What did you do today?

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
It's been a busy few days, so I'll sum it up here...

On Saturday, my dad and I livestreamed John McCain's funeral. Then, we went to the airport to pick my mom up (which took a ton of time due to my mom and I being on the wrong pickup level [resolved by yelling in Chinese over the phone and over the dinner of loud buses].) Then, I spent the rest of the day with my parents at home. Also, what's black, red, and used to be an IBM product?;)

On Sunsay I spent some time with my cousin who was over for a while, who had a minor bit of tantruming over how much homework he had at school. After he got over that, I spent a bit of time playing Overwatch with him (damn you Fortnite scum!;)). I'm not good at all, so of course I got my ass kicked. Oh well.

Today I went hiking with a couple of buddies, saw a McLaren driving down, was instantly jealous despite my excellent Honda Accord ( THE FASTEST RACING CAR ON PLANET EARTH AMIRIGHT?). Got home, had a few beers with my friends, instantly regretted the fact that work starts next week for me. Weeee! At least this year I found a job for the high school I used to attend. Nostalgia and fixing computers. This can only go one way.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Started looking more into SFF transportation today. Realized much to my dismay that Victory Motorcycles is no more, which is a shame because I'm very fond of the Judge. Seeing as there's none up for grabs in Texas I've been thinking more about getting an Indian Scout (Bobber or otherwise), a Kawasaki Vulcan, or a Honda Rebel. You can probably tell I prefer a more relaxed riding position :p Of course, those last 3 are if I were buying new, but there seem to be some solid deals around here on Craigslist.

Other than that just went to classes, pre-cal was alright today :)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
gopro's wifi functionality decided to die. latter half of filming a short project ended up in troubleshooting that fucking cube.

EDIT: cooling down. I should be working through this turn of events to build character, but it's 11PM right now. will spend and extra lunch day this week to pucker up next morning.

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Still working obscene hours, now doing even heavier work (on Tuesday I racked up >20k steps). Also, daughter had a fall at school and had to take her to A+E. Just a sprain thankfully.

We're looking at getting another staff member ASAP so hopefully this is the last week of this!

For context - I work in the distribution centre of NZ's largest organics retail chain. My role is split between driving our delivery truck (and hand loading/unloading tonnes of stock) and picking said stock for delivery, as well as supervisory and consulting stuff. I'd say I move 2 tonnes of stock by hand - in 15-30kg crates - and average 10Km of walking each work day.

Last week our main driver injured himself, so I've taken on his role, as well as my usual workload.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Well, if good things didn't come to an end, what good would they be anyways?

:(
Yeah :/ I'm just glad that they're offering about a decade of continued service for existing bikes. Still, though, I hope that Polaris can find a way to make them viable again.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah :/ I'm just glad that they're offering about a decade of continued service for existing bikes. Still, though, I hope that Polaris can find a way to make them viable again.

Polaris bought them out??
How did I not hear about this?

I would bet, though, that Polaris will revive some, due to how many people like them....

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017

I would bet, though, that Polaris will revive some, due to how many people like them....
It would seem Polaris actually started Victory, but yeah. It wasn't routinely profitable in the last couple years so we lost the division. Polaris also owns Indian, so there's that. I definitely want to see them come back, I just worry considering the general decline in fresh sales to younger riders.

Seems the fix-it-yourself mentality of 'cycle culture resulted in robust, long-lasting designs that are often many times cheaper second, third, or even 4th hand as compared to buying new. Reminds me of the computer world in some aspects :p Or maybe contrasts with it.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Realized much to my dismay that Victory Motorcycles is no more, which is a shame because I'm very fond of the Judge.
oh wow this is beautifull, its a shame indeed
when I was younger I was really into bikes but the city I lived in was traffic hell. now I'm kinda married and going back to that same city so I'm not getting one soon haha. I'm really into scooters thought. vespa is one of my favs for sure

today (and yesterday) I managed to pack 80% of my stuff. and I thought I had quite fewer stuff.
Me and my partner are temporary living with my mother in law for the week so we can focus on packing, and I got to bring my deskptop in a backpack. its my first 'sff trip' and I guess I never really though how usefull this was XD 10/10 i can see myself traveling with this setup again

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Also, what's black, red, and used to be an IBM product?;)
Used to be black, blue, and red with a good (even great) keyboard. Damn you, Lenovo! XD How are you liking it so far?

Still working obscene hours, now doing even heavier work (on Tuesday I racked up >20k steps). Also, daughter had a fall at school and had to take her to A+E. Just a sprain thankfully.

We're looking at getting another staff member ASAP so hopefully this is the last week of this!

For context - I work in the distribution centre of NZ's largest organics retail chain. My role is split between driving our delivery truck (and hand loading/unloading tonnes of stock) and picking said stock for delivery, as well as supervisory and consulting stuff. I'd say I move 2 tonnes of stock by hand - in 15-30kg crates - and average 10Km of walking each work day.

Last week our main driver injured himself, so I've taken on his role, as well as my usual workload.
That's criminal of your employer, plain and simple. You need at least three more people.

Or an exoskeleton!
Or a nano-tech suit!

Same. They did have some simple and elegant machines.

Here's hoping that they'll be revived.

Today was hectic at work. I finally recovered from the weekend. Got a couple of my orders in. Going to start reading up in preparation for building (and work at my second job) this weekend.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
It would seem Polaris actually started Victory, but yeah. It wasn't routinely profitable in the last couple years so we lost the division. Polaris also owns Indian, so there's that. I definitely want to see them come back, I just worry considering the general decline in fresh sales to younger riders.

Seems the fix-it-yourself mentality of 'cycle culture resulted in robust, long-lasting designs that are often many times cheaper second, third, or even 4th hand as compared to buying new. Reminds me of the computer world in some aspects :p Or maybe contrasts with it.

Do a crowdfunding campaign to buy the brand and assets?

XD

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Do a crowdfunding campaign to buy the brand and assets?

XD
Hahaha if I had the will, time, and connections, I would. Got a number of things on my plate though, companies I want to start and school I need to finish. We'll definitely see what the future holds for the brand :)

If this convo is getting off-topic (not to the forum, motorcycles are SFF!) maybe it's worth moving to another thread. Not sure if there's a motorcycles thread or not :p

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Hahaha if I had the will, time, and connections, I would. Got a number of things on my plate though, companies I want to start and school I need to finish. We'll definitely see what the future holds for the brand :)

If this convo is getting off-topic (not to the forum, motorcycles are SFF!) maybe it's worth moving to another thread. Not sure if there's a motorcycles thread or not :p

GO SPEED BIKER

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Used to be black, blue, and red with a good (even great) keyboard. Damn you, Lenovo! XD How are you liking it so far?

That's criminal of your employer, plain and simple. You need at least three more people.

Or a nano-tech suit!

Same. They did have some simple and elegant machines.

Here's hoping that they'll be revived.

Today was hectic at work. I finally recovered from the weekend. Got a couple of my orders in. Going to start reading up in preparation for building (and work at my second job) this weekend.
Drivers were a pain in the ass since the stock ones crash while watching video, apparently the Dell ones and hp ones crash even more, so I had to go through a process and install the desktop drivers, which are forunately stable and don't seem to affect battery life. Things have been pretty smooth so far. Otherwise, my only complaint is the lack of holes on the side (cooling not ports). Also, fn and control switched will take some getting used to, especially considering my deskside keyboard doesn't have fn. Fn really?;)