What did you do today?

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Did some very basic benchmarking of the 2080Ti vs. 1080Ti for VR using FCAT*. For things already comfortable within the 11ms limit there is little change, but start pushing things and the difference is dramatic. e.g. Raw Data where 2xSS would be completely in ASW on the 1080ti is damn near rock solid on the 2080Ti without ASW.

*99% fighting with Python trying to convince it that it does indeed have permission to write to a file in its own directory (which I could only tell by recording the screen and framestepping to see the split second of degug log in the insta-closing command window), a file that I explicitly set full permissions to to all users, a file that it should be able to access anyway with Python run as admin, to the point I gave up and edited FCAT Analyser to just not be able to write to the config file in the first place.
I'd rather debug Visual Basic than deal with Python.

This bad boy can fit so many SFF systems!
I actually did a rough estimate with my ITX board... it can fit approx. 2 ITX systems within the motherboard tray, each with 1000 watts of power if I could hack something up using the redundant power supplies...

Of course, if I axed the drive bay, then I could totally fit more... Approx. 4 ITX systems.

The funny thing is, I bet that my janky GTX-480 chipped Nvidia Tesla has about as much compute power as the 4 dual core Opterons that were in that thing...

TIME TO INSTALL *a few* i9-7980XE ITX systems (overclocked on LN2, of course, of course)

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
My journey trying to repair a old 2TB HDD from my university:
Tries connecting it via USB bridge to PC. Fails.
Tries measuring voltages. Fails.
Tries using PSU to power motor. Fails.
Tries using system to read from disk. Fails due to lack of VGA cable.
Tries using another system to read from disk. Discovers that the disk was thrown away for a reason (SMART Status: "bad")
How bad, you ask? I don't know, let's find out.
Tries flashing Manjaro to USB stick. Fails (due to lack of space on USB)
Tries using elementary to boot from USB. Fails (NO BIOS SETTING FOR BOOT FROM USB AAAAAHHHH)
Tries doing something useful in life for once. Fails and comes here (admittedly, I do learn from here!)

Press F to pay respects for my sanity. Tomorrow imma try to boot my system's important files from that disk.
;)

@confusis
You look better! You really do! Reminds me of some nice friendly middle-aged man in a public library helping you find books about physics (this is a real story, by the way) and then having a coffee (or two) with you and chatting about random things around you. Great for a mod.

(ends up mildly depressed due to lack of ability to grow facial hair of any sort: this may be hinting at something ;))

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Well now I'm debating participating in movember lol. But this week has gone rather well academically. Quest for a motorcycle has been a mixed bag. Found an old Gilera, might go for that as a restoration project.

Saw Venom, which is hands down my favorite movie right now. I can't wait to see a cut that has the 45 minutes Tom Hardy really liked, because the pacing, action, and comedy were pretty rock solid throughout.

Been aching to get back into CAD. Radian needs to come to life, I've seen a number of very similar looking cases come out which squander the potential of the form factor. Plus I need to at least publish that first tutorial.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Started watching Initial D (boredom, not wanting to do homework). Now I want an AE86. Maybe in my dreams.

Reactions: Soul_Est