Motherboard Thin ITX Discussion Thread

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Its all just to make sure the board works and yes on the dynatron noise maker. generic DDR4 and a plexor 250 M.2 drive.

Its going to be the guts of a passive case of my own creation.......

Very nice! I hope you make a build log of it!

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
So I got enough parts together to test my GA-IMB310TN
CPU: Intel core i5 8400
HSF: Thermaltake Engine 17
Generic cheap ~120w 12v brick

There may be a conflict between the heatsink and the coils on the board. I can't slide a piece of paper between them so I think they are contacting, may be preventing the heatsink from getting good contact with the CPU. Used the stress test in Intel XTU, temperatures never went above 70C. Not to the credit of the cooler - the motherboard was constantly current limited and didn't allow more than 30w to be drawn. I couldn't find any way to raise the limit. Any processor installed effectively becomes a "t" processor.

I'll be keeping this board and tinkering with it more later but unfortunately I have to can it for my father's build. I was okay with a single compromise on PCIe x4, but with the 30w current limit I feel it's too much of a handicap for what I intended. Great for something low power though.

(Edit: Does anyone know if an Asrock IMB-1213 or 1212 can be found anywhere?)

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
So I got enough parts together to test my GA-IMB310TN
CPU: Intel core i5 8400
HSF: Thermaltake Engine 17
Generic cheap ~120w 12v brick

There may be a conflict between the heatsink and the coils on the board. I can't slide a piece of paper between them so I think they are contacting, may be preventing the heatsink from getting good contact with the CPU. Used the stress test in Intel XTU, temperatures never went above 70C. Not to the credit of the cooler - the motherboard was constantly current limited and didn't allow more than 30w to be drawn. I couldn't find any way to raise the limit. Any processor installed effectively becomes a "t" processor.

I'll be keeping this board and tinkering with it more later but unfortunately I have to can it for my father's build. I was okay with a single compromise on PCIe x4, but with the 30w current limit I feel it's too much of a handicap for what I intended. Great for something low power though.

(Edit: Does anyone know if an Asrock IMB-1213 or 1212 can be found anywhere?)

I have a 1213, but not willing to part with it. There was a link to a 1215 somewhere around here.
I know who does have them for sale, though. Contact @cirrus7, he uses them in his fanless PCs, and said he would sell them.
Be warned, they ain't cheap!

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
piccies:

It’s pretty thin, even with the massive frame.

Amazing stuff, a dream comes true !

Can you please post a picture of the power setup ?
The spec. sheet on Taobao specifies a 19V PSU.

Also, by translating the first sentence, I understand that the 6-Pin onboard Molex connector outputs power from the DC-IN plug (as thin itx motherboards usually do).
That would explain why they say that, above a 1050 Ti, you need to power your GPU "directly" from the PSU.

Note: The motherboard does not have a baffle at the factory. The graphics card must be purchased separately with a 6PIN power supply cable. The DC power supply is up to 200W and the maximum support is 1050TI.
If you want to use a higher graphics card, you need to change the power supply method and supply power to the graphics card separately.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018

Also, by translating the first sentence, I understand that the 6-Pin onboard Molex connector outputs power from the DC-IN plug (as thin itx motherboards usually do).
That would explain why they say that, above a 1050 Ti, you need to power your GPU "directly" from the PSU.

I'm using a 12v brick via the 4 pin barrel and can confirm it works.

I have a 200W HDPLEX AC/DC (19V with 6 pin output). I'm tempted to try that with the board's 6pin and confirm that it supports both input voltages. I am a bit concerned give the low level of documentation that it might fry the board.

Reactions: watts_happening

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Board 6 pin is output to power GPU (maybe up to 120W, i.e. GTX1660Ti) with extension cable like this:

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016

One of the spec sheets on the product page shows:
1x DC Jack Colay 6pin ATX

and the next says:
2: PWR_IN (6PIN 12V/19V).
I thought this means that it can be powered internally and externally using either 12V or 19V.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
One of the spec sheets on the product page shows:
1x DC Jack Colay 6pin ATX

and the next says:
2: PWR_IN (6PIN 12V/19V).
I thought this means that it can be powered internally and externally using either 12V or 19V.

That's what I took it to mean, it might be that the HDPLEX output may not align with the pin-out on the board. As per @Vlad502's post.

Reactions: Jello

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

I believe that when you're powering the board from the barrel connector on T-ITX, the internal power becomes an output, but when you power the board from the internal molex, the barrel connector doesn't output. Could be wrong though.

Reactions: Goatee

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I have a 1213, but not willing to part with it. There was a link to a 1215 somewhere around here.
I know who does have them for sale, though. Contact @cirrus7, he uses them in his fanless PCs, and said he would sell them.
Be warned, they ain't cheap!
Thanks for the pointers. Looks like the 1215 is 19v, so I'll keep an eye on 1213 & 1212. I haven't found them in the US yet, seems to mostly be in the EU. I may just have to bite the bullet and have one shipped at some point.

Reactions: Windfall

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I believe that when you're powering the board from the barrel connector on T-ITX, the internal power becomes an output, but when you power the board from the internal molex, the barrel connector doesn't output. Could be wrong though.

Yes, this is how thin-itx boards usually work. @QinX found out that trick back in the days.
Used succesfully that function on quite a few builds myself :) either 19V or 12V.

19V output :

12V ouput :

I have a 200W HDPLEX AC/DC (19V with 6 pin output). I'm tempted to try that with the board's 6pin and confirm that it supports both input voltages. I am a bit concerned give the low level of documentation that it might fry the board.

If it works with 12V, stick to 12V ;)

Reactions: Windfall and Goatee

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
@aquelito Are there 2 images in your last post? If so I can't see them.
I wanted to ask about voltage tolerance on thin ITX.

My Intel DH61AG has the usual HP etc. barrel connector and also a 2 pin DC in socket like half a CPU power socket (Minifit Jr?).

I have a spare Lenovo laptop brick which I'd like to convert to that socket fitting. Will the 20V it puts out be within the ITX board input tolerance?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
@Arboreal : you should be good. Intel doc specifies page 60 a 10% tolerance.

Just finished this build inside an Antec ISK 100 : really like that small Polulu 19v to 12v board !

Very nice build!

How hot does this little DC-DC buck get? I'm still looking for some small 150W DC-DC buck but most I can find all need (or recommend) a quite large heatsink.

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
@Arboreal : you should be good. Intel doc specifies page 60 a 10% tolerance.

Just finished this build inside an Antec ISK 100 : really like that small Pololu 19v to 12v board !

Thanks for that little gem @aquelito, I can have a look at 20V power again then!
I'm sure I looked at the Intel Thin ITX specs book before, but obviously missed that vital line!

The Q87T is resting at the moment, as I have been working on setting up my MT4S rig, which has been quite interesting so far.
I now understand the problems with noisy 40mm fans when the Flex ATX PSU gets hot!
Without the GTX 1050Ti running it's quiet, but when the demand increases, the fan ramps up a lot, and it's quite an intrusive noise compared to larger fans.

Your ISK 100 looks great, and I think the 19V - 12V Pololu board is invaluable. Maybe I can brick power the Q87T and feed a GPU on the 4x PCIe slot from a Pololu...

How's the GT 1030 working out? What power do you think it's drawing? As it's 4x on the Q87, a GT 1030 may work within the 25W PCIe power envelope

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
How hot does this little DC-DC buck get? I'm still looking for some small 150W DC-DC buck but most I can find all need (or recommend) a quite large heatsink.

I do not think I push it far enough to get it hot. The Zalman CPU fan also provides some airflow.
I'll try to take some measurements.

If you are looking to push it close to the 150W, have a look at the comments on Polulu's blog : they provide a freed 3D file to print a case with a 40mm fan for the board.
Really the cutest and smallest piece of hardware I own !

Your ISK 100 looks great, and I think the 19V - 12V Pololu board is invaluable. Maybe I can brick power the Q87T and feed a GPU on the 4x PCIe slot from a Pololu...

How's the GT 1030 working out? What power do you think it's drawing? As it's 4x on the Q87, a GT 1030 may work within the 25W PCIe power envelope

A GT 1030 should consume around 35W under Furmark.

It's not 25W but @GuilleAcoustic was able to run it successfully from a 4X slot (using the same Asus Q87 MB).

In my case, I use my custom riser with 12V tracks cut : the Polulu board provides all the power needed, nothing comes from the MB slot.
Also, my motherboard has a 16X slot :)

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
BTW, an other thin ITX build I forgot to share : just a small mod of a RGeek L80s to fit a HDPLEX 160W PSU.

Reactions: Arboreal

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
It's not 25W but @GuilleAcoustic was able to run it successfully from a 4X slot (using the same Asus Q87 MB).

Exactly, been running GT1030 on my Asus Q87T for quite a long time without issue. I was using a 35W i7-4785T and some 90W Dell brick 19.5V or so, but their's a tolerance on the DC voltage you provide (10% if I remember correctly).

I asked Asus directly and they replied I should be fine since I wasn't running the max TDP allowed on the CPU side.

Reactions: Arboreal