What did you do today?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Wiped out on my moped due to a front brake issue. I'm fine, the median is fine, the bike is scratched to hell but fine. Just need to fix that brake. Ditching into the median was... fun. Oddly. Bike rubbed its sidewall on the curb because I took the turn too fast (loss of braking power) and I ditched. Thankfully I was able to pick it back up and have it running again before more traffic came along.
I am so glad you're alive and okay-ish.

I gave up on the RX 570 Pulse ITX. While it would have been a nice addition to the build, my current PSU would not handle it. The Ryzen 7 1700X does no come with a cooler either which I forgot about. The current build that I am planning will have me spending $600.00 CAD less which can go towards quality of life improves for the entire system.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
sent my submission for a small design contest. emails are scary ,_,
You got this!

Figured out why my front brake died :) the hydraulic line rubbed on the tyre as it spun, nicked it and so it bled out.
Well the new one will be tucked away so you won't have that happening anymore. Would love to have you continue to be with us going forward.

I started taking a look at the sad state of AM4 Mini-ITX motherboards. It is really more for the Ryzen 7 2700X that I plan to run on the system. After looking at various reviews, Anandtech's B450 overview article, and Buildzoid's videos, I'm concerned about the cooling for the VRMs on the boards. I suppose given that, I should look at the ASUS and MSI first (especially given their pricing) and ASRock and Gigabyte after as well as the X470 versions of those boards (despite not needing any of the extra features). My basic concern is for the longevity of the power delivery portion of the boards. While the mosfets are rated for high temperatures, they should have adequate cooling should a user be using tower cooler or water-cooling.

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I worked on a bit of something special today...
4974277320612070757a7a6c652e20
jajajaja
*winky face* ;)

You got this!

Well the new will be tucked away so you won't have that happening anymore. Would love to have you continue to be with us going forward.

I started taking a look at the sad state of AM4 Mini-ITX motherboards. It is really more for the Ryzen 7 2700X that I plan to run on the system. After looking at various reviews, Anandtech's B450 overview article, and Buildzoid's videos, I'm concerned about the cooling for the VRMs on the boards. I suppose given that, I should look at the ASUS and MSI first (especially given their pricing) and ASRock and Gigabyte after as well as the X470 versions of those boards (despite not needing any of the extra features). My basic concern is for the longevity of the power delivery portion of the boards. While the mosfets are rated for high temperatures, they should have adequate cooling should a user be using tower cooler or water-cooling.
Well... About VRM cooling... I do have an idea... Take a million Raspberry Pi heatsinks and thermal pad them on. :). Seriously though, a lot of the B450 boards suuuuuck with VRM cooling (and vrms in general). Builzoid is completely correct when he says that the heatsinks are "modern art pieces" in his Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi board review I watched today (along with the Z370 Micro from EVGA and the Asus Mars GTX 760x2 card).

Also, I saw something hilarious where MSi was mocking ASUS about their "small" VRM heatsinks where MSi has a heatsink that extends over the I/O (B360 Tomahawk). EVGA's X299 Dark is just sitting in the side of the room, giggling.

Last edited by a moderator:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
went through my entire digital life (that's the 1.5TB I've been accumulating since I got my first PC). I'm already running out of juggling space before I can start my Windows Storage Spaces mini-array ,_,

also fingers crossed for the possibility that I can bring that disk array to my next upgrade system ,_,

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
went through my entire digital life (that's the 1.5TB I've been accumulating since I got my first PC). I'm already running out of juggling space before I can start my Windows Storage Spaces mini-array ,_,

also fingers crossed for the possibility that I can bring that disk array to my next upgrade system ,_,
I have hopes for a mini-nas/workstation design in my FreeCad tutorial series, if the design is ever realized it should have ample storage capacity.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Bought a bluetooth transmitter and set up a dual audio system in the lounge. Normal speakers for everyone, but a set of bluetooth headphones for my hard of hearing father. He's chuffed :D
D'awwwww.

I worked on a bit of something special today...
4974277320612070757a7a6c652e20
jajajaja
*winky face* ;)

Well... About VRM cooling... I do have an idea... Take a million Raspberry Pi heatsinks and thermal pad them on. :). Seriously though, a lot of the B450 boards suuuuuck with VRM cooling (and vrms in general). Builzoid is completely correct when he says that the heatsinks are "modern art pieces" in his Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi board review I watched today (along with the Z370 Micro from EVGA and the Asus Mars GTX 760x2 card).

Also, I saw something hilarious where MSi was mocking ASUS about their "small" VRM heatsinks where MSi has a heatsink that extends over the I/O (B360 Tomahawk). EVGA's X299 Dark is just sitting in the side of the room, giggling.
I know right? XD I do admit that the MSI B450I GAMING PLUS does look solid for it's power delivery. Still have to see if the UEFI implemetation holds up and how well the board works with Linux. I also noted that Gigabyte has no Mini-ITX offerings (yet?). Would be interesting to see if they release a follow up to the AB350N-Gaming WIFI or not.

*sighs*

Today was moderate and productive. Had some weird gotchas, but sorted them out. Will be working at my other job this weekend but it's the long weekend. Checking in on an auction for RAM for the rig hoping that I can cop it for less than (current) MSRP. Everything else in the build revolves around getting it. In the mean time, I have been looking for more Samsung B-Die based RAM.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
D'awwwww.

I know right? XD I do admit that the MSI B450I GAMING PLUS does look solid for it's power delivery. Still have to see if the UEFI implemetation holds up and how well the board works with Linux. I also noted that Gigabyte has no Mini-ITX offerings (yet?). Would be interesting to see if they release a follow up to the AB350N-Gaming WIFI or not.

*sighs*

Today was moderate and productive. Had some weird gotchas, but sorted them out. Will be working at my other job this weekend but it's the long weekend. Checking in on an auction for RAM for the rig hoping that I can cop it for less than (current) MSRP. Everything else in the build revolves around getting it. In the mean time, I have been looking for more Samsung B-Die based RAM.
After poring through the Anandtech article, apparently there will be an Aorus B450 ITX board. I wouldn't get too excited though...

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
More Buildzoid videos today, along with more cleaning out of my grandparents' apartment. My grandma is thoroughly a pack rat, and there was a nest of cockroach eggs that my mom and I came upon today :p

Continued work on my top-secret project (which will have a reveal date of September 30th. Hint: it's a case). I'm trying to build up a small hype train, so... yeah.
Make sure you're well-versed in various ciphers before: 382f31352f3138. You'll need it :p

I realized that I don't have enough money in my Chinese bank account to buy the TaoBao ITX case I was eyeing, I might beg my mom for some money. On the other hand, I did find a bamboo crate when cleaning out that is the perfect size for an ITX motherboard, small (ish) cooler, and maybe some sort of Mean Well PSU...

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
el01, have you ever seen a live bian lian (变脸)?
If not, I recommend it.
Not that I remember, no... I might have seen one at 宽窄巷子[kuan zhai xiang zi](not sure if that's the right spelling) 3 years back when I last went to China, but I don't remember. My mom and I might go if we have time. Thanks for the suggestion! :D

EDIT: Do you know what sucks? The fact that I've been watching the ThinkPad E485 on Lenovo's website for two weeks now and there's still no discount! It's only a few weeks till the school year, and literally almost every other ThinkPad is on sale X((((((.

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
Sold the old z77 + 3770 + 8GB and bought b85 + Xeon 1231v3 + 16GB for the same money.
The new board finally has proper fan control as well as vcore adjustment options, and seems like the Xeon does 3,8Ghz at <0,95v!
Money well spent.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Sold the old z77 + 3770 + 8GB and bought b85 + Xeon 1231v3 + 16GB for the same money.
The new board finally has proper fan control as well as vcore adjustment options, and seems like the Xeon does 3,8Ghz at <0,95v!
Money well spent.

Talk about trading up. Just like on those RAM heatspreaders: SAVAGE :cool:

Today was slow. Left early with permission from the boss. Felt bad for my co-worker who stays longer to run tasks at the end of the day. I want to go in early tomorrow so I'm taking this evening to rest and work on some stuff that I've been putting off.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I really want to go full on Team AMD for my next build, including both CPU and GPU. I kinda want to do it on a budget though so even Polaris GPUs would be out of the question, as buying a sub $100 card from a previous generation would be more probable. Thinking between a R7 360 and 370, and it has to be mini ITX sized too. R7 370 has better performance but it is GCN 1st gen so no FreeSync support vs the 360/260.

Also, I'm considering using 3D Hubs for my next case project over Shapeways. The tools are just a bit better, I have more options for materials, some that are still good in finish and are more affordable, and they're laid out more clearly IMO. I might even make use of their outsourced CNC work some day.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I really want to go full on Team AMD for my next build, including both CPU and GPU. I kinda want to do it on a budget though so even Polaris GPUs would be out of the question, as buying a sub $100 card from a previous generation would be more probable. Thinking between a R7 360 and 370, and it has to be mini ITX sized too. R7 370 has better performance but it is GCN 1st gen so no FreeSync support vs the 360/260.

Also, I'm considering using 3D Hubs for my next case project over Shapeways. The tools are just a bit better, I have more options for materials, some that are still good in finish and are more affordable, and they're laid out more clearly IMO. I might even make use of their outsourced CNC work some day.
That's excellent! Looking forward to it. 3D Hubs got a lot of flak from the shops that they worked with for how they handle orders. There was a thread in the 3D printing subreddit about it and a few viable alternatives that could be used instead.