What did you do today?

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Ouch. Hopefully that is the last time you have such an expensive plate renewal.

Today was very quiet. It's essentially vacation time at my company. I checked in with my coworker at my second job and they are well as this week has been quiet there too. I have been looking at motherboards for Full Circle and found that the ASUS ROG Strix B450-I Gaming is going for $201.99 CAD (excl. 13% tax) or $155.50 USD (at mid-market rate). Only thing that has me hesitating is the unreleased Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI. Although, the common sentiment tends to be, "It looks good but it's a Gigabyte.", it is the only other board with a M.2 slot on top of the board and the only Mini-ITX AMD board sporting an Intel 9260.

It's an Intel 3168 module in the Gigabyte, easily swapped out for a 9260 though for cheap, which then puts it almost at the same money for the Asus........ Just a head's up.
4 + 2 (real) phases on the Gigabyte, vs the 6+ 1 in the Asus (the advertised 6+2 is incorrect, just like the phase misnaming fiasco for all the b450 boards), the Asus is from a phase standpoint a better board for 8 cores. The Gigabyte, MSI and the Asrock are better boards for APU's due to the extra SoC phases that the iGPU runs off.

I've seen reviews for every board now and if it's purely to run an 8 core with an Overclock, I'd take the Asus, for anything else it isn't going to make any real world difference other than the feature set that you want most and perhaps longevity of the board if you are hammering it with an 8 core in workstation loads. All of the boards have quirks and niggles, it's just a case of tailoring which one suits your intended use the best.

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Figured out that 12v was bad for my Peltier unit, has a scorch-mark on the cold side. Though it does seem to run fine now if not all that well. I'll look into a replacement. In the meantime it's mounted into the airbox on my moped, an old GPU heatsink "passively" cooling it while riding, and a couple of 60mm fans forcing airflow through the now rather full compartment. I did notice a fair amount of dirt build-up in one corner so I'll check it after having the system enabled for a few rides. I did forget to secure the wires to the frame but it should be fine.

Essentially I made a really terrible turbo-cooler for a 49cc engine for giggles. Woo!

Put it a schedule-change at work a week late last week so I had to call-out today in order to go to class. Algebra is starting to come back to me... and I've got Pre-Cal to do. At least I fumbled my way through Trig last spring, so that'll help.

I really need to get back into the swing of things here, even if it means I need to live-stream some free-cad stuff. Not my worst idea but it's less versatile than a properly laid series. Bit of a delay in that due to an interface issue I was having with workbench tools not showing up until I found where to enable them. I'll be sure to note that.

Also picked up For The King on Steam and promptly lost 3 hours of my life in what felt like 15 minutes. Wow.
I had to take algebra and precalc in high school... Now math is hammering me hard...

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Figured out that 12v was bad for my Peltier unit, has a scorch-mark on the cold side. Though it does seem to run fine now if not all that well. I'll look into a replacement. In the meantime it's mounted into the airbox on my moped, an old GPU heatsink "passively" cooling it while riding, and a couple of 60mm fans forcing airflow through the now rather full compartment. I did notice a fair amount of dirt build-up in one corner so I'll check it after having the system enabled for a few rides. I did forget to secure the wires to the frame but it should be fine.

Essentially I made a really terrible turbo-cooler for a 49cc engine for giggles. Woo!

Put it a schedule-change at work a week late last week so I had to call-out today in order to go to class. Algebra is starting to come back to me... and I've got Pre-Cal to do. At least I fumbled my way through Trig last spring, so that'll help.

I really need to get back into the swing of things here, even if it means I need to live-stream some free-cad stuff. Not my worst idea but it's less versatile than a properly laid series. Bit of a delay in that due to an interface issue I was having with workbench tools not showing up until I found where to enable them. I'll be sure to note that.

Also picked up For The King on Steam and promptly lost 3 hours of my life in what felt like 15 minutes. Wow.
Hope the Peltier works out well for you. Yeah, math is annoying at times. I hope that you get a mathematician that enjoy teaching the whys and wherefores, not do X to get Y and finally end up with Z.

it was yesterdey but I was to tired to post anything

I went to the high design expo, that its a luxury furniture convention aimed at professionals of the field. I went with my professor and it was hella great! its really nice to see abundant quality everywhere
I even got to sit on a Herman miller chair
one day I'll have 2 of them thanks

and today its my last day at my internship!! horray
next week I'll be moving out of town already so thats nice :)
I'm finally moving to somewhere way better for jobs and pretty much anything else really
I'm not even sad anymore, moving out will be amazing
Living the dream! I wish the best of everything in life.

It's an Intel 3168 module in the Gigabyte, easily swapped out for a 9260 though for cheap, which then puts it almost at the same money for the Asus........ Just a head's up.
4 + 2 (real) phases on the Gigabyte, vs the 6+ 1 in the Asus (the advertised 6+2 is incorrect, just like the phase misnaming fiasco for all the b450 boards), the Asus is from a phase standpoint a better board for 8 cores. The Gigabyte, MSI and the Asrock are better boards for APU's due to the extra SoC phases that the iGPU runs off.

I've seen reviews for every board now and if it's purely to run an 8 core with an Overclock, I'd take the Asus, for anything else it isn't going to make any real world difference other than the feature set that you want most and perhaps longevity of the board if you are hammering it with an 8 core in workstation loads. All of the boards have quirks and niggles, it's just a case of tailoring which one suits your intended use the best.
Thank you for the suggestion. The Gigabyte B450 has Bluetooth 5.0 listed in its specifications which the Intel 3168 does not support (Bluetooth 4.2). I most likely will get the ASUS however as it does appear to be the better (over-) engineered board (for my CPU) and I have an Intel 9260 already.

I had to take algebra and precalc in high school... Now math is hammering me hard...
Oof. I feel your pain.

@Biowarejak @el01
Would you both like some help with math? It's been a while since I've done it but I will try my best to help you.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Would you both like some help with math? It's been a while since I've done it but I will try my best to help you.
I appreciate the offer, I think I have a handle on it though :)

Hope the Peltier works out well for you. Yeah, math is annoying at times. I hope that you get a mathematician that enjoy teaching the whys and wherefores, not do X to get Y and finally end up with Z.
Yeah he has a Phd in applied mathematics, totally loves the subject. There's a beauty to be understood in it, I'm doing my best.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018

Living the dream! I wish the best of everything in life.

Thank you for the suggestion. The Gigabyte B450 has Bluetooth 5.0 listed in its specifications which the Intel 3168 does not support (Bluetooth 4.2). I most likely will get the ASUS however as it does appear to be the better (over-) engineered board (for my CPU) and I have an Intel 9260 already.

Oof. I feel your pain.

@Biowarejak @el01
It's frankly fine. I studied a bit over the summer, it's just complicated.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I appreciate the offer, I think I have a handle on it though :)

Yeah he has a Phd in applied mathematics, totally loves the subject. There's a beauty to be understood in it, I'm doing my best.
It's frankly fine. I studied a bit over the summer, it's just complicated.
Understood. I am proud of you both and I wish you both the best.

Today was dead. I could leave my desk for long stretches of time and not miss a call. I stayed the full time as it was Friday and there was one other team member and myself. I did pick up another component for Full Circle. Just ordered another one that will be delivered next week.

Edit: Tested one of the components on K'NNECTED and it runs. Yay? K'NNECTED has a BIOS instead of a UEFI so nothing else could be done.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Made friends with the neighbors lol. Very happy-accident but it all worked out. Work was fine, actually rather validating since it essentially took the entire store to cover my shift yesterday since I had class. My supervising manager said she has a new-found respect for what we do lol.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Made friends with the neighbors lol. Very happy-accident but it all worked out. Work was fine, actually rather validating since it essentially took the entire store to cover my shift yesterday since I had class. My supervising manager said she has a new-found respect for what we do lol.

If only my internship application at Google passes through... Then I might be able to ask (more like beg) them to issue me a company phone...

Lol no I'm fine with my current craptastic phone... But I'll have you guess what I own isn't craptastic now...

Reactions: Biowarejak

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Today is my birthday, took a day off :D.
Happy Birthday!

-Realised I worked 52 hours last week
-Realised I'm going to do the same this week
-This isn't including SFFn work or parenting

I am shattered, exhausted, spent. Hence the lack of articles.
ouch, hang in there :/
its a temporary thing or something in your work has changed? either way, good luck this week

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
-Realised I worked 52 hours last week
-Realised I'm going to do the same this week
-This isn't including SFFn work or parenting

I am shattered, exhausted, spent. Hence the lack of articles.
You've got this. Don't worry about the articles. See to yourself first, then be there with your family. If you'd like some help, I'm sure others and myself could pitch in on articles or otherwise.

Happy Birthday!

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015

Happy Birthday @GuilleAcoustic, I am delighted to hear you took the day off to celebrate.

Although it's not my birthday just yet, I did have a joint 50th Birthday part with one of my best friends (and LAN buddy) on Saturday night.
The weather was beautiful and warm for late summer, and we had a hog roast for family and friends in his garden.

If that wasn't enough, look at the cake action that took place:

This amazing LAN party cake appeared late evening, complete with 5 and 0 candles to blow out

Not content with that, our daughters had been baking in secret one day last week and created a couple of dozen of these little gems:

That's right! PUBG airdrop / care package cupcakes complete with 'red marker smoke' buttercream icing

What more could a fella ask for? I was overwhelmed at the kindness and support from friends and family :D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Happy Birthday @GuilleAcoustic, I am delighted to hear you took the day off to celebrate.

Although it's not my birthday just yet, I did have a joint 50th Birthday part with one of my best friends (and LAN buddy) on Saturday night.
The weather was beautiful and warm for late summer, and we had a hog roast for family and friends in his garden.

If that wasn't enough, look at the cake action that took place:

This amazing LAN party cake appeared late evening, complete with 5 and 0 candles to blow out

Not content with that, our daughters had been baking in secret one day last week and created a couple of dozen of these little gems:

That's right! PUBG airdrop / care package cupcakes complete with 'red marker smoke' buttercream icing

What more could a fella ask for? I was overwhelmed at the kindness and support from friends and family :D
Oh my, that's awesome and looks yummy !