Prototype Velka 7: SFX PSU, 295 mm GPU, 52 mm CPU coolers, 3.5" storage, case fans

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
If it pains you to design a case this big Michael, I shudder to think how you felt designing my case! Since it's double the volume haha

Nice case man, I like the PSU mounting system

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
If it pains you to design a case this big Michael, I shudder to think how you felt designing my case! Since it's double the volume haha

Nice case man, I like the PSU mounting system

Designing is not the problem so much as manufacturing. Thank you!

Reactions: Tazpr

Wintermute

Cable Smoosher
Oct 25, 2018
Allow me to copy/paste my comment on Velka 6 thread on /r/sffpc:

"Finally a case with proper ventilation, not plain metal boxes with tiny holes or aquariums.

I really like the layout. However, I have a gripe...it's 2019 and GPUs are getting beefier and beefier. The casemakers should really start thinking about accomodating graphics cards that are more than 2-slots thick, if people are going to use their cases for longer than 2 years, that is. Even now, there's just a handfull of cards that are straight 2-slot, even in the lower segment, let alone the powerhouses, and EVGA made a short GPU with 3-slot cooler (WTF) that only a couple of SFF cases on the market can fit. And they aren't getting any thinner. I'm pretty sure we'll be hard pressed to find a 2-slot card in the very next generation of GPUs, nevermind down the line...and cases aren't ready.

Personally, I'd prefer if the case was slightly shorter (to fit a "regular length" 267mm card) but slightly wider (to fit at least a 2.5-slot thick cooler), if it's able to maintain 7-8L volume that way. There's not much point in supporting 295mm long GPUs if there are only few current gen cards over 270-280mm with 2-slot coolers (you might have more luck with previous gen cards but those are fading away). Problem is, I suspect shortening the case would mess with the PSU positioning, I'm not sure...

I too would like to see front USB ports, if possible. No need for audio ports but one or two USB ports would be nice on a case this long/deep. Stretching forward and turning the case in order to plug a USB stick or something might be acceptable on a short case but on this it's pain in the ass...

All in all, I like it."

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I will do the same for others to see.

How about this?

Keep graphics card clearance at 295 mm, make this case 20 mm wider, and give users the option to move the motherboard tray. One position provides enough space for a 70 mm tall CPU cooler and dual slot graphics card. The other provides enough space for a 50 mm tall CPU cooler and triple slot graphics card. This may also create enough space for the 3x 92 mm fan mounts to be replaced by 2x 120 mm fan mounts. New volume would be 7.9 liters.

This is a concept that I will be exploring with the Velka 3, with 1 and 2 slots instead of 2 and 3. You can read a little bit about it here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...p-to-8-cores-and-gpus-up-to-rtx-2070-4l.9681/

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
GPUs will shrink when 7nm hits. We're between nodes so nVidia put out a rather large chip before 7nm.

Regardless, there will always be reference sized GPUs.

Alur

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019

How about this?

Keep graphics card clearance at 295 mm, make this case 20 mm wider, and give users the option to move the motherboard tray. One position provides enough space for a 70 mm tall CPU cooler and dual slot graphics card. The other provides enough space for a 50 mm tall CPU cooler and triple slot graphics card. This may also create enough space for the 3x 92 mm fan mounts to be replaced by 2x 120 mm fan mounts. New volume would be 7.9 liters.

This is a concept that I will be exploring with the Velka 3, with 1 and 2 slots instead of 2 and 3. You can read a little bit about it here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...p-to-8-cores-and-gpus-up-to-rtx-2070-4l.9681/
This makes this case future proof, adds more space on top maybe even to mount 120mm fans, so sir, you might have the solution many of us are looking for, affordable and well designed case, as pointed out before.

6FeaT

Chassis Packer
Feb 23, 2019

How about this?

I really like this idea regardless of whether GPUs remain at 2 slot or continue growing to >2 slot. Having the choice makes a case like this more appealing to me.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018

How about this?

This is starting to sound like SideArmD's solution. I agree, in the current generation of cards, this seems like the best way to handle it.

Both cases are approaching the problem with very different case designs. I like them both.

@Thehack have cards ever decreased in size before? Now that they have factories producing cards of this size, what are the chances they will do a 180? For the mainstream, larger coolers run cooler and quieter (normally).

Reactions: Xenos

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
This is starting to sound like SideArmD's solution. I agree, in the current generation of cards, this seems like the best way to handle it.

Both cases are approaching the problem with very different case designs. I like them both.

@Thehack have cards ever decreased in size before? Now that they have factories producing cards of this size, what are the chances they will do a 180? For the mainstream, larger coolers run cooler and quieter (normally).

The coolers they put out just depends on the power consumption of the card.

nVidia GTX 780 consumed 250W. The GTX 980 reversed that, being on a much more efficient uArch consumed 180W so didn't require a large cooler. Same with the GTX 1080, only 180W.

The RTX series increased the product stack, and used very big chips. NVidia saw how much people were willing to pay for GPUs, so they added more products on the top end. The RTX 2080 is a 220W card, but it's really more like a GTX 2080 Ti in terms of chip size.

Historically, we're also not used to getting the Ti versions right off the bat. It usually went like this: x80 series comes out, people spend good money for that performance increase/features. Titan comes at for $1000, those same people get milked. And then the x80 Ti, massive coolers and all, they get milked a third time. This time, we essentially got everything in one big go, so it SEEMS like we got bigger coolers but really, we just got all the top end ones at once.

120-150W you can have a good single fan cooler. 150-200W you start needing dual fan designs, based on industry trends.

The RTX 2080 Ti, is a 280W card so we got quite a few 2.7 slot cooler. EVGA just decided to use 3 brackets instead of 2, but the cooler doesn't extend pass the third bracket, so it's not a real triple slot cooler.

If HBM ever takes a foot hold, the required size of a cooler will drastically dimish.

See the Vega cards

The half length, full sized cooler is a great way to increase cooling potential. This design is probably equivalent to a 3 slot cooler. Which I wish more companies would do. Make a single short board design, and have the ITX version, and the long cooler version, instead of two board designs.

TLDR: if HBM catches on, cooler size will decrease. 7nm will give us smaller coolers, until we're on the latter half of the node. There will always be reference design to use.

Last edited:

boogahead

Case Bender
Mar 3, 2019
love the pricing and how it looks
but dang my gpu doesn't fit by 1mm.
Should I try using a sandpaper to shorten the plastic shroud?

scub4st3v3

Trash Compacter
May 4, 2017
Just a point for aesthetics: I think the top and side panels' perforations should extend the same amont. From the render (which I know isn't final) the top perforations reach further to the rear of the case. It may obstruct a bit of a top mount fan, but filling in the last few rows of holes would likely be more aesthetically pleasing.

A minor comment, the case looks fantastic on the whole.

Last edited:
Reactions: VELKASE Michael

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
@Thehack Thank you for the long reply. I appreciate the detail.

The case I really like is 2 slot and ITX, which is why I haven't purchased it yet. I worry when I look at the current trend of GPU size.

Reactions: Soul_Est

penghutw

Trash Compacter
Nov 23, 2018
Can I ask why you've chosen to limit the case to 295mm length GPUs?

is it because support for full length (305mm) GPU would end up in wasted space?

maxdfw

Smol Form Factor
Aug 21, 2019
The purpose of this case will be to offer a compact solution for housing common components such as an SFX power supply, full sized graphics card, and 50 mm CPU cooler in a anodized aluminum chassis.

The layout is nothing new, featuring the same back to back layout found in the Dancases A4-SFX. However, it will feature a unique internal structure.

-power supply mounted onto 4x 16 mm aluminum standoffs, supported by motherboard tray, front panel, and side panel on all sides. This allows the power supply to exhaust air through the bottom of the case through an opening, and allows the user to access the back switch of the power supply without opening the case.

-power supply cable routed through the bottom without cable extension. This is a cost saving feature that also helps reduce the height of the case while making space for a extra top panel fan. Power cable will need to be zip tied to rectangular openings at the bottom of case and routing through the back panel.

-motherboard tray mounted at two points in the bottom, one point in the back, and one point in the middle of the case with aluminum standoffs to the side panels for increased space efficiency.

-precisely placed expansion card slit: to keep graphics card in place without additional parts

-standard length motherboard standoffs for compatibility with M.2 heatsinks on the back of the motherboard

Dimensions: 200 (H) x 298 (L) x 111 mm (W)
Volume: 6.6 L
Weight: 0.9 kg

motherboard: mini-ITX
power supply: SFX
expansion card: 2 slots (45 mm wide), 295 mm / 11.6 in long
CPU cooler: 52 mm
storage and cooling options: (top of case)
1) M.2 + Three 92 x 25 mm fans
2) M.2 + One 92 x 25 mm fan + one 3.5" drive / one 2.5" drive
3) M.2 + Two 2.5" drives
power button: preinstalled mechanical button, replaceable with any 16 mm button
riser compatibility: LiHeat 300 mm D type or VELKASE riser

Materials:
motherboard tray: 1 mm powder coated steel
Back and bottom panel: 1.2 mm or 1.5 mm powder coated aluminum
front and top panel: 1.2 mm or 1.5 mm aluminum
side panels: 1.5 mm sandblasted aluminum

with riser: $119.99
without riser: $99.99

shipping to United States: $19.99
shipping worldwide: $39.99

Kickstarter: No
Release date: TBD

Top: brushed aluminum
Bottom: sandblasted aluminum

Is something wrong with the picture links?