I was experiencing. While it somewhat helped, none of the games I wanted to play during the VLAN worked. This has made me reconsider my need for such a machine at the moment. It's akin to owning a high-end sports car and only driving it on the weekends when it's actually working. With any car, I want actually use it to its full potential more often than not. As with @el01 , I am considering a laptop for work instead. I am looking a either a Huawei Kepler Matebook D or a BTO ThinkPad A485 (as Lenovo cannot be consistent with the ThinkPad A285 ffs). In other news, I have today off from my secondary job and I will be taking on extra tasks at my primary job starting tomorrow.

I'm lost and confused since I'm working on a deadline with a case concept (first time using FreeCAD to design anything big), I need to do graphing for physics homework (which isn't all that bad, it's just that I can't use graph paper), various other homework items, exercise, eat, sleep enough (11 hrs a night for me for some odd reason :p), work, and then maybe have some fun.

Perfect laptop for work (and play):

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/NH.Q3GAA.001

Sell your current Ryzen system and get one of these ;)

Who cares if battery life sucks (at 1.5 hours MAX)? This is an overclockable Ryzen laptop! And who cares if it crushes your lap? It'll crush puny Macbooks and them consumer laptops... in general (weight and otherwise). Additional backpack mounting frame not included, but required to not kill your back.

Seriously, though, the A485 is a great option, but I would use the desktop Vega 8 drivers if you are using Windows. The stock ones crash a ton. Apparently my friend's Dell Inspiron with the same processor doesn't have the same issues, but it does crash on the sign-in screen sometimes.

Waiting for ThinkPad P-series laptops with the -H series mobile processors- that would be awesome.

P.S. I work, but the school I work at supplies me with a laptop to use there. It's a kinda crappy HP ProBook. I don't like it or use it very much (I use my phone or the communal Surface Pro 3 for everything). I don't like either of those either. But my laptop doesn't have the proprietary software we use for management and whatever, so oh well. Also, the school district wants to spy on us ;))

Speaking of which, work is kinda a slog. At least I don't have to go there very often. 2 or 3 times a week, around 5 hours each. Meh.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I'm lost and confused since I'm working on a deadline with a case concept (first time using FreeCAD to design anything big), I need to do graphing for physics homework (which isn't all that bad, it's just that I can't use graph paper), various other homework items, exercise, eat, sleep enough (11 hrs a night for me for some odd reason :p), work, and then maybe have some fun.
I read you on that. Getting the right life/work balance is never finished.

Perfect laptop for work (and play):

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/NH.Q3GAA.001

Sell your current Ryzen system and get one of these ;)

Who cares if battery life sucks (at 1.5 hours MAX)? This is an overclockable Ryzen laptop! And who cares if it crushes your lap? It'll crush puny Macbooks and them consumer laptops... in general (weight and otherwise). Additional backpack mounting frame not included, but required to not kill your back.

Seriously, though, the A485 is a great option, but I would use the desktop Vega 8 drivers if you are using Windows. The stock ones crash a ton. Apparently my friend's Dell Inspiron with the same processor doesn't have the same issues, but it does crash on the sign-in screen sometimes.

Waiting for ThinkPad P-series laptops with the -H series mobile processors- that would be awesome.
That behemoth?! Nah. The Matebook D or ThinkPad A485 would suffice.

P.S. I work, but the school I work at supplies me with a laptop to use there. It's a kinda crappy HP ProBook. I don't like it or use it very much (I use my phone or the communal Surface Pro 3 for everything). I don't like either of those either. But my laptop doesn't have the proprietary software we use for management and whatever, so oh well. Also, the school district wants to spy on us ;))

Speaking of which, work is kinda a slog. At least I don't have to go there very often. 2 or 3 times a week, around 5 hours each. Meh.
I may be able to just use a laptop from my primary job since I need something to run these tasks that I'm taking on and I cannot get some form of VMWare's vSphere client to install. T_T

Reactions: Biowarejak and el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I read you on that. Getting the right life/work balance is never finished.

That behemoth?! Nah. The Matebook D or ThinkPad A485 would suffice.

I may be able to just use a laptop from my primary job since I need something to run these tasks that I'm taking on and I cannot get some form of VMWare's vSphere client to install. T_T
No, but you wouldn't even need a desktop unit with the Helios. That would be the desktop. ;)

When you realize that you could probably build a STX PC in that laptop..

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Well. e.lab is not a registered domain. In maybe a decade or two, you'll know where to find me ;)

Watched some Initial D. Now I really want an AE86. So in my region, we have some dude selling an AE86 axle and a random master cylinder for some odd reason. I guess the Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ would suffice. Unfortunately, the best (sporty-ish) car I can currently afford (used) if I spend a decent amount of money for my poor self currently is a 2012 Civic Si. Oh well. Who knows, maybe my dad will gradually give me his 2007 Civic (non-Si). Maybe if I get a niche job that utilizes computer science and physics.

Made monthly bread (more like hardtack) ration. Builds character.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I added spoilers and quotes to my signature. Small victories.

(and I managed to find an Ambrose Bierce quote that wasn't too ridiculous and couldn't be misinterpreted).

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Today I realized that I'm probably cancer on this thread given how many posts I've put out and in such small timeframes. Master of Cramming in under year happens when you're a rambler like me (i'm kinda ashamed of that achievement).

My life is coming together again. This weekend I'll do some homework then start trying to prototype a design or two. L-beams are not that expensive and I have money left at the end of the month (surprise surprise), so I can pick up $13 worth of that tomorrow, hope I don't cut myself, then try to make something that might work the day after.

On the other hand, to achieve funding, do any of you think I should do Patreon? Since I don't like Discord very much (private reasons), we'll have a (hopefully) Slack channel (which is massive overkill, I know, but does anyone know of any alternatives that respect my privacy?), moar updates from me so that this thread doesn't just become me, and maybe a Q/A or two, since I haven't really revealed that much about myself. I might also include updates on secret projects (sign the EULA first, please ;)).

I'm going to wait a week before I spread my random posting across this thread once again.

Reactions: Soul_Est

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
got a shelf to use as a table. trucker only arrives on monday evening

like the Corsair One, my "battlestation" table is going vertical

Reactions: el01

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

Messing around with M-STX. CustomMod Nano (made useless for Micro-STX by poor manufacturing - the case is 2mm too narrow to fit a full board) with a M-STX board, HDPlex 160W AC-DC. Internal PSU, 1.6L. Will throw in a decent CPU at some point (currently running a pentium).

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
It's actually weird seeing a VGA cable/port in use. Somehow it was the first thing I noticed.:)

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I have a bunch of server gear, sometimes it's easier to find a VGA cable than a HDMI or display port one :p

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Smoked my vacuum chamber sealer by feeding it 220VAC :(

It was a US model and I've been running it with a step down transformer for ~4yrs but somehow yesterday morning I f**ed up and flicked the damn switch on the transformer and turned on the machine while connected to 220V...

If anyone wanna see the innards of a vacuum sealer:

Fortunately I think it's just two busted caps on the psu - yellow pcb there. Will get replacement tomorrow, fingers crossed.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Well, as it turns out, since I tend to drag my computer along a desk, the rubber foot in the back of my laptop is a bit sanded down on one edge compared to the other and now the corner of my PC levitates off the desk (more like is above my desk). FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

On the other hand, World of Tanks has been great! Until I get destroyed due to my low armor and my lack of foresight.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
It's not just the caps :mad:

Breaker tripped, mosfet cracked and exploded...

But afterwards I succeeded in determining the psu's output voltage. Then after jerry rigged it with an adaptor (with heating element unplugged cause figured it'll be the one requiring most power from the psu), it's alive! The pump is working, controller working. I can breathe a relief now...

But yeah I'll need a new psu. Problem is I don't know how much that heater consumes...

Reactions: Biowarejak and el01

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Smoked my vacuum chamber sealer by feeding it 220VAC :(

It was a US model and I've been running it with a step down transformer for ~4yrs but somehow yesterday morning I f**ed up and flicked the damn switch on the transformer and turned on the machine while connected to 220V...

If anyone wanna see the innards of a vacuum sealer:

Fortunately I think it's just two busted caps on the psu - yellow pcb there. Will get replacement tomorrow, fingers crossed.
This belongs in the space inefficiency thread.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Actually the space above the electronics is pretty much the whole chamber. I do agree though thay they could've enlarge the back to fit the boards and make the chamber deeper.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Got temporarily banned from WoT for accidentally destroying a teammate. Oh what fun.