What did you do today?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Drivers were a pain in the ass since the stock ones crash while watching video, apparently the Dell ones and hp ones crash even more, so I had to go through a process and install the desktop drivers, which are forunately stable and don't seem to affect battery life. Things have been pretty smooth so far. Otherwise, my only complaint is the lack of holes on the side (cooling not ports). Also, fn and control switched will take some getting used to, especially considering my deskside keyboard doesn't have fn. Fn really?;)
There is an option in the BIOS to swap Fn with Ctrl, no?

Reactions: el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Started looking more into SFF transportation today. Realized much to my dismay that Victory Motorcycles is no more, which is a shame because I'm very fond of the Judge. Seeing as there's none up for grabs in Texas I've been thinking more about getting an Indian Scout (Bobber or otherwise), a Kawasaki Vulcan, or a Honda Rebel. You can probably tell I prefer a more relaxed riding position :p Of course, those last 3 are if I were buying new, but there seem to be some solid deals around here on Craigslist.

Other than that just went to classes, pre-cal was alright today :)
GET THE HONDA MAKE ME PROUD ;)

Reactions: EdZ and Biowarejak

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Honda makes good stuff, other than their small engines. They're just too overpriced. You can get a Predator motor (from Harbor Freight) that's Higher CC, more HP, and more torque for half the cost (or less!).
But is it Honda durable? As in multiple thousands of kilometers?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
To be honest, many motorcycle engines are incredibly reliable. You'll have to work on them eventually (many hundreds of kilometers in) but it's a non-issue if you have the technical skills and don't mind getting your hands dirty. :)

Today I finished a math assignment and went to work! Gonna get a different phone afterwards due to a carrier change and then finish up what's left of the pre-cal stuff.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
To be honest, many motorcycle engines are incredibly reliable. You'll have to work on them eventually (many hundreds of kilometers in) but it's a non-issue if you have the technical skills and don't mind getting your hands dirty. :)

Today I finished a math assignment and went to work! Gonna get a different phone afterwards due to a carrier change and then finish up what's left of the pre-cal stuff.

I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I do crazy things with a cheap ass Honda lawnmower I have my eyes on ;)

These says have been kinda slow. Tried on Linux subsystem for Windows on my laptop yesterday. Watched some car videos, now I'm tempted to build the riciest Civic the world has ever seen.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
How do you like it?
I think it's fine, but considering I'm no system admin, I don't know what to say. Apt-get moo works, so theres a start... I'll still be running a VM considering that it gives me a bit more flexibility and ease of use. Yesterday I searched up Virtual box portable for fun. The error rate on Windows 10 is 44 perfent of all users. Yeah, it's bad.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
What did I do this weekend? I slept 12 hours each day. I've haven't been this tired in a long while!

Also,
  • Finalised a review (but can't publish it yet)
  • Worked on a few other reviews
  • Tried to schedule next week to get content back to a normal cadence, incl news posts and community features
  • Mild panic attack because of the above
  • Started writing a "Personal Rig Update" style article

Thanks all for the offers of support during the past few weeks.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I think it's fine, but considering I'm no system admin, I don't know what to say. Apt-get moo works, so theres a start... I'll still be running a VM considering that it gives me a bit more flexibility and ease of use. Yesterday I searched up Virtual box portable for fun. The error rate on Windows 10 is 44 perfent of all users. Yeah, it's bad.
Yeah, Windows is truly annoying to work on, especially for enterprise settings. I mean changing settings and programs to suit one's needs and have them stick. Also SysPrep and capturing Windows installations are <insert-curse-word-here>.

What did I do this weekend? I slept 12 hours each day. I've haven't been this tired in a long while!

Also,
  • Finalised a review (but can't publish it yet)
  • Worked on a few other reviews
  • Tried to schedule next week to get content back to a normal cadence, incl news posts and community features
  • Mild panic attack because of the above
  • Started writing a "Personal Rig Update" style article

Thanks all for the offers of support during the past few weeks.
Glad you're finally getting some good rest and please pace yourself. I'm looking forward to your next articles and I sent you a message regarding submitting my own.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Is anyone here innarested in a ThinkPad E485 review? You'll have to wait a year for it (that's when I've decided all the nuances) and it probably won't be very good considering I don't want to open the machine (screws may fall out if I don't tighten them enough like on my IdeaPae 110) and that I tend to ramble a ton...

My one week in thoughts are that other than drivers, it's been pretty damn good! Screen is solid although a bit dim, trackpad is fine considering that I dont care about physical buttons, port selection is ok, it's otherwise running like a dream. Haven't gotten any that's such a bland and ugly pc why don't you use a Mac comments from assholes at school, so yaaaay

Today I woke up at 8:30, got some breakfast, had a high density vitamin C smoothie (ice, water, a lime's worth of juice), did some FreeCad, studied a bit, had some lunch, and then went off onto campus. I need to go to the gym occasionally, so I did a bit of that with my friends until one of the hardcore guys looked at us struggling with the weights and tried to force us to do more. Oh well. After returning home, I went out biking, went fine until I handled a sharp turn wrong and wiped out into the hill next to the trail. I'm fine, a minor leg injury, but the bike hit a very sharp rock along with a bit of my leg, so "my leg" and due to a dent in the first gear (which I never use) that's a lotta damage. Got home, watched some YouTube, played some disco, now I'm here.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Is anyone here innarested in a ThinkPad E485 review? You'll have to wait a year for it (that's when I've decided all the nuances) and it probably won't be very good considering I don't want to open the machine (screws may fall out if I don't tighten them enough like on my IdeaPae 110) and that I tend to ramble a ton...

My one week in thoughts are that other than drivers, it's been pretty damn good! Screen is solid although a bit dim, trackpad is fine considering that I dont care about physical buttons, port selection is ok, it's otherwise running like a dream. Haven't gotten any that's such a bland and ugly pc why don't you use a Mac comments from assholes at school, so yaaaay
I'm down for that.

Today I woke up at 8:30, got some breakfast, had a high density vitamin C smoothie (ice, water, a lime's worth of juice), did some FreeCad, studied a bit, had some lunch, and then went off onto campus. I need to go to the gym occasionally, so I did a bit of that with my friends until one of the hardcore guys looked at us struggling with the weights and tried to force us to do more. Oh well. After returning home, I went out biking, went fine until I handled a sharp turn wrong and wiped out into the hill next to the trail. I'm fine, a minor leg injury, but the bike hit a very sharp rock along with a bit of my leg, so "my leg" and due to a dent in the first gear (which I never use) that's a lotta damage. Got home, watched some YouTube, played some disco, now I'm here.
I hope you recover from that spill soon. How are you liking FreeCAD?

I started building Full Circle with posts coming later.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I'm down for that.

I hope you recover from that spill soon. How are you liking FreeCAD?

I started building Full Circle with posts coming later.
I find every bit of non-google software I use to be unintuitive, but FreeCad is OK in terms of useablitity, except when it crashes when I only click once on the drawing plane.

I'll recover fine, I'll just wrap my leg in Flex Tape. The gear can be recovered with some truly great engineering with a hammer and a metal table.

By the way, Doom but it's a flex tape ad is a tremendous meme.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Celebrated my birthday both with friends and family! Also finally sat down to finish my precal homework (pro-tip, setting your phone on the other side of the room helps!), and got myself an LG Stylo 4. It's sooooooooo much better than the $30 phone I had before.

Bit torn on the stylus, not as ergonomic or functional as the Note 9's, but I'm typing on it and I must say it's quite agile around the screen. I'm sure it'll become more useful with practice. The rear camera appears quite clear, though I cannot say the same for the front. It may well be that Snapchat has some funky processing going on though.

Perhaps a review is in order? :p

Anyway, yeah, it's been a great day.

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
Just moved house. Dead tired. Glad I moved to SFF in general: MI-6 case, 75% keyboard.
Having to move between dorms and apartments twice every year for uni is the exact reason why I wanted to go SFF. The next great venture is going to be a 60% keyboard right? :p

I finally got my hands on a HDPLEX 400W dc-atx! I'm so excited! That sff pc that was supposed to celebrate making it to senior year is finally being built :D

This morning I decided to experiment fitting the 400W to the Node 202 before I start the full build. It's absolutely doable. I might detail stuff I learned in a build log or something if others are interested in fitting a HDPLEX 400W to a Node 202.