What did you do today?

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Went to a performance of Cirque du Soleil yesterday (Corteo) with the fam. Their shows are always a bit strange and entertaining. The acts in that show have understandably changed over the years, I hear, but the overall theme of the show (a circus clown dreams about his funeral) would accommodate that well.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
On my way back from the CNE now. Went to the Gaming Garage sponsored by AMD. Took in some of what was going on but missed out on the DnD that was running upstairs. Met some reps from Powercolor and Sapphire and hung out with them for much of the day. Missed out on meeting the higher-ups for AMD marketing though. That'll come next year I suppose.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Today I'm recovering from getting gel pens ink exploded into my mouth from another student (thankfully I didn't swallow anything nor did I get stains on my teeth). The teacher did give the student a strongly worded talk, though, so alles gut. I had a ton of homework today, so yaaaay. Also, my laptop has cleared customs and is on a plane to the U.S. yaaaay!

Finally, I hope that the people caught up in the Florida shooting came out fine. My condolences go to them.

Edit: Jesus BioWareJak: what is that liking speed?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Today I'm recovering from getting gel pens ink exploded into my mouth from another student (thankfully I didn't swallow anything nor did I get stains on my teeth). The teacher did give the student a strongly worded talk, though, so alles gut.
Buddy that's like attempted murder... Lol, of course, I'm lacking context but if there was any maliciousness you should escalate to the principal or something. Just my 2c, glad you're okay

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Buddy that's like attempted murder... Lol, of course, I'm lacking context but if there was any maliciousness you should escalate to the principal or something. Just my 2c, glad you're okay
Don't worry, it was apparently on a plane or something and had high pressure... Besides, who would want to murder me ;)? My grades are only decent, I don't date, I really have no exceptional achievements, and finally I didn't have the pen pushed near me. I just opened my mouth at the wrong time. Thanks tho!

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Don't worry, it was apparently on a plane or something and had high pressure... Besides, who would want to murder me ;)? My grades are only decent, I don't date, I really have no exceptional achievements, and finally I didn't have the pen pushed near me. I just opened my mouth at the wrong time. Thanks tho!
Lmao no worries mate, stuff happens.

-edit-

Eventful day with the start of classes and catching up on Josh's last stream. Got heatsinks and peltier mounted to and through my air-intake cover. Definitely got one side hot. Definitely got the other side hot too. Must've done something wrong XD I'll lookup some common peltier circuits later I guess

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Damn glad you're okay @el01 . Yay for ThinkPads! Have fun with those peltiers @Biowarejak and glad you could catch the saved stream!

Today was dead at work even with my boss away for half the day. Watched the Cyberpunk 2077 WIP gameplay. *drools* Searching for a temp power supply to power Full Circle while I design the case for it and figure out the final power delivery system. Also awaiting on Amazon receiving the MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC.

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Today I vomitedcmy guts out!

No jeez. My computer is in ALASKA right now thanks to the glacial UPS flight speed. Messed with Norton on my computer ( provided by my dad's ISP) and failed at fixing it. Oh well. My laptop arrives Friday. I won't harrang (?) you guys with updates about my laptop from now on, but I will post a pic ( high-resolution 8 metapixels if my camera decides to give me a gtfo) later.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
  • After effects expression time!
  • Ticker Text that's basically "0mm abc" to "123mm abc" (the font size matters(!) here)
  • Ticker needs Math.round to prevent crazy long digits. so far so good
  • Ticker + label. okay.
  • can i just format the label text to smaller- nope
  • nevermind, animate text
  • numeric selector + scale.... wait no the kerning isn't scaling
  • ++ tracking-- WTFF that's not keeping to the original kerning!
  • new animate layers: per-character (?!) scaling + tracking
  • seems to work (wow imagine doing for a sentence. there has to be a better way)
  • keyframes. still working
  • ... wait. what if i count the number of characters in the ticker itself?
  • Ticker.Length, others minus number of characters for offset
  • oookay much better, I only need to edit the ticker up to 3 digits long now.
  • (wow imagine doing for a sentence. there has to be a better way)
I forget how much hatejoy I get when programming in After Effects ,_,

EDIT:
  • changes font to something with dissimilar widths for numerals. WORKED LIKE A CHARM (up to 3 digits, but i'll probably won't go any more than that)

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I have to pay for some part replacements/fixes, all mainly to pass my state's emissions test. Car reported some diagnostic trouble codes. Cost: well, it's more than a 1080 Ti :eek: This is the most expensive license plate renewal I ever had to do.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I have to pay for some part replacements/fixes, all mainly to pass my state's emissions test. Car reported some diagnostic trouble codes. Cost: well, it's more than a 1080 Ti :eek: This is the most expensive license plate renewal I ever had to do.
Ouch. Hopefully that is the last time you have such an expensive plate renewal.

Today was very quiet. It's essentially vacation time at my company. I checked in with my coworker at my second job and they are well as this week has been quiet there too. I have been looking at motherboards for Full Circle and found that the ASUS ROG Strix B450-I Gaming is going for $201.99 CAD (excl. 13% tax) or $155.50 USD (at mid-market rate). Only thing that has me hesitating is the unreleased Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI. Although, the common sentiment tends to be, "It looks good but it's a Gigabyte.", it is the only other board with a M.2 slot on top of the board and the only Mini-ITX AMD board sporting an Intel 9260.

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
ITS HONDA TIME REEEE VTEC KICKED IN AND I STILL HAVE SAME FUEL ECONONY EVEN THOUGH I DRIVE A 15 YEAR OLD CAR AND DONT KNOW WHAT IM DOING REEEE

License plate fees are a pain, though. I could hack together a truly great wonder of an x58 system for that money. At least it's only every few years...

Today was ok, school, etc. I missed the delivery of my computer so I'll swing by the designated drop-off location tomorrow

Also there was a serial fly in my apartment- it flew around me as soon as I got home, while I was doing homework, getting some dinner, having some fun playing games, and when I brushed my teeth. I finally got rid of it through random whacking and some shower steam. Oooof.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Ouch. Hopefully that is the last time you have such an expensive plate renewal.

Today was very quiet. It's essentially vacation time at my company. I checked in with my coworker at my second job and they are well as this week has been quiet there too. I have been looking at motherboards for Full Circle and found that the ASUS ROG Strix B450-I Gaming is going for $201.99 CAD (excl. 13% tax) or $155.50 USD (at mid-market rate). Only thing that has me hesitating is the unreleased Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI. Although, the common sentiment tends to be, "It looks good but it's a Gigabyte.", it is the only other board with a M.2 slot on top of the board and the only Mini-ITX AMD board sporting an Intel 9260.

I remember this stupid thing my friends and I did when I benchmarked a GA-X58-UD3R. We ran randomly around campus in Naruto fashion screaming "jiggabyte ultra durable". I managed to memorize the marketing on the back of the box, anddid an LTT style ad for it once when my friends and I were messing around at my place.

Now, Ultra Durable is like TUF. Marketing. Also, gigabyte and VRMs. Also, the fact that I have an Intel board with a 2+1 phase VRM without a heatsink. (insert CinemaSins bell)

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Figured out that 12v was bad for my Peltier unit, has a scorch-mark on the cold side. Though it does seem to run fine now if not all that well. I'll look into a replacement. In the meantime it's mounted into the airbox on my moped, an old GPU heatsink "passively" cooling it while riding, and a couple of 60mm fans forcing airflow through the now rather full compartment. I did notice a fair amount of dirt build-up in one corner so I'll check it after having the system enabled for a few rides. I did forget to secure the wires to the frame but it should be fine.

Essentially I made a really terrible turbo-cooler for a 49cc engine for giggles. Woo!

Put it a schedule-change at work a week late last week so I had to call-out today in order to go to class. Algebra is starting to come back to me... and I've got Pre-Cal to do. At least I fumbled my way through Trig last spring, so that'll help.

I really need to get back into the swing of things here, even if it means I need to live-stream some free-cad stuff. Not my worst idea but it's less versatile than a properly laid series. Bit of a delay in that due to an interface issue I was having with workbench tools not showing up until I found where to enable them. I'll be sure to note that.

Also picked up For The King on Steam and promptly lost 3 hours of my life in what felt like 15 minutes. Wow.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
it was yesterdey but I was to tired to post anything

I went to the high design expo, that its a luxury furniture convention aimed at professionals of the field. I went with my professor and it was hella great! its really nice to see abundant quality everywhere
I even got to sit on a Herman miller chair
one day I'll have 2 of them thanks

and today its my last day at my internship!! horray
next week I'll be moving out of town already so thats nice :)
I'm finally moving to somewhere way better for jobs and pretty much anything else really
I'm not even sad anymore, moving out will be amazing