Motherboard Thin ITX Discussion Thread

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
thank you. that sounds great and should absolutely work for 4 SATA SSDs. Guess I'll grab one of those boards and build a new NAS for the company...

I have one prototype left, which is not perfect but fine to build in. If you like to check it out I can send it to you for a discount price. It comes with internal 19V PSU and cooler. Just let me know (PM).

Thank you for the offer, I am intrigued but have no funds at the moment I'm afraid.

I bought @CC Ricers prototype MT4s case and have bought a load of kit to go in that, and that has left me with no PC money. Sadly shipping was expensive and paying VAT bumped things up.

If anything, I should be selling my H81T and Q87T boards, as one has been replaced by a NUC, and the other was a spur of the moment purchase as I had the CPU / cooler / RAM / PSU all in the parts drawer. That did make for a cheap build that has mostly sat unused in its box.

Merci @GuilleAcoustic , I had a quick look at that possible wrinkle and it seems OK.

I know that on larger boards M.2 slots share resources with PCIe slots and SATA ports.

Asus are saying on the Q87 web page that the Mini SATA and Mini PCIe are the same slot and cannot be used at the same time, but there is no mention of a conflict between mSATA and SATA.
I will consult the manual next just to check.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Thank you for the offer, I am intrigued but have no funds at the moment I'm afraid.

I bought @CC Ricers prototype MT4s case and have bought a load of kit to go in that, and that has left me with no PC money. Sadly shipping was expensive and paying VAT bumped things up.

If anything, I should be selling my H81T and Q87T boards, as one has been replaced by a NUC, and the other was a spur of the moment purchase as I had the CPU / cooler / RAM / PSU all in the parts drawer. That did make for a cheap build that has mostly sat unused in its box.

Merci @GuilleAcoustic , I had a quick look at that possible wrinkle and it seems OK.

I know that on larger boards M.2 slots share resources with PCIe slots and SATA ports.

Asus are saying on the Q87 web page that the Mini SATA and Mini PCIe are the same slot and cannot be used at the same time, but there is no mention of a conflict between mSATA and SATA.
I will consult the manual next just to check.

fully understand. one also needs food to survive, not only computers. :p

well, as you seem to like the case I just keep the prototype for you. I have no hurries to sell it. :)

Reactions: Arboreal

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015

I hope my case was worth the wait and the cost! I'm looking forward to see what you build with it and feel free to post it in my MT4 thread :)

Reactions: Arboreal

MelonGx

Chassis Packer
Feb 28, 2019
Case: Chiphell member’s order-made fanless case (2L)
CPU: i5-8400T
MB: Gigabyte GA-IMB310TN
RAM: 8GBx2 (up to 32GBx2 but it doesn’t support Native 3200MHz SO-DIMMs)
GPU: UHD630
SSD: Intel Pro 1500 mSATA 180GB
PSU: Lenovo Slim 135W (20V) with converter

Reactions: REVOCCASES

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Just here to refresh the thread! Waiting for the S4T to enjoy this beauty with a 4750G! And soon a 5700G, because ASrock just released a new BIOS to support the new APUs!
And thanks to the ThinITX layout, there is plenty of space for a BlackRidge with the 120mm Arctic P12 Slim fan 😍

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Just here to refresh the thread! Waiting for the S4T to enjoy this beauty with a 4750G! And soon a 5700G, because ASrock just released a new BIOS to support the new APUs!
And thanks to the ThinITX layout, there is plenty of space for a BlackRidge with the 120mm Arctic P12 Slim fan 😍

Looks great! You always do the coolest builds, can't wait to see it!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Looks great! You always do the coolest builds, can't wait to see it!
Thanks man!! I am struggling to decide if I want the SATA SSD also. In that case I have to ditch the BlackRidge for the L9i, and I don't know how are the difference of both cooling an 4750G/5700G 😂
Also, maybe I will go for the HDplex 400W to be sure? Still checking!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Also want to replace the JST connector on the HD plex. Do you think I can use a normal CPU 4 pin style connector? it is save?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Also want to replace the JST connector on the HD plex. Do you think I can use a normal CPU 4 pin style connector? it is save?
I replaced it with something like this on my HDPlex 160W and had no issues. It should be safe, you aren't pulling that much current through.
YMMV, and I'm not an electrical engineer, so don't take my word as gospel tho!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
If you want to know, Temps at stock (all core at 3600MHz) with Blender Benchmark scene for 20 minutes are max 56C.And the system is DEAD QUIET.

Overclocking all core at 4000MHz it reach 65C Max. But I have no clue regarding the VRM temp though. THey don't have any heatsink on it, but the fan blows into them.

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
eiselx86 said:
@Windfall I haven't checked what models are available for the am4 platform, gotta check later tonight.
No, I don't think there is. Taobao (and all other china shops) make it hard to browse by parameter.
If you'd want we could do a Google Docs spreadsheet together? Would be nice for other people!

I've been looking at the ASRock IMB-1215 due to the x16 PCI connector. My main need is PCI connector for a dedicated GPU. I'm gonna build a workstation that can handle autoCAD and light gaming.
Try Parcel Up.

If you want to know, Temps at stock (all core at 3600MHz) with Blender Benchmark scene for 20 minutes are max 56C.And the system is DEAD QUIET.

Overclocking all core at 4000MHz it reach 65C Max. But I have no clue regarding the VRM temp though. THey don't have any heatsink on it, but the fan blows into them.
Is that M.2 barbecuing over the northbridge? BTW I have one of these boards.

Marzipan said:
hello to those in-the-know. can you share what thin ITX options are available to use with the Intel 9700T or 9900T processors?
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-H310T/HelpDesk_CPU/

MOD BREAK: To enhance readability, please avoid multi-posting. There's a multi-quote feature ... I merged your 3 posts into a single one ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
There is no northbridge in the X300. Actually, having the fan blowing on top, the temps are max 52C under load 👌🏼
The super IO chip is slightly to the left which does get hot under duty load, at least it is not right under the M.2 like the Asus designs. The Asrock H410 has the whole M.2 slot array pushed back away from the Northbridge heatsink.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
The super IO chip is slightly to the left which does get hot under duty load, at least it is not right under the M.2 like the Asus designs. The Asrock H410 has the whole M.2 slot array pushed back away from the Northbridge heatsink.
The Super I/O is responsbile of the Fan, Serial port and other a a few thing. The X300 is a real Chipset-Less motherboard, everything like Sata, PCIeXpress lane, connection comes directly from the CPU. Intel instead is still using the PCH, non matter what. This is really a great tiny board! I wish it could have had a second NVME or some Gen2 Usb 3.1, but to be an OEM cards, is really nice!

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
http://roddines.blogspot.com/2015/12/thin-mini-itx-motherboard-overview.html
A pretty definitive array of thin ITX info, Picture of H510T2
Update: just got my H510T2 on 9/16. No DisplayPort at all. 2 HDMIs like other T2 boards which are made only for the Chinese market. They have no TPM at all as this is banned in China and Russia unless made on home soil. Taiwan is not home soil. Tested with 10th gen I7T bios is full GUI, not arrow navigation only like 410 boards. Both Asrock and Asus have full GUI on their Chinese Market Thin ITX boards the Asrock 410 and the Asus 510T2. As you see M.2 and wifi will be over the Weber BBQ Chip. Used 19V HDplex 400Watt PS with modified harness 6 pin Molex to 4 pin std CPU Molex double wired on 2 pins. Board should run with a 2 pin supply harness such as Luna DNK PS or std adapter harness supplied by HDplex. Now to see if I can get Catalina or Mojave installed, (Got my Asrock H410Tm to boot Cat flawlessly Going to move it in NFC Skyreach 4 Tiny)

Last edited:
Reactions: Windfall and fabio